North Carolina-Outer Banks

Being a Maid of Honor and a Bride is too stressful

I just have to vent to some people who will understand.  I am getting married in April, one of my friends is getting married in Feb and the other in June. I am Maid of honor in both of their weddings!  With mine smack dab in the middle!  I made them my co-maids of honor because I understood that planning a wedding and being a maid of honor is a lot of work.  I know that I accepted the position and I was happy to do it but that was before I knew that my one friend would become insane and require Bachlorette parties in Las Vegas and expensive BM dresses and make up trials for the bridesmaids.  I just think it's funny and annoying that other people's weddings are causing me more stress then my own. I want mine to be a fun, relaxed party!  Uggg! I just wanted to complain for a minute Embarassed Thanks for listening!

Re: Being a Maid of Honor and a Bride is too stressful

• sarahebrownsarahebrown member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Summer,
    I'm so sorry you're going through this! It is ALOT to be asked of you right now as you're planning your own wedding. And yes, all the costs of being in a wedding really DO add up! I hope, if nothing else, you can get some good ideas of what you do or don't want in your wedding/wedding party from being in your friend's. You can vent here anytime :)
    Trying to Conceive Ticker
  • OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    No worries, that's what we are here for!

Sorry to hear that this is causing so much stress for you.  I must ask though, why does this one friend "require" a Vegas party?  Does she not realize that the economy is in the pits right now and that you too are planning/paying for your wedding?  I didn't realize that a bride was able to tell her bridal party where her party should take place.  She should feel lucky that she is even being given one!  Unless she is paying for your make-up trial, I wouldn't feel forced into having to go. 

This just goes to show how different women really are when it comes to their own wedding.  It sounds like you are cool, calm & collected for your own wedding.....just make sure you stay that way and don't let the other girls wedding stress get to you.  A glass or two of wine should help mellow things out for ya ;)

Anytime you need to vent....you just come on in ;)

• hibiscus118hibiscus118 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina-outer-banks_being-maid-of-honor-bride-stressful?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:598Discussion:ac572edf-aed9-4eba-9590-4526b67ad318Post:2e0598e4-597d-437a-9e27-331ae587a5b7">Re: Being a Maid of Honor and a Bride is too stressful</a>:
    [QUOTE]No worries, that's what we are here for! Sorry to hear that this is causing so much stress for you. <strong> I must ask though, why does this one friend "require" a Vegas party?  Does she not realize that the economy is in the pits right now and that you too are planning/paying for your wedding?  I didn't realize that a bride was able to tell her bridal party where her party should take place.  She should feel lucky that she is even being given one!  Unless she is paying for your make-up trial, I wouldn't feel forced into having to go. </strong> This just goes to show how different women really are when it comes to their own wedding.  It sounds like you are cool, calm & collected for your own wedding.....just make sure you stay that way and don't let the other girls wedding stress get to you.  A glass or two of wine should help mellow things out for ya ;) Anytime you need to vent....you just come on in ;)
    Posted by OBX2011[/QUOTE]

This exactly.  She sure is treating you like this is a "position" instead of being a friend.
    Laura & Dusty - September 7th, 2010!
    Hatteras, North Carolina
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    UPDATED 11/05/10 Lots of Wedding PICS!
    UPDATED 07/28/10 My Planning Bio Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with hibiscus and OBX.  My bachelorette party is in Vegas, but I would never have "required" it.  I really wanted it and my MOH knew that.  But I would have been appreciative with whatever the girls wanted to throw.  I love going out in Baltimore so I was fine with that.  However, my MOH asked the other girls and got them all excited about Vegas, so yay!  I also will not be "requiring" anything out of my girls for makeup and hair.  They can do what they want.  I will go to a salon for that stuff.  If they want to join, great :)  If they want to do their own, thats fine too.

I guess everyone does have different opinions about what a bridesmaid/MOH should be able to do for the bride. I just want my friends to be there for the fun parts and maybe help out with some DIY - wine and food provided by me as a bonus :)  My bridesmaid dress even went on clearance at DB for like $60.  I was so excited that it ended up being so economically friendly for my friends.  AND this dress can really be worn again.  I know everyone says that, but seriously!  Its not even listed as a bridesmaid dress. Its a "special event" dress
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • mandafite821mandafite821 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Who knew that we as brides were allowed to tell our bride's maids where to have our bachlorette parties???  I mean I would have requested Italy!!!  J/K

No worries about venting, that is what we are here for!  Sounds like she is requesting a lot from all of you girls, and I am sure that they are also feeling the same way, and are just afraid to say anything.  At least your girls will say that you were a wonderful bride, who made things easy for them!  Please feel free to vent anytime!!!!
  • Carygirl14Carygirl14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Make up trials for the bridesmaids?  Is she insane?!!  Sorry you have to put up with a bridezilla.  Hang in there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards