Christian Weddings

Recommendations needed - digital camera

Hey ladies,

I need a recommendation on a digital camera.  Neither FI nor I have one, and we would like to take a camera on the HM.  We have a family member who may let us borrow theirs for the week, but I'm investigating options as far as how much we should spend on one (we'd like a few pictures we could frame but we're not photog fanatics), and what specific brand / model recommendations you have.   We may get one if it's within the budget, but we also don't want to spend money on a "cheap" one just to have it fail or have to buy a ton of accessories just to make it work. 

... and GO!!! :-) 
July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: Recommendations needed - digital camera

• edited December 2011
    I have a Canon PowerShot SD790 IS Digital Elph (just typing what's on the camera). I have the 10 MP, 3XIS zoom version.  I got it Christmas 2009 for right around $200.  My mom liked it so well that she got one also.
    I like it pretty well.  I can take pictures and video with it.  It does take good video, I use it to video all of my daughter's gymnastics meets and can zoom in pretty good if I'm seated far away.  
    Note: I am by no means a great photographer, and I NEVER print out pictures, so these all just going into my digital scrapbook (PC backed up to external hard drive).

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end... Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SoonToBeGenaoSoonToBeGenao member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've had 3 digital cameras all of which have been Olympus. I love them. The only reason I get a new one is because they make better/updated models. I have never had an issue with it breaking or anything. They are very reasonably priced, small=to fit in a pocket/ pocketbook and work great. :)
    There's only 1 way 2 say those 3 words and that's what I'll do... I love you Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I always get the newest Kodak Easy Share when I have managed to wear my out and I love them. I currently have the M320 model. It is very easy to use and I carry it with me everywhere.

It focuses automatically, has a general use option as well as several other cool features that are really user-friendly. One of the coolest features by far is the panoramic picture feature. You can take up to three picture and it stitches them together seemlessly as long as you get close enough. They make it really easy to do this by putting the very left or right side of the previous picture on the screen for you to line up with the next shot. I hope that makes sense. It really is pretty easy - you may just have to play with it for a second.

It has close up shots, action, fireworks, night flash, snow, beach, etc. settings built into it, all you have to do is select what is needed.

I can answer more questions if interested. As I said, I use it all the time.

• iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister just did a lot of research for her new camera and ended up with a Panasonic Lumix:

http://www.abesofmaine.com/item.do?item=PSDMCFZ100K&id=PSDMCFZ100K&l=FROOGLE

It is a bit pricy but it was the best value for what they were looking for. 
  • edited December 2011
    DH bought me a Sony Cybershot for my birthday I love it. It has this great feature called intelligent auto that automatically adjusts to light and doesn't need a flash. All of the pictures you see on my facebook from the honeymoon were taken with that camera. It does occasionally come out blurry but that's the only issue. You might want to go to a Best Buy if you have time and talk to someone in electronics. I'm slightly partial to Best Buy since DH works there but they can give you a good idea across the board.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, thanks for the suggestions!

I definitely took the suggestions into account ... and then had a chat with the budget for it. .. we are debating between these two cameras (Costco links) - what do you think between them?  Which one would you pick?  (They both come with the 4gb SD card in the package which is nice).  I'm leaning toward the Nikon but the price on the Kodak is $30 less and the camera is smaller... (but no camera storage bag, I could get a cheap one for $5 if needed, so not an issue really). 

Nikon S4100 Coolpix:
    http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11642630&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=87151&b=1&lang=en-US

Kodak EasyShare M590:http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11591564&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=87151&b=1&lang=en-US
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm fairly loyal to my Canon PowerShot, but of the two you posted i'd choose the Nikon.  We have Kodak EasyShares at school and I hate them.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not a Kodak fan either. I like the Nikon better
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm... okay!!  Yeah, I figured the Nikon might have a better resolution or something.  I don't know exactly what to "look for" when buying a digital camera.  

If any of you want to help me shop - we are hoping for around $100 (less would be fine!), could go slightly higher (up to $130 for a good one or a "package" deal) -- I'll be glad to have some more help looking.  I don't even know where to start looking online besides Best Buy, Costco, and Sams club, so I'm definitely new to this stuff!! 
  • BronwynHBronwynH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did a little looking...definitely go with the Nikon Coolpix. I have one and I love it. It takes great pictures, is small, and is easy to use. I was looking online at Walmart and found these:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-COOLPIX-S3100-14-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-Value-Bundle/16570749

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-COOLPIX-L24-14-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-Value-Bundle/16570748

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-COOLPIX-S4100-14-Megapixel-Digital-Camera-Value-Bun/16570750

Hope this helps some! A camera really is a must have...just think of it this way: If you buy a camera for $130 and you use it 130 days, then that's only $1 a day & tons of great memories! & using it more means less per day. Also, The Nikon Coolpix hold up really well. I've had mine for 3 years and it's traveled alot and is still as good as new!

• edited December 2011
    I got a good cheap one on sale for $150. It's a Sony - point an shoot. It's good. You don't need more than 10-12 megapixels, but the higher the optical zoom, the better. With a really high optical zoom, you can be sitting somewhere and zoom WAY in and get a super clear shot. Mine's only 4x, and it's good, but I'd love to have something higher. 

My aunt had a camera with 20x zoom and she could be watching her son's baseball game and he's the second baseman, she could zoom in and get a shot of him as he's catching the ball or something and it was so clear and perfect you thought she was out in the field with them! 
  • edited December 2011
    Out of those two, I do actually like the Nikon better - The new Kodak Easyshare looks odd without the zoom lens and that kinda makes me sad given my loyalties. lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards