Pre-wedding Parties
Options

ZOMG! Jack and Jill Party

Having just learned what a Jack and Jill party is 10 min. ago...
I did a little google search.  

This is the first article that popped up.

Favorite quote? (Well, 2 favorites, I can't pick which is worse)

"For some couples it is more fun, lucrative, and tasteful"
 than traditional showers. 

"However, in this day and age when couples may be tightening 
their belts a Jack and Jill party is a great occasion to invite 
those who may not have made it onto the finalized
 invitation list"

REALLY!?!?!?!?  Please tell me that I just read something
 that was meant to be a parody....

Re: ZOMG! Jack and Jill Party

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There are two types of Jack and Jill Showers. One is a traditional shower, except it is coed. Men and women are invited to the party to shower the couple with gifts. It's a nice way to include the groom and the couples male friends in the festivities.

The other type is the fundraiser Jack and Jill. And yes, sometimes the tickets are sold to people who are not on the wedding guest list.

www.mybigfatengagement.com/whats-a-jack-and-jill-party/

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the comments at the bottom.  "I like this idea for many reasons"  - I'm assuming that means money, money and more money. 

Why else would anyone think this is a good idea?  And why are you getting married if you're not financially stable - aka needing a fundraiser?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't know Jack and Jill parties were fundraisers, I thought that they were just coed showers. I have offered to throw my MOH a coed shower because she didn't want a girlie shower, I want to throw her a shower, and when I brought up the idea of a coed shower to my MOH and her FI, he got really excited.
    We are planning like a BBQ with maybe a newlywed type game and peole can gather and bring gifts, its just more laid back and obviously less girlie. 
    Now I am embarrassed to call it a Jack and Jill shower because its not a fundraiser, its just a party for my friends.

I definitely think charging for tickets to a party is so far into the tacky column.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    DNA, there is nothing wrong with the kind of shower you are planning. It's sounds like a lot ofun. Don't be embarrassed. You don't have to refer to it as a Jack and Jill if you think that will confuse the invitees. Just call it a Wedding Shower.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    This type of Jack and Jills are pretty common in the area I'm from, though I wouldn't want one myself.

A mass-invite to a Jack and Jill for someone I went to high school with (and barely ever spoke to in high school) was sent out to pretty much my entire HS class a few months ago.  ::sigh:: So not okay, etiquette-wise, but standard in that area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the Jack and Jill idea.  I have never heard of this type of party before....not popular in my area.  My FH and I are getting married out of state and we are going to have an engagement party.  We didnt want to ask everyone to drive all that way just to see us get married and this way they can still enjoy the best part! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are not auctioning anything off.  It's just a party. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never heard of a Jack and Jill shower, but I would call the party that DNAtime described a "couples shower". Basically just a shower where couples are invited. Normally the guests bring one gift per couple, so in the end the gift giving is the same as a traditional shower. Selling tickets, raffles, or anything else at a shower sounds terrible to me.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_zomg-jack-jill-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:0fe0e899-18ba-4da8-90c1-c2b05b43f65ePost:e49fb1d3-1ab0-44a7-8761-1fb47ccb8d8f">Re: ZOMG! Jack and Jill Party</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the Jack and Jill idea.  I have never heard of this type of party before....not popular in my area.  My FH and I are getting married out of state and we are going to have an engagement party.  We didnt want to ask everyone to drive all that way just to see us get married and this way they can still enjoy the best part! 
    Posted by sherrirlay[/QUOTE]

Sherri:  this is not a good idea unless you're also inviting everyone to both the wedding and the e-party.  If you're thinking e-party invite in lieu of wedding invite, then you need to rethink it.  It's very poor form.

I would be, I'll admit, very p!ssed to be considered important enough to be invited to a prewedding party, but not important enough to be invited to the actual wedding.
    The two aren't even comparable, IMO and one doesn't take the place of the other.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards