November 2012 Weddings

Getting ready before the wedding

I'm wondering what all of your plans are for getting dressed before your wedding. Is it customary for my bridesmaids to be there with me?  What about my mom or my FI's mom? My bridesmaids are my two sisters and my FI's sister who I get along with just fine but still don't know that well.

I tend to follow the "it's your wedding so do what you want" philosophy but I don't want to inadvertently hurt anyone's feelings.

In case it matters, we are getting married at 6pm on a Saturday. Thanks in advance!!

Re: Getting ready before the wedding

• lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I've been in 8 or 9 weddings and I've always been there while the bride got ready.  I plan on having my BMs with me while I get ready as well as my mom.  

It's your call though.  If you don't want them there, I don't think it's 100% necessary for them to be there.  I personally think it's nice to have your nearest and dearest with you during that time.
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
  • I think you can have whomever you want there!

I have never been in a wedding where the bridesmaids weren't there with the bride during this time...and her Mom. That's it.

I don't think you need to include your FMIL, etc, but if you want to, go nuts.
  • Agree with PPs

We got married 11/3/12!!

• Have whoever you wish.  I was in 1 wedding where the bride and her sister had a separate salon than we did, but they met us at our salon for makeup.  To each their own, it would have been more fun if we were all together but she knew the girl doing her hair really well and this girl could only take 2 people.  So whatever made the bride happy,w e were together the rest of the morning anyhow. 

My bridal party, my mother is going to her own stylist to get her hair and makeup done, I don't have a FMIL, FSIL is having her own stylist do her, the rest of us are getting ready together.
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Every wedding I've been in we all got ready together. I am going to have my whole party together. My stylist is doing everyone's hair in the same room, so we have to be together. :) My FSIL will also have her daughters with us, since my FBIL is the best man. My FMIL will probably be with us, too, because we're pretty close, but she might take the kids to their place to give us some peace for a while. Haha! I want to have my whole party and everyone with me because if I was alone, I'd freak out! :)
    imageNovember Board Siggy - The Venue!
    Photobucket
    The Great Hall at Sunriver Resort, Sunriver, Oregon
    243 Invited image
    172 Can't wait image
    71 Are missing out image

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We are getting ready together as well. I have been in a few weddings and we all got ready together as well. I personally think its just fun and such a nice moment to spend with the people that mean the most to you. It's your wedding so do whatever you would like though.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks for all the input! I have no idea how this stuff usually works. Getting ready with my mom and bridesmaids sounds good. It'll probably take a village to get me into that corset anyway :)
  • We're all getting ready together :)  I'd rather it be just my mom and my girls, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'd never hear the end of it if FMIL wasn't included >.<  I'm hoping to be able to check in to our hotel early so there's a nice clean room for the pictures of us getting ready, FMIL offered us her huge bedroom but we'll see. They'll have a house full of guests and I don't know how many people I want making suggestions and offering 'constructive' criques of how I should have done my hair or makeup. Plus a photographer trying to get shots too  ;)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_getting-ready-before-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:60359535-34f0-45dc-934b-864e9dbc9d24Post:d63c0917-957d-4e7b-a2eb-6366e6743980">Getting ready before the wedding</a>:
    [QUOTE] tend to follow the "it's your wedding so do what you want" philosophy but I don't want to inadvertently hurt anyone's feelings. 
    Posted by cookenstein[/QUOTE]

<div>Love the philosophy -- because -- well, at the end of the day it's true (of course plus it's *his* too, so...) and strangely easy to forget when caught up in the planning.</div><div>
    </div><div>All I would say is if you are going to invite any number of BMs (outside the MoH), invite them all and be sure to say it's totally optional. This way, if your FSiL doesn't want to come, she doesn't feel pressured. If she does come, it might be a nice chance to get to know her better. </div><div>
    </div><div>I think there might be more hurt feelings if you invited others and not her.</div><div>
    </div><div>In terms of anyone outside your party, I think that's up to you and your discretion to pick and choose, IMHO.</div><div>
    </div><div>Best wishes!!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

How am I doing in my attempt to plan this thing in three months? I'm sharing all the good and bad with you, *somewhat unfiltered.*
  • <div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_getting-ready-before-the-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:60359535-34f0-45dc-934b-864e9dbc9d24Post:13bd4146-b73e-4705-881d-e0b2033cfd97">Re: Getting ready before the wedding</a>:</div>[QUOTE]We're all getting ready together :)  I'd rather it be just my mom and my girls, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'd never hear the end of it if FMIL wasn't included >.<  I'm hoping to be able to check in to our hotel early so there's a nice clean room for the pictures of us getting ready, FMIL offered us her huge bedroom but we'll see. They'll have a house full of guests and I don't know how many people I want making suggestions and offering 'constructive' criques of how I should have done my hair or makeup. Plus a photographer trying to get shots too  ;)
    Posted by pomundson0[/QUOTE]

<div>I feel your FMIL pain. My BMs and my mom are invited to join me while I get ready. Since our wedding is destination for 99% of the guests, my grandmothers and my FI's Nana will probably want stop by to say hi before the wedding. Since FI is an only child, I am encouraging his parents to spend time with him before the wedding to avoid her getting her feelings hurt if she isn't included in my getting ready. Since she lives closer to us than my parents, I am also inviting her to one of my dress fittings. </div>
    A and B
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm getting ready at my dad's house with my mom and my BP. FI's mom lives in the next state, so she probably won't be there. Dad is getting ready at his girlfriend's hosue so we'll have the house ot ourselves.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards