Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Confused about owner AND assistant photographer tipping

My photographer is the owner who is also bringing an assistant for the wedding. I know typically you do not tip the owner, but give them a nice thank you note. SHould I just tip the assistant giving the owner a thank you note, tip both the owner and the assistant, or tip neither and give the owner a thank you note?
Thank you!!!!

Re: Confused about owner AND assistant photographer tipping

• Options
    edited December 2011
    most the time the assistant does most the hard labor and the owner makes their pay. I would say tip the owner lightly and thanks, and tip the assistant a little more generously.
  • Options
    atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The assistant is being paid for their time as much as the owner (the owner is not pocketing as much of the package cost as people think - most of it goes back into the business for expenses and overhead- not the photogs paycheck).

I always tell my clients that a tip is not necessary but always appreciated. That being said If you choose to tip, a single tip amount given the owner/photographer with a note that say thank you to both the photographer and the assistant is appropriate. The photographer will then distribute a portion of the tip to the assistant accordingly. Only the photographer truly knows the quality of the assistants work.

I feel that it would be a bit rude to tip someones employee and not tip them, but that is my feelings personally (not just as a photographer). I would say tip both or tip neither. 
  • Options
    atomicphotoatomicphoto member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @Because: was that even relevant to the poster's question? 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards