Canada-Ontario

Took A Break/Photography Questions

Hello again ladies,

How have you all been? I hope everyone had a great holiday season. I took a small break from wedding planning to enjoy all the family stuff and questions on wedding plans :)
I went to the Hamilton Bridal Show the other weekend and picked up info like a mad woman. I'm now enjoying the process of going through it all and trying to get on with my next task.

FINDING A PHOTOGRAPHER!

I find there are WAY too many of them out there, and prices can range from one extreme to the other. It's hard to just pick one, and to find out who is good.

I thought I would come and find out some basics on finding a photographer.
What are some key questions to ask when you are looking for a photographer? (I'm probably not thinking about the most impportant ones).
I have two in mind... and thought I would check if anyone has ever used them or knows anything about them.
1) Splash Photography
2) FotoFlare Photography
3) AC Imgages Photography
4) Village Studio Photography

I'm hoping to book my photographer soon, since I'd love to get my engagement photos done possibly this Spring.
*Melissa*
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
*Our furbabies: Oski (dog), Jax (cat)*
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
~*Good luck to my BFPB's: MercierGirl, DBoo0510, mrskristend821, & NewbieLisette*~

Re: Took A Break/Photography Questions

• edited December 2011
    Hi Melissa -

I am in the exact stage that you are in right now. All that we have booked so far is the venue, and we are about to narrow down a photographer. I completely understand how overwhelming it is to choose a photographer as they are a dime a dozen it seems. These are some of the questions we made sure to ask when choosing our photographer.

1) Ask exactly what is included with any packages you decide to go with. How many albums, prints, etc. Also make sure that any images you receive from them come unmarked so you can print them on your own if you would like extras.

2) If you photographer is offering a packages with two people shooting, make sure that you meet the other shooter and see any of their work. After all, you don't want to only love half of your wedding photos.

3) Obviously, ask to see their portfolio. All good photographers should have a book of their best images to show you. In addition, they should be able to give you 2-3 references from past clients. I can't emphasize how important this is. We thought that we were going to go with one particular photgrapher, and while he has beautiful photos, a past client said that they were constantly in the way of other guests at the wedding and rude to family members. I cut them out of our search for that reason.

4) When booking a certain number of hours, make sure to ask if that includes unlimited locations, and whether travel time is included in the hourly package (sometime it is, then you get less coverage then you really wanted.)

I hope this helps as a start!!!
  • ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I admit, I didn't go into my photographer meeting very well prepared. My main goal was just to make sure I clicked with her (no pun intended). I was lucky; I hired the first photographer I met.

That being said, it's probably a good idea to ask:
    - Do you have all of the rights to the photos you'll receive?
    - Will you receive every single shot he/she takes, or just the ones THEY choose?
    - Who is their backup plan if they encounter an emergency on the day your wedding? Can you meet them/view their portfolio?
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • edited December 2011
    Do they carry backup equipment?
    How many shooters do you get?
    How many images can you expect to be taken per hour?
    What is their charge for extra hours (or 1/2 hours) of work?
    Do they require vendor meals? IF so, do they have dietary restrictions?
    Do you get to keep the negatives? The proofs? If so, how do you get them? (on DVD,CD, USB drive etc)
    Do they keep a backup of the pictures and if so for how long?
    Who gets the copyrights to the images?
    Will they be using your pictures on their website? On pamphlets? In magazines? If so, can you approve which ones are used beforehand?
    How much does printing cost?
    How much experience does each photographer have? Have they had professional training (ie photography school) or is this just a hobby-gone-pro type deal?

*****If you are interested in them, make sure you ask them to call you if anyone else inquires about your date to give you a chance to make a deposit. I didn't do this, and I got SCREWED because of it*************

Hope this helps!! :)
  • silversparkssilversparks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

In addition to what everyone else said...

I think personality is among the most important issue - do you get along with this person? Do you think this person is flexible and likely to get along with the many different personalities in your WP? Is he or she comfortable working with kids (if applicable)? Is he or she comfortable with different scenarios and timing of pictures? How does he or she react to your ideas or special needs? General rule of thumb - no divas need apply. If he or she cares more about the "art" than making sure you're comfortable keep looking.

Also - how many functions does the photographer accept per day? (do you want someone who is going to be rushing in from another wedding or checking their watches and have to leave at a certain time even if you're running late and haven't cut the cake yet?)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards