Canada
Options

Timing Question!

Hi Ladies! I could use your opinions...

We have booked our reception and ceremony at the Royal York in TO next July. I am just trying to figure out the timing. I like the idea of a late ceremony with candles, do you think this is OK (it's a bit loose but just a general idea right now...)?

5:30 - harp music begins and guests begin to be seated for ceremony
6:00 - ceremony official start time
6:45 - guests go downstairs to enjoy cocktails and appies
7:40 - doors open to reception hall
8:00 - dinner official start time

Would the invitations say "ceremony at six o'clock / reception immediately following" or something along those lines....

I guess I am just wondering if 8pm is too late a start time for dinner? There will be lots of apps happening right after the ceremony. 

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Timing Question!

• Options
    LittlinLittlin member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you are using the Imperial Room like me - as long as everyone is gone and everything is packed up by 1:30 AM, they (the Royal York) are happy with dinner starting later.  Our cocktail hour is starting at 6 and doors are opening at 7, so our dinner will probably only start around 7:30 anyway.

Most people know to eat a late lunch if the ceremony is in the evening, and as long as there is food and drinks prior to dinner starting, I think most will be happy, IMO.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, that does help!
  • Options
    3plus3plus member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My timeline is almost identical to yours, just half an hour earlier, so I think you'll be just fine.  I don't think 8 is too late as you'll have something there to nibble on during the cocktail hour if they wish to do so.

As for the invitation, I'm struggling a bit with the wording right now as well.  Right now I have "Cocktails and dinner immediately following" I think.  If you're doing inserts for your invites, perhaps put something about the times on them as well as which rooms they need to be going to.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I might actually move it all back by half an hour, so we will be timeline twins! 

• Options
    miellenmiellen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it would be a good idea to move it to 7:30, since often dinner doesn't start on time, and having it start past 8 would be probably be a bit too late.
  • Options
    mel66mel66 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love your idea of a later ceremony with candles. That sounds great. The later dinner sounds great too, but I think 8pm or later is far too late. There are always chances of delays, and from my experience some of the elderly guests don't like eating dinner so late.

We will be having a cocktail hour with apps from 5:30-6:30 and then dinner for 7pm ish.
    *Melissa*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    *Our furbabies: Oski (dog), Jax (cat)*
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    ~*Good luck to my BFPB's: MercierGirl, DBoo0510, mrskristend821, & NewbieLisette*~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards