North Carolina-Outer Banks

Wedding dress alterations/walking in sand then heels

Hey gals... so I know I need to get to it when it comes to a wedding dress. I was wondering though... how are you all figuring out how to alter the length of your dresses. I plan on wearing heels for the reception, but honestly, I'll probably be in bare feet for the ceremony. I want to see what you're all doing... I know with some of the fabrics for the wedding dresses, it's tough to alter certain things on the length. I don't want to find the dress of my dreams only to find out the bottom can't be altered the way I hoped.... how are you doing the difference with your ceremony and your reception? (I hope this makes sense, what I'm trying to ask)

Re: Wedding dress alterations/walking in sand then heels

• mandafite821mandafite821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I am going barefoot on the sand, and then wearing a cute pair of flats or flip-flops for the reception.  I usually take my heels off at everyone's reception anyways to dance, so I just figure it would be easier to go with flats.  
  • edited December 2011
    I am getting alterations on Wednesday!!!! I plan on going barefoot for the reception as well as the ceremony. As PP said, I usually take off my shoes anyways. Since our reception is at the event home, I'm not as concerned with going barefoot. We are having a very casual wedding/reception so this will work for me.
    Since I'm not wearing shoes at all, I just plan on getting the bottum hemmed to a comfortable length.
  • hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I went barefoot for the ceremony and wore a pair a sandals to the reception that were an inch-inch and a half high.  I got the dress altered for the sandals. 
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I;m going barefoot during the ceremony and wearing birkenstocks during the ceremony (we always said we'd get married in out birks!).  I'd hem for the shoes for the reception. You can walk barefoot with a little extra fabric, but a too-short dress with heels might look weird.
  • jendem8jendem8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone I talked to had a great idea... I'm wearing wedges (thick espadrille type wedges) for my ceremony that will be the same size as my heels (about 4").  I have to wear pink heels for my reception and some pics, so since I didn't want to be tripping over my dress, wearing wedges seemed to make a lot of sense (they won't sink into the sand!).  My bridesmaids will go barefoot (their choice) during the ceremony, but I don't 't want to look like I'm swimming in my dress.
    image June 22, 2012
  • sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_wedding-dress-alterationswalking-sand-then-heels?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:ce48b072-11b7-457e-91bc-8859365c9d0fPost:804f6c03-62f4-4627-823c-2233d84f4582">Re: Wedding dress alterations/walking in sand then heels</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went barefoot for the ceremony and wore a pair a sandals to the reception that were an inch-inch and a half high.  I got the dress altered for the sandals. 
    Posted by hibiscus118[/QUOTE]

Ditto! I'm doing the same. I knew the dress would be a little long on the sand but the hem seems fine barefoot.
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • ktosh19ktosh19 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was thinking the same thing, wearing wedges for the ceremony and similar heels (or the wedges, again) for the reception. Only problem is I went to a beach wedding about a month ago and wore wedges..they sunk into the sand quite a bit. I ended up taking them off (didn't matter for that day), so I'm a little hesitant about the wedge-on-the-beach plan now. May depend on how packed/firm the sandy beach is. Maybe test it out first, if you can. ...Anyways, I'm leaning toward barefoot ceremony and hemming the dress for the reception, too.
  • edited December 2011
    Barefoot for the ceremony and 4" sparkly heels for the reception, and wedges to change into after all of the dancing.  Just take your time and walk slower down the beach.  That way there's lots of time to enjoy, smile and lots of pictures.  You've been waiting a long time for this day.  Milk it!  TIP:  And don't forget to look up and out to the horizon, rather than down where you're stepping.  All of your pictures will be of the top of your head.  Actually, too many people rush their walk down.  I had to slow the flower girls down by telling them to say one-macaroni-and-cheese, step, two-macaroni-and-cheese, step...  They were so excited, they were running.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards