September 2012 Weddings
Options

Transitioning Gmail Accounts

I created my new married name account a few weeks ago, and now I'm trying to set it up for a seemless transition.  It took me awhile to figure it out, so I thought I'd share the steps with you ladies!

If you want to forward mail from your old address to your new address, and be able to reply from either, you:

1) Create new email address

2) Log out - or preferably do it on different computers so you can keep both running simultaneously - then log in to old address, then click the little cog thing on the right corner, then "Settings". 

3) Then click "Forwarding and POP/IMAP".  On the first line, you'll see "Forwarding".  Click "Add email account" and type in your new address.  It will send a confirmation email to your new address. 

4) In your old account, click "Accounts and Imports", and scroll down to "Grant access to your account".  Add your new email address here.  It will send another confirmation email to your new address.

5) Go to your new address.  Open both confirmation emails and click the appropriate link.

6) In the new address, click the cog thing, then "Settings" then "Accounts and Imports". 

5) Go down to "Send Mail As" and click "Add Email Address as Your Own".  Then add your old email address.  This will let you reply as your old address if you want to - if you want to just reply to all emails with your new address, you can skip this step.

There you go!  It's a bunch of back-and-forth, but that should accomplish the main goals.  Hope it saves someone some time!  It was a bit confusing to do it myself.  I plan to be able to reply from my old address for awhile, and then disable the reply from to transition fully to my new address.

Anniversary

Re: Transitioning Gmail Accounts

• Options
    Thanks!  Gmail always confuses me, as silly as that sounds, so I will definitely reference this after the wedding.
  • Options
    I did this a few weeks ago too! Boy was it confusing ... G-mail just doesn't want to make it easy for us to change our names does it ... :)
  • Options
    Thanks!  I wish I had thought to not use my last name in my gmail 3 years ago when I made it.  I met FI a month later, go figure!
  • Options
    Sucks! I tried to do mine and both ways to try firstname.last name@gmail and firstlast@gmail are both already in use by another user. That is sad.
  • Options
    Thanks! It was REALLY hard for me to find an email address that would work. I'm changing mine to something like "Laura Smith". Jeez louise.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Wedding Preview!
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker

122image 110image 12image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2012-weddings_transitioning-gmail-accounts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:a464c18c-2e4d-469b-8eae-3865079cb9cfDiscussion:2a3d7dce-aeb4-4007-9317-64bb4e2ae201Post:748e587b-a24e-4783-9955-9a389bf18786">Re: Transitioning Gmail Accounts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sucks! I tried to do mine and both ways to try firstname.last name@gmail and firstlast@gmail are both already in use by another user. That is sad.
    Posted by FutureMrsR5711[/QUOTE]

Truth be told, I booked my new email address over a year ago... just in case!!!!

Anniversary

• Options
    When I got my email address when I switched to a Mac almost 10 yrs ago I used my first and middle names as my email to one day avoid having to change it :
  • Options
    this is wonderful! just created my new email and this will definitely come in handy when it's time to start using it! :)
    -kristine!

image 233 made the cut!
    image 186 are ready to party!
    image 47 are party poopers!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is helpful!  I created my new gmail account a couple months ago so I just sent your instructions to that email so they are easy to find when I start using it (in 11 days!!)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards