Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

No parent spotlight dances?

I have a strained relationship with my father (brother to walk me down the aisle) and my FI has a bad relationship with his mother. Would it be bad to just skip the parent spotlight dances, having only th first dance and then onto the party? I know that he definitaely does not want to dance with his mother and I am not so thrilled about the father-daughter dance myself.

Thoughts?
 Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: No parent spotlight dances?

• Options
    Skip it.  It is no big deal.  Especially given your relationships with each parent.  It isn't like one of them is being asked to give up a spotlight dance because the relationship with the other parent sucks.
  • Options
    I JUST decided this yesterday! I was originally going to dance with my Mom (not on good terms with my Dad) and FI was going to dance with his mother (they have a bad relationship)! Well, Mom is walking me down the aisle and she is my MOH and I know how hard it will be for FI to dance with his Mom so I think we are skipping that step..which leaves more time to party! 
    Cheryl (25) Andy (24) Newlyweds as of 8-17-12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker pregnancy week by week
  • Options
    Nope.  DH and I danced our first dance and that was it.  No one missed them.
  • Options
    Skip it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

The only "spotlight" dance at our reception ... our first dance.  Then we opened the floor.  Everything was just fine!

• Options
    Totally fine to do you and FI's first dance and then be done with spotlight dances. They are optional.
  • Options
    Thanks! I didn't know if it would be something everyone would be commenting on.
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I don't think you have to worry about people commenting on it.  Weddings are such individualized events these days that no one will think a second thing about it
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_no-parent-spotlight-dances?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:36Discussion:2ff5ef69-32cb-4857-ab29-23bb789fde31Post:5dea878b-4b36-44a5-8962-b5def59286e4">Re: No parent spotlight dances?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks! I didn't know if it would be something everyone would be commenting on.
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

It's highly unlikely everyone would comment on the lack of parent spotlight dances.  Someone might, though.  Then what?  Honestly, don't worry about what "everyone" thinks.  It's a waste of time.   Plan your dances the way you wish and enjoy!
  • Options
    I dont have a father in my life but my FI is really close with his mom but we are skipping them both, just because i dont want to put the spotlight on the face that i dont have a father in my life and my FI is perfectly fine with it and so is his mom! he just said he can still dance with her if he wants he'll just share the dance floor!
    Mrs. Lazz :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards