Snarky Brides
Options

J&K

I just finished the Life as We Knew It trilogy.  I'm angry.  Did you read them/plan on reading them? Don't read my reviews unless you want big spoilers.

I'm not ready yet for the second Maze Runner book, so I'm reading Blood Red Road now. 

Re: J&K

• Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2012
    I have read them!  Why so angry?  I don't remember how they end, to be honest.  I don't remember being angry though.

And what you mean you're not ready for the second Maze Runner?  HOW CAN YOU NOT BE READY?!

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Ok, I just read your review of the third one.  Yeah, I thought most of the same things you did, but I was never super invested in the books, so they just didn't bother me as much.  But you make some excellently valid points. 

• Options
    Yeah, I read them back to back (to back), so I wanted to see some more realistic action. And the first one starts out SO strong--I was practically having heart palpitations wondering about food and shelter and emergency preparedness. 

I was so sad at the end of the first MR book. I need some time before I can handle The Scorch Trials :P  I'll let you know how this new one ends up, though.
  • Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    edited April 2012
    Oh, no dude, you should totally keep reading.  Seriously.  But I'm also interested in what you're reading now.

I just finished The Declaration trilogy, which was good until the last chapter when it got all preachy (well, all dystopians are preachy and political, but this was especially so) and irked the shiit out of me.

• Options
    I'll definitely read the other two (Maze Runner's a triology, right?).  I can't wait to find out what exactly happened to the earth and what they were doing with the whole glade and maze.

Blood Red Road got excellent reviews, but it's a little hard to get into.  I'm only a couple of pages in though.

I hear you on the preaching, which surprises me, since I would think the target audience would stand for that stuff less. My kids can't stand preachiness. 
  • Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    edited April 2012
    Yup, it's a trilogy.  You'll get your answers eventually ;)

Have you read When She Woke?  That one starts off really religious and preachy and I was thinking "Ugh, WHY did I BUY THIS?!"  But then by the end I realize I was super invested in the characters and I actually liked the plot.  I definitely think that books that can get the message across more subtly (HG and Divergent did it well, IMO) are more enjoyable.  You know they have a preachy point, but they're not all in your face about it.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards