Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

alternatives to walking down the isle(walking is difficult)

I am young(26), but I have MS and have difficultly walking. I was using a wheelchair about 5 years ago and am now just using a cane(yay!), but I still have a pretty abnormal gate. I'm looking for alternatives to walking down the isle, and I can't come up with anything. I've mostly seen people discuss ways to make the ceremony as much about the groom as the bride by not doing the traditional bridal walk down the isle, but nothing that excludes it completely.

The low down on our wedding is this: we will be having it in the Bahamas, and we will be semi eloping. I'm calling is semi because everyone knows that we are doing this, it won't be a surprise.

The ceremony will be just us, but there will be lots of pictures and a video. We are having a big reception when we get home that includes all of our friends and family. We just didn't feel like the big wedding ceremony was "us", and there is no "small" because we are both very blessed by the size of of families and the many friends that we have. I also have two lifelong best friends, so I didn't want to deal with the issue of maid-of-honor. We also felt like a big wedding and all the stress involved would take away from the point of the union, our love for each other. I've never had a longing for a wedding, just our marriage. We are both 100% positive that this is the way we want to do it.

So, I'd really like a beginning of the ceremony that doesn't include me walking a long distance. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Re: alternatives to walking down the isle(walking is difficult)

• If you're having it in the Bahamas, you could talk to your venue and see what they might offer. Perhaps a carriage or even a golf cart (both of these assuming it's outside). Or you could bedazzle your cane for the ceremony. Or ask about a ceremony space that just doesn't have a long aisle.
  • Could you have the groom come to you?  Or, as PP said, a carriage may be an option and you and the groom could get to the altar together.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have you considered doing a "first look" where you see your fiance before the ceremony? You could be set up already standing in a location and he approaches you. The photographers / videgraphers catch your reactions. Then when you do the ceremony you don't need that "here I come!" moment of walking down the aisle. We did it this way so when it came time to do the ceremony we started the ceremony after my fiance and I were already standing at the alter. We just walked over there to our spots before it began so no fancy entrance as a part of the ceremony.
  • If it's just you and your groom, I don't see why you'd need to do any walking at all, or have any big entrance-y introduction to the ceremony.  Just start the ceremony (and the video) when the two of you are already both where you need to be.  Or walk in together. 

Or, if having and videoing some sort of walk is important to you, you can really think outside the box- do a carriage ride like PPs have suggested.  Or a rickshaw.  Or, if you have some sort of theme, implement that- like if you were doing something outdoorsy, have your groom push you in in a wheelbarrow (or have other people push both of you in wheelbarrows).  Or pull you in in a little red wagon.  Maybe Segways, if you wanted to be really goofy. Smile If you're looking for something more serious/elegant, you could probably do really beautiful things decorating a wheelchair with flowers.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_alternatives-walking-down-islewalking-difficult?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:61c66c16-3f4e-45c8-ad75-756f61f0f3c3Post:e4890bd0-0419-431e-ad56-61f885bf5dff">Re: alternatives to walking down the isle(walking is difficult)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Have you considered doing a "first look" where you see your fiance before the ceremony? You could be set up already standing in a location and he approaches you. The photographers / videgraphers catch your reactions. Then when you do the ceremony you don't need that "here I come!" moment of walking down the aisle. We did it this way so when it came time to do the ceremony we started the ceremony after my fiance and I were already standing at the alter. We just walked over there to our spots before it began so no fancy entrance as a part of the ceremony.
    Posted by LauraChristin[/QUOTE]

<div>This is a cute idea!</div>
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Walk in together...and let him help you a little... It is beautiful.. My friends did it and it was perfect... they walked together to the officant and instead of ho gives this woman he said something else along the lines of who comes to this marriage altar today ( better worded but beautiful) and they each said their names... 

Love love loved it!  enjoy
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_alternatives-walking-down-islewalking-difficult?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:61c66c16-3f4e-45c8-ad75-756f61f0f3c3Post:7d0f7e98-8b49-4774-bd44-f8c9b57b0c0a">Re: alternatives to walking down the isle(walking is difficult)</a>:
    [QUOTE]Walk in together...and let him help you a little... It is beautiful.. My friends did it and it was perfect... they walked together to the officant and instead of ho gives this woman he said something else along the lines of who comes to this marriage altar today ( better worded but beautiful) and they each said their names...  Love love loved it!  enjoy
    Posted by midgemoto[/QUOTE]

<div>This sounds wonderful. If it's just the two of you, I don't think there needs to be some grand entrance. You could do the "first look" thing beforehand so that you still get to see the look on his face when he sees you for the first time, and then follow it with what midgemoto suggested. Sounds perfect to me!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I saw on a wedding blog where the bride and groom waited in a field together, and then the guests, officiante, etc came to them.

• I like the idea of the groom walking towards you. That way there's still that traditional sense of "walking towards each other" but you don't have to suffer as a result. What about getting fitted for leg braces? That may not work if your back is the problem, but perhaps the combination of leg braces and a corset with extra support would work.

As for the pictures, let him stand behind you with his hands wrapped around you for most of the formal shots. He could actually subtly hold you up without it LOOKING like he's holding you up, so everything is still romantic but no one can tell that you aren't able to fully stand on your own.
  • Maybe you could start out sitting in the first row of the seating so you only have to get up and go a couple steps to get to your groom?

The aisle walking is just a tradition, not needed.  One of my friends had his own processional at the wedding, and then his bride had hers, so you can really do anything you want.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards