Students

Medical Students!

Calling all medical students!  I've seen several of you mention residency (and how long that adds to your schooling!).  Take this opportunity to introduce yourself.  Please mention your year, if FI is also a med student/resident, and your likely residency.

Re: Medical Students!

• I'm a third year

FI is *not* a medical student, although we met years before we started dating when he worked in a hospital and I worked on an ambulance

I am almost positive that I will be heading for an Emergency Medicine residency (3 years)

• Hi!  I'm Melanie, I'm a fourth year, and I'm applying for OB/GYN (4 years), and will possibly be pursuing a fellowship (an additional 3 years).  My FI is Kevin, he is a third year, and he is still not 100% sure but is considering an emergency medicine residency (either 3 or 4 years, depending on the program).  We met in our freshman year of college (we lived down the hall from each other and we were lab partners in our intro bio class).  I'm a year ahead of him because I finished college in 3 years, and we're at the same med school now.
  • Hi Melaine!  You are lucky you ended up in the same school!  I wish you all the best in the match and in your planning!
  • Hi!  I'm also a third year, and tossing around specialty ideas...Family Medicine, Psychiatry, or Neurology...I'm all over the map right now!

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_medical-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:684Discussion:fcf532d0-e169-4e2f-aad2-e36bb86b7395Post:121ec2c4-9dfb-4831-ada8-e4ee68f900fe">Re: Medical Students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi!  I'm also a third year, and tossing around specialty ideas...Family Medicine, Psychiatry, or Neurology...I'm all over the map right now!
    Posted by BusyBritt[/QUOTE]

I'm doing my psych rotation right now and while I love some of the inpatient psych (where you really can see a difference in a week or two) I'm tired of having my life threatened by psychotic people.  I have the utmost respect for anyone going into that field! 

Neurology is a fourth year rotation in my school, but as a migraine sufferer, neurologists have changed my life - saved it really... That's also an awesome field!
  • Hello!
    I'm a 4th year amidst studying for CS - ugh! Such a stupid test!

I am going into Radiology and my FI is an ENT resident right now, we are lucky that I was able to match at the same hospital (and that it really was my top pick!).  I love 4th year, it has been an awesome year and I am so sad that it is about to end!

Good luck everyone and great idea SteveandKris!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Good luck on CS - although I doubt you'll need it!  It's really not that bad, but it's so nerve wracking anyway!
  • That reminds me - I have to register for CS and CK - we have to take both by December of 4th year... so I have 10 months left to get it done...  I want to be finished with them both by the end of June...

I can't believe how much faster clerkships go by!
  • MelanieK - saw that you want to do MFM, I always thought those OB/GYNs were pretty cool!! I'm interested in women's imaging which involves working closely with MFMs in addition to mammos, etc so maybe I'll see you around!

Good luck with your rank list and match, not too much longer!!

SteveandKris- yes get them both done as early as possible I took CK really soon after 3rd year and it was the best decision!
  • I'm waiting to hear back from Army Reserves!  (They told me 3-weeks about 2 weeks ago).  I'll be headed for a civilian match though! 
  • DONE WITH CS! (hopefully! don't want to jinx it too much) Smile
  • Jeanna - Awesome he can travel with you!  (BTW, your date is the week before mine) - how much of a factor was graduation when picking a date?  I graduate the 20th.  June 4th gives me a little while to run around crazy before the wedding.

• SteveandKris- I picked my date because its right after my graduation. I graduate on a thursday and get married on a saturday. its gonna be a crazy week, but i wanted time to take a honeymoon and get settled before residency and some residencies start in mid-june now.
    Photobucket
  • Hello everyone! I'm so glad I found this post. I see so many posts but I feel as if none of them can relate since we live in a different world.

I'm only a first year so I don't have anything to share as far as residency and such.

I have been looking for advice though on potential wedding dates and how that fits in with medical school.

**Calling all 3rd/4th years!***

I recently have been bit hard by the wedding bug! My bf and I have our 2nd year anniversary next weekend. We are not engaged yet, but had decided a while back that my graduation would be a great time to get married.

Recently, we have decided that is way too far off for us. We are getting more serious about when to have it and some students have suggested Spring break of 3rd year. Anytime this year would be too soon seeing that we would be paying for most of it. Next year I will be dealing with step 1 and then starting my clinical rotations. 2012 seems like the next best chance.

Have any of you had the same situation? Do you think you could have planned for a wedding your 3rd year?

Thanks and good luck on all your matches!
  • baybearjb- the majority of students in my school either:
    1) get married after taking step 1 between 2nd and 3rd year (we usually have about 2-5 weeks of vacation depending on how long people decided to study for step 1)
    2) get married during  break during third year (we get 2 weeks off that varies based on your schedule)
    3) wait til graduation

I'm waiting until the weekend after I graduate. It works out for me because I'm young (I'm 24 and a 3rd yr) so I won't be waiting too long to get married (altho i'll be with my fiance for 7 1/2 years by then!) For us it made sense. There have been a ton of weddings and engagements in my class though, and no one has been having trouble planning a wedding during medical school. Just make sure your engagement is long enough that you dont need to stress out and rush through planning. The only way I can see a wedding during med school being an issue is if you plan on DIY everything- like pocketfold invites, all centerpieces, pomanders, decorations, etc etc. That can be time consuming, but otherwise no big deal
    Photobucket
  • I'll be a second year resident and my FI will be an intern when we get married (I'm a fourth year, he's a third year now).  Most people in my school get married between first and second year (our last real summer off), during fourth year (lots of flexibility and free time), or after graduation.  For people in my school, I honestly don't think that third year is a feasible time to do it - clerkships keep us super busy, and most seem to really need to use the one week off that we have after we finish family medicine as a vacation - everyone is just so burned out.  But of course things might be different for you.  

About me - my FI and I decided to wait until October 2011 (he proposed in October 2009) because I really wanted a fall wedding, and we thought that it would be hard to do it when I am an intern, but wouldn't be so bad for him when he's an intern (I'm going into OB/GYN, he's most likely going into emergency medicine).  We're also young - I'm 24 now, we'll both be 26 when we get married, so we don't feel rushed in that regard.  At the same time though, we'll have been together for over 8 years by the time we finally tie the knot!  We're okay with that, but that's just us.

So...bottom line: IMHO, if you're willing to wait until spring break of your third year to get married, it might not be the worst idea to wait until the fall or spring of your fourth year instead.  It's just another year (or less than that) more, and I think it might really help you keep your sanity.  I loved third year, but it's not easy, and if you have the option, you might want to make things less complicated and busy if you can.  HTH!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_medical-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:fcf532d0-e169-4e2f-aad2-e36bb86b7395Post:dfd1cde6-3351-4255-bc7e-10b459ace18a">Re: Medical Students!</a>:
    [QUOTE] That mid June start is a little scary, but it seems like anything I've looked at is a june 20 or later, giving me a clean 2 weeks. 
    Posted by SteveandKris[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually, one of the programs I interviewed at told us that they start on June 4th (on neon yellow paper, no less - I guess they really wanted us to remember!).  So I would be careful, it seems like programs are starting earlier and earlier with all of the orientation stuff they have to do.  Most seem to start in mid-June (at least for OB/GYN).</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_students_medical-students?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:684Discussion:fcf532d0-e169-4e2f-aad2-e36bb86b7395Post:953b0321-013b-4d84-ae5c-face84cec048">Re: Medical Students!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Medical Students! : Actually, one of the programs I interviewed at told us that they start on June 4th (on neon yellow paper, no less - I guess they really wanted us to remember!).  So I would be careful, it seems like programs are starting earlier and earlier with all of the orientation stuff they have to do.  Most seem to start in mid-June (at least for OB/GYN).
    Posted by MelanieK2011[/QUOTE]

yeah i cant believe how early some of them are starting, they used to all start in july! what ive find at a few of the programs that im looking into is that you can negotiate a starting time within 2 weeks of a certain date. i still dont get how that works though
    Photobucket
  • ive heard some of the places with negotiable starting dates will let you do the majority of the training through online modules
    Photobucket
  • Thanks Jeanna, Steve&Kris and Melanie for all of your input! Sorry it took me a while to reply.
    The last I heard, my school does get a spring break 3rd year but not really a Christmas break. It is just up to your rotation.

I would consider waiting for the summer/fall of my 4th year but I am a little concerned about the price increase seeing that it is the most popular wedding time. We would be paying for most of the wedding.

Also, we want to be married before we live together. At that time we would be 3hrs apart so moving and the wedding have to be planned just right. I guess if I have to wait until the fall of 4th year I could still move on time and stay with family until the wedding.

If I go ahead and do it 3rd year I could just use my last summers/christmas breaks to do most of the planning ahead of time.

Whew, so much to consider.

Thank you all for your input. It always helps to get the opinion of someone ahead of you.

When is the big match?!
  • HEY! totally random, but I know someone on here will know

On Ultrasound what does a hemoabdomen look like? We are starting U/S in a few weeks but I need to know for a case I have to work up by tomorrow :)

thanks!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • March 18th....so soon, yikes!
  • steveandkris: thanks! that is what I had thought, but I was doing a case and we haven't done US yet.  It was talking about a swirling echogenicity. Oh well no worries :) 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Love is like infinity: You can't have more or less infinity, and you can't compare two things to see if they're "equally infinite." Infinity just is, and that's the way I think love is, too.
    Fred Rogers
  • Crossing my fingers for all of you 4th years!!

One week to go you guys!!
  • Hey!! I'm new to these boards but was so glad to find a medical student section! I'm just an MS1 - only one more term to go :) and recently got engaged. FI is a HS english teacher and our wedding is over christmas break of MS2 year. Similar to some of you he is willing to go where ever for residency and we actually wouldn't mind moving away from OR for a bit. I'm not sure what I want to do yet - everything seems so interesting, so for now I only have a DO NOT want to do list! haha! 

Just wanted to introduce myself and congrats to all of you who matched a few weeks ago!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards