Florida-West Coast
Options

Starting our marraige APART??

Our plan together was to move to FL after we were married. My family is down there and since we started dating I always told him this was my plan (to get back to FL at some point, living in Baltimore was to be a temporary thing which has now lasted 4 years!). My biggest reason was once we started a family ourselves, which will still be a few years off. We were going to start looking for jobs AFTER the wedding and said that we would take our time and wait for a great job for both of us that would be better then what we have now. One of my vendors that I work closely with now is located in Clearwater. I was on their website the other day for work and just decided to check out their job boards. There was a great job that fit me and looks really exciting. My rep that I work with their pushed my resume through and I got a call back for a phone interview!  

I know I am jumping the gun a little, but fiancé and I were talking about it last night. 1) If I were to be offered the job  2) Money has to be more then what I am making already ,   this would probably require me to move within a month which would be before our wedding date on 10-3-10. Fiancé said that if this is an amazing opportunity for me then I must take it and we will figure it out. He said he would immediately start looking for jobs, but just can’t leave his job with the hopes of finding something eventually. I can deal with seeing each other on the weekends for a month or two BEFORE we are married. BUT, I don’t want come back from our wedding and honeymoon then go live in different states with a long distance marriage!! I understand he can’t leave his job for nothing, he makes good money and we have a lot of bills to pay off right now, especially with the wedding. 

This is turning my stomach into knots right now!! I know I am thinking too far ahead and should just see what happens… but I can’t stop thinking about it! I either turn down a great opportunity that is in the realms of a dream job for me. Or, I take it and cross my fingers that my husband finds something quickly to meet me there to begin our new lives together. What would you do??
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Starting our marraige APART??

• Options
    ufsweetiebearufsweetiebear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

We have a lot in common. I live in Ohio but I'm from FL. The plan has always been to get back to Tampa before we started a family. Lately, I haven't been happy with my current job (the whole reason I moved to OH) so I thought it might be a great time for us to start seriously considering moving back. However, the job market just isn't what it used to be and I'm getting more offers here in Ohio than from FL.

So if this is a dream, go for it. Things don't always work on your time frame. Yes, it would suck to be away from your new husband, but it may not be for very long. One of my BMs did this - she was married and got a job in Ohio while her husband was in Michigan. She got a dirt cheap apartment and lived small until he was able to quit and move to be with her. So, it can work!

Congrats!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, the good (and maybe bad lol) thing is that I could stay with my parents in the interim to save more money for husband and I. So, I wouldn’t have to worry about actually moving all our furniture, etc until he comes down (we rent month to month in Baltimore so we could pick up at any time). I would just drive myself, my clothes and my car down and stay with my parents and fly back to Baltimore on weekends.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Christinab22Christinab22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

My fiance and I have been doing this for the past year. He got offered a great job in Chicago last year and I couldn't fathom giving up my teaching job when teachers were losing their jobs all across the US. I decided to stay and get one more year of experience under my belt before moving to be with him. I'll be moving in one week. While it hasn't been easy, and it's not ideal for newlyweds to be apart right after the wedding, you have to do what is going to be best for both of you in the long run. We took turns flying between Orlando and Chicago each month and it has all worked out. We will also be in a better place financially because of it. I feel as though you have to make sacrifices sometimes in order to get to where you want to be. Hope that helps. Good Luck!

Christina

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow big decisions!  I agree with ufsweetiebears advice...and it will all work out.  It won't be ideal but it is do-able!  Good Luck and keep us posted.
    updated: 8/23 the wedding plan 60 in the mailimage 42 Bags are packedimage 18 Missing the funimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It sounds like an awesome opportunity and you seem so excited about it (as does your very supportive FI).  I would say go for it, but maybe give yourselves a deadline to say if your FI has not found a job in FL 6 months after we are married, he will just move down anyways it really start hitting the pavement trying to find smoething.  If you can swing one salary for a little while then a job for him will most def. turn up.  HTH and GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards