Massachusetts-Cape Cod

unique favors

I'm from Iowa, FI is from NH. My Mom started collecting NH and IA state quarters and really wants me to incorporate it into the favors. Not seeing how it fits into our Cape beach theme. Any ideas on how to use them without looking corny, or break the news to Mom that it doesn't jive with the existing theme?
Thanks! You all are the best!!

BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
Visit CapeCod.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: unique favors

• edited December 2011
    How many of these coins are there?  That makes a big difference for idea inspiration!
  • CCBelATCCCBelATC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Last time I saw them there was about 40 NH and maybe 25 IA, but that was in December and my parents look for more almost every day. Having 80 guests.

Visit CapeCod.Weddings.com Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

Well, if you're having place cards you could incorporate them into that presentation, or you could get a load of glass votive holders and use a tiny spot of glue with a glue gun and put one on each votive.  You can get them super cheap at The Christmas Tree Shop and then you could just put a few on the tables, bar, by the sign in book, where ever.  That would be a way to make your mom happy without having them be an obvious part of your overall theme.  It just sounds like your parents are putting a lot of time and energy into this and if they think it's important it's probably best to let them think you love their idea too.  Picking battles, you know?  I think there's actually a lot you could do with them, just think out of the box!  Good luck!

• edited December 2011

We saw this idea in a magazine and plan on using it at my son's wedding this year.  I think you could adjust it in order to use your coins.  What you do is you put a few coins (in the idea it was pennies) in a small box and tie it with a printed ribbon that says, "A Penny For Your Thoughts".  Then you give each person a box and when your guests first arrive at the reception, you have the DJ or Master Of Ceremonies tell them that whatever the year is on their coins, they can tell the table something interesting that happened to them  that year.  It gets your guests talking to each other and sharing a little about themselves!  You could always throw a penny in with your other coins just so you can use the saying.  Hope this helps!

• CCBelATCCCBelATC member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you both for your help!! I like the idea of affixing them to votive holders but maybe not having them at every place setting. I absolutely agree with having my parents idea feel important. My poor mother is so far away she hasn't been able to help with any of the planning thus far. I also like the idea of the penny for your thoughts idea. Aside from our parents, none of the rest of our families have met, so I see how that can get them all talking and getting to know each other. I had a friend suggest setting up a wishing well, and the guests use the quarters to make a wish. I really like that idea too, but might just use like the bowl of a bird bath so it can sit on top of a table in the area where the "guestbook" photo frame is and seating chart when they first enter the reception. I need to decide if the wish is to be for us, or a wish they can make for themselves on us to thank them for making the trip out, if it's for us do I have them write it down somewhere, etc. At least I'm finally seeing the light that they can be incorporated in a creative way. I'm horrible at brainstorming these things, so you have really helped me!!!

Thanks again!! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards