Michigan-Detroit
Options

Ordaining a friend to perform wedding

Has anyone had their friend perform their wedding ceremony instead of the typical pastor or priest?  I have heard it done and that is what we are planning on, but I am not 100% sure on what it requires to make it happen.  We live and will get married in Oakland County.  I found a website that will do it, but wanted to ask for any tips before I spend any money on it.

Thanks!

Re: Ordaining a friend to perform wedding

• Options
    Call the county to see what they require as it varies from county to county.
  • Options
    I live Oakland county which is what the rule is (whereever at least one of you live). My friend found the website and the ordained service herself. You still have to do your marriage license application. I wrote the ceremony since she had never done it before then I gave it to her well in advance so she could practice. It was great and so personalized, definitely recommend it for anyone that doesn't have a close relationship with a church. Just be mindful of the marriage license process because that is the biggest difference from hiring a professional. Apparently, it's actually the officiants responsibility to send the executed/signed license back to the state within so many days and if it's not, they can be fined. Also, if the application expires, you will have to reapply and obviously your real wedding date won't be on the new license. This almost happened to us but luckily it all worked out, so just read the paperwork pre-wedding!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for these tips.  I looked on the Oakland County website, so I saw how to get the license.  I didn't realize you could only get it 30-some days before the wedding.  I will call them about any rules they have for a ordaining a friend and where to send the signed copy- I never thought of that part.  We chose to have our friend marry us because we wanted something very personal and meaningful.  For us, this will be more memorable and meaningful that picking someone from a church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards