September 2013 Weddings
Options

TMI Tuesday

Find your inner Grinch and answer the following question... 

What is your least favorite thing about the holidays? 
 Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: TMI Tuesday

• Options
    The traveling between houses we have my moms house, my dads house, and his parents house!! Too much rushing around and not enough time in the day!!
  • Options
    My least favorite thing is when you feel obligated to buy a gift for someone and instead of feeling good about it, you just feel like you are essentailly exchanging money in the form of a gift. Other than that I LOVE this time of year!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    September 2013 Siggy Challenge: Bouquet Inspiration
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    The stress.  We didn't get holiday cards out this year.  The tree isn't decorated yet.  And I haven't wrapped a single present.  There's a lot going on and the "holiday" stuff is piling up.

On the plus side, it's my last Christmas "at home" and I intend on spending it with my family whatever way we can.  We may not have a fully decorated house, but at least we'll be together!
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Another travel person.

Christmas Eve: My Grandmas and then FI's family for late dinner

Christmas Day: Open presents at my dad, moms side(we still go even though she has passed...we are all still really close!), FI's aunts side, FI's other side.

I just wish I could spend more time with actual family and less time in the car!!  It is like suburb to suburb, too...not around the corner.

***Sept 2013 Jan. Siggy Challange - Bouquet Inspiration!***
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_tmi-tuesday-19?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:534dd093-f922-4279-9ba2-2ebdcb6f6847Post:f0bfd375-73d0-43aa-941b-8a0168cae332">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]My least favorite thing is when you feel obligated to buy a gift for someone and instead of feeling good about it, you just feel like you are essentailly exchanging money in the form of a gift. Other than that I LOVE this time of year!
    Posted by KSerafin17[/QUOTE]

This exactly.

And having 5 different places to go to between Christmas Eve and Christmas day.  I love seeing everyone but it gets pretty hectic and I feel as if we spend more time in the car then with people!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've always been a grinch around this time. I give gifts that the person may want not something regifted or without thought put into it, but that's what I usually get.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah, mine and my FI's family live across the country from each other.  We are flying east, then come back and driving down to see my famliy (5 hours).  It would be a lot easier if they lived in the same town, or at least the same province!

Also, as much as I love exchanging gifts (I love finding something that someone really wants!) it is frustrating to see how excessive consumerism can be this time of year.  I think it's great when you exchange homemade gifts, or something like that.
  • Options
    The 6 hour drive to FIs house in WI. I love his family (more than my own even), but with a 7-month old, a 6 hour drive usually turns into a 7-8 hour drive.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_tmi-tuesday-19?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:534dd093-f922-4279-9ba2-2ebdcb6f6847Post:c7f0eca2-9fbc-4470-947f-e9cfa047edf1">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, mine and my FI's family live across the country from each other.  We are flying east, then come back and driving down to see my famliy (5 hours).  It would be a lot easier if they lived in the same town, or at least the same province! Also, as much as I love exchanging gifts (I love finding something that someone really wants!) it is frustrating to see how excessive consumerism can be this time of year.  I think it's great when you exchange homemade gifts, or something like that.
    Posted by semi891[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Did you say PROVINCE?? Am I not the only Canadian on this board?? </div>
    ~~Sept 2013 Brides - January Siggy - Floral Inspiration~~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_tmi-tuesday-19?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:534dd093-f922-4279-9ba2-2ebdcb6f6847Post:f0bfd375-73d0-43aa-941b-8a0168cae332">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]My least favorite thing is when you feel obligated to buy a gift for someone and instead of feeling good about it, you just feel like you are essentailly exchanging money in the form of a gift. Other than that I LOVE this time of year!
    Posted by KSerafin17[/QUOTE]

Yup, this.

I am a complete Grinch about mall traffic, and it doesn't help that almost every store I frequent is in the some 5 mile radius as a mall (I live 10 minutes from two, and everyone nearby flocks to DE for the tax-free shopping OMG).  I hate waiting through an hour of traffic to GET TO THE SUPERMARKET - I don't even like malls!

I'm also annoyed by the "I'm in such a rush" attitudes that pop up.  My time is important too and you're not going to get there until I do first, so settle down.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
    Daisypath Vacation tickers
    *** September 2013 Signature Challenge: Hair Inspiration! ***
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_september-2013-weddings_tmi-tuesday-19?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:26a515ec-8009-4599-b81d-5edee3b3fb3cDiscussion:534dd093-f922-4279-9ba2-2ebdcb6f6847Post:34a10ed2-eb8e-48eb-a770-b9b1b99ab587">Re: TMI Tuesday</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: TMI Tuesday : Did you say PROVINCE?? Am I not the only Canadian on this board?? 
    Posted by ftrmrsw[/QUOTE]

British Columbia, born and raised! FI is from Ontario, which is where we are heading for Christmas! Where are you from?
  • Options
    I would have to agree with the others and say the traveling. We are spending Christmas eve day with my FI's family 40 mins from my house then spending Christmas eve night and morning at my parents house another 2 hrs then going to my sisters house then my aunt's house another hr away! There's too much traffic for this much traveling!
    ***January Siggy Challenge... Bouquet Inspiration***

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am kind of a grinch about the holidays, but I think it's more of missing the joy of my youth and how Christmas just doesn't seem to have the spirit it once did when I was a kid.  Not sure if it's just the trade-off in becoming an adult or not.  I was hoping the joy would return with the birth of my nieces but not so much since they're not raising them to believe in Santa Claus.  We have zero Christmas decorations in my home.  I am just not feeling it.  And now that the Newtown, CT shooting happened, my joy seems to be sucked out even worse.  I just can't seem to shake the images of those poor parents having to bury their children at this time of year.  (tears) 

I also agree about looking to find gifts specific to each person that they would really enjoy, but only to be disappointed that the same isn't reciprocated my way. 

I also hate mall traffic, or traffic in general.  I prefer to do most of my shopping online but have a lot of gifts to buy this weekend so I'm going to have my demons this weekend and knock some sisters out.  ;-)  J/K 

Lastly, I'm all about personalized handmade at times gifts as much as I can and supporting local businesses in lieu of some corporation that has manufacturing based in China.  I buy a lot of presents off Etsy mainly for this reason. 

Man, I do sound like a scrooge. 
    Sept '13 Siggy: Hair Inspiration: photo 019944c286331ab6fdf602efadf91e9e_zps2908bf88.jpg photo 80abfd960b2f390596c647e6ec4518d9_zpsdfb581e8.jpg Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to Re:TMI Tuesday:[QUOTE]Find your inner Grinch and answer the following question...nbsp;What is your leastnbsp;favorite thing about the holidays?nbsp; Posted by mpickl[/QUOTE]

Dealing with traffic and Christmas shopping itself. Usually I am much better at than this year. I just keep thinking of all the money I will be spending over the next year so I am having a hard time parting with it for gifts right now
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think I can just second what everyone else said :) Travelling, and gifts without thougts. We decided to cut down on the travellig as much as we can so we are spending everyother christmas with my family and with my FI family. At least that means we dont have to travel across country during the holidays, and the travelling we do have to do is "just" around the area where our respective families live.

All in all though I love christmas time :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards