Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Weird cake question

Hello all! This is my first question on here, but I am really wondering if this sounds weird!

When my mom got married they had a marble cake, Purple and chocolate. I thought that it was neat having her colors threw out the whole cake. However, my color is Blue! Do you think it would be weirs to try and get a blue marble cake??

Re: Weird cake question

• Options
    bmoruzzibmoruzzi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    lol, yes, I think that would be a little wierd.  But, if it's what you want, that's all that matters.  It's your day!!
  • Options
    Enchanted616Enchanted616 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont think it would be weird at all.  Did you ever consider doing like a blueberry filling?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Finished BC and not preventing since June 2010.
    Actively trying for baby #1 since July 2011.
    SA completed 5/29/2012. No sperm found.
    11/12: Dx: Congenital Bilateral Absense of the Vas Deferens.
    Genetic Testing needed as this is a mutation of Cystic Fibrosis.
    IVF #1 with ICSI planned for 2013.
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think it would be fine, maybe have it have a blueberry flavoring swirled into the batter to make the blue taste blue, and use a dreamy buttercream icing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FSIL is allergic to blueberries. She wouldn't be able to eat any of your cake.
    Amanda and Eric Gettin' married 10/10/10
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Colours in cakes are fine.  A little of the newer colouring powders will do the trick, not turn mouths too blue, and is fine for anyone who can eat a basic white cake (regarding allergies).

Some people may be put off by the colour, but honestly - someone is going to be put off by something no matter what you do.  If it's what you want, do it.

I WOULD suggest keeping the flavour(s) simple, though.  Eye-catching AND risky flavors may be too much at one time.
    10-10-10
  • Options
    future-mrsfuture-mrs member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally wouldn't, I think "blue" cake would look kind of odd and not really appetizing.  I would do a blue frosting/fondant or a filling that is actually blue instead.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm pro actually using blueberries and against using dye for the sake of colour.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My big beef with dyed things would be that they tend to change the color of your mouth - you don't want your guests walking around with blue mouths!  I would consider a separate cake maybe, instead of doing this for your main cake there's no reason the groom's cake or just a separate cake altogether couldn't be blue or blue-flavored.  (Yes I know blue isn't a flavor but something that happens to be blue as the flavor, like blueberries.)
  • Options
    sarafreddiesarafreddie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you girls so much for your input! I do love the idea of having the filling of something blue. I am still thinking on it, but all your replies really helped!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I know this is a few days later, but what if you were to do soemthing like a "funfetti" cake with only blue sprinkles? We're planning on doing this, my FMIL owns a cake business (and will be doing ours) and said it would be easy!

Always Daddy's Little Girl
    kimdad-2

Mr. vs Mrs. Food Blog
    (Updated 6/12/11, please vote for the next dish!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could do your color in teh icing. I am making my friend's wedding cake and her color is blue, too. I am going to accent a cream cheese iced cake with blue flowers and piping.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards