Christian Weddings

What cake flavors for the...

Wedding Cake?

Grooms Cake?

If you haven't decided yet, what flavors are on the top of your list?  
July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: What cake flavors for the...

• edited December 2011
    Wedding Cake: 

Bottom square tier: Red Velvet with Cream Cheese filling
    Next square tier up: Almond Cake, Almond Buttercream filling
    Next round tier up: Chocolate cake, Chocolate Mousse filling
    Top round tier (we keep for 1st anniversary): Chocolate cake, Chocolate Mousse filling
    Icing on the whole thing will be white chocolate flavored buttercream.  

Grooms Cake?
    Still undecided... groom's aunt is providing this.  If I had to choose, right now I'd pick an Angel Food cake with fruit or something like that! 
  • azdancer8azdancer8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our wedding cake had four layers. The top and third layers were vanilla almond cake with a raspberry filling, and the other two layers were the same cake flavor with a sweet cream cheese type filling. Our bakery recommended using the white filling on the bottom layer so that it wouldn't stain my dress if we got into a cake fight. ;) Plus, we get a free replica of our top layer for our anniversary, and I like the raspberry filling better anyways. :)

• naomikbnaomikb member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wedding cake:
    1) Chocolate banana explosion
    2) Summer strawberry
    3) Chocolate Delight

Groom's cake:
    1) Ice cream
  • edited December 2011
    Wedding cake:
    Chocolate cake, chocolate mousse with buttercream frosting

no groom's cake, am I the odd ball out?
  • eternalmariaeternalmaria member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are condidering doing all three tiers chocolate with rasberry filling. :)
    Until we say "I do" Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd2a223c-6d4a-4e78-b0e4-2aacf3b0c999Post:f4b20096-6b07-44b6-bfc9-ef1d8716c0a3">Re: What cake flavors for the...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wedding cake: Chocolate cake, chocolate mousse with buttercream frosting no groom's cake, am I the odd ball out?
    Posted by joyfulbride424[/QUOTE]

<div>Nope, definitely not... we wouldn't be doing a groom's cake, except his family wants to provide one.  So, no big deal, we said if they want to it will be fine with us!  Some people have a "groom's cake" for the rehearsal, and some have both a wedding cake and a groom's cake at the reception.  No biggie. :-) </div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd2a223c-6d4a-4e78-b0e4-2aacf3b0c999Post:e8c9d07a-64f5-44bf-bcf8-5655e92880d4">Re: What cake flavors for the...</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are condidering doing all three tiers chocolate with rasberry filling. :)
    Posted by eternalmaria[/QUOTE]

We considered this!  It was delicious but FH and I are chocoholics so we voted against it.

Kelly - I'm glad! I thought it was something I was *supposed* to do. ::phew:: :)
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural Wedding BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd2a223c-6d4a-4e78-b0e4-2aacf3b0c999Post:f4b20096-6b07-44b6-bfc9-ef1d8716c0a3">Re: What cake flavors for the...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wedding cake: Chocolate cake, chocolate mousse with buttercream frosting no groom's cake, am I the odd ball out?
    Posted by joyfulbride424[/QUOTE]
    The groom's cake is more of a Southern thing, so no, not really.

Wedding Cake:
     - Cupcake tower with top tier (for cutting and holding topper)
     - Top tier will be white (vanilla) cake with buttercream filling/icing and fondant
     - Some or all cupcakes will be white (vanilla) with white buttercream icing
     - MIGHT have some cupcakes in chocolate and/or red velvet

Groom's Cake:
     - Two tiers of chocolate cake with chocolate icing
    image imageimage image

My Blog

Anniversary

100/100 books read in 2012
    17/100 books read in 2013
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We didn't have a grooms cake, but for the wedding cake we had chocolate, vanilla, and marble. Since the cake was included with our reception package we only had a few flavors to pick from. So, my mom ordered a 3 tiered cake with the flavors we really wanted for my bridal shower cake which were:

White cake with buttercream filling
    Red Velvet with cream cheese filling
    Strawberry swirl with buttercream filling

The cake at our engagement party was my favorite cake I've ever had. It was a white chocolate chip cake with buttercream frosting. YUM! If you can't tell I love me some cake! :-P
  • katanne9katanne9 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yumm my mouth is drooling over the Almond layer Kelly.

We had funfetti cake with buttercream ice cream.

And we also served white chocolate raspberry cheesecake with raspberry sauce.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd2a223c-6d4a-4e78-b0e4-2aacf3b0c999Post:0301873d-2119-4356-a0e2-5769734def50">Re: What cake flavors for the...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wedding cake: 1) Chocolate banana explosion 2) Summer strawberry 3) Chocolate Delight Groom's cake: 1) Ice cream
    Posted by naomikb[/QUOTE]

<div>naomi - your flavors just sound like fun!!!!</div>
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_christian-weddings_cake-flavors?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:464687ae-7bc1-4360-9aea-999e11f1e1adDiscussion:fd2a223c-6d4a-4e78-b0e4-2aacf3b0c999Post:3031f13c-11a2-4557-b1df-459f029a8f31">Re: What cake flavors for the...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yumm my mouth is drooling over the Almond layer Kelly. We had funfetti cake with buttercream ice cream. And we also served white chocolate raspberry cheesecake with raspberry sauce.
    Posted by katanne9[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>yummy chocolate rasberry cheesecake sounds delish!!!!</div><div>
    </div><div>i shoudl be meeting with our baker soon. (: </div><div>but i know we will be having a strawberry cake with bavarian cream filling and possibly red velvet with cream cheese...and then idk. lol. my FI's favorite is strawberry cake and he HATES rasberry filling. lol</div><div>
    </div>
  • iamjoesgurliamjoesgurl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had three layers:

1.  Chocolate cake with cherry filling
    2.  White almond cake with chocolate buttercream filing
    3.  Lemon cake with raspberry filling

We cut into the white almond cake and it was so good.  I really wish I had eaten more of it.

I did a groom's cake for Joe because the bakery we chose didn't have mousse for fillings and he really wanted orange creamsicle mousse.  So I did a basketball cake as a surprise for him - chocolate cake with orange creamsicle mousse filling.  We got a smaller version of this cake for our 1st anniversary since we hadn't saved any cake.

• edited December 2011
    DROOLING over here, I tell ya, drooling.  My parents' dog has met her match.  :-)

Awesome flavors!  Wow at the pictures!!  Thanks for sharing, ladies!!  Feel free to keep going if you haven't posted yet! :-) 
  • edited December 2011
    We are having a chocolate cake with raspberry filling and a white cake with lemon filling  (both with buttercreme icing).

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    katanne- I LOVE funfetti! I want it for ours but I don't know if our baker does it.

We have our cake design, but haven't chosen flavors yet. We tried a vanilla cake with raspberry buttercream filling which was good, but we still aren't sure. I am a chocoholic, too, so... we'll see. Any suggestions? 

joyful- you aren't the only one! Weddings are expensive and FI doesn't want a groom's cake, so we aren't doing one. They are cute, though, if it's affordable! 
  • edited December 2011
    Bottom Layer: Vanilla w/ white buttercream
    Middle Layer: Lemon w/ white buttercream
    Top Layer: Coconut w/ white buttercream

Our baker provides a free cake on our one year anniversary :) We are not doing a Groom's cake, I have never seen one at a wedding in my area.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Layers 1 (wish we saved and ate on our anniversary, it was actually really good!), 2 and 4 were chocolate with bavarian cream filling.  Layer 3 was white cake with...who knows?!  I didn't honestly care about having white cake, but my grandma doesn't like chocolate so we did it for her.  I let her pick the filling flavor and I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

We didn't do a groom's cake either.  I'd never heard of it until TK.
  • edited December 2011
    wedding cake:
    1st and 3rd layers: strawberry/chocolate marble with fudge filling.
    2nd and 4th layers: chocolate with raspberry filling
    covered in chocolate buttercream with a pearl shimmer.

groom's cake:  his aunt is making us tres leches cakes with fresh fruit on top! 
  • edited December 2011
    tradiational pound, chocolate, lemon, and spice.  buttercream icing
  • edited December 2011
    @ Kelley - No, you're normal!!  I asked FI if he wanted a groom's cake and he said, "What for?"  I explained to him and he goes, "Oh.  I don't see the point."  Ok!!  We're getting married in the south but, he doesn't see the point.  Although I might surprise him..... :)

Wedding Cake:
    Bottom tier will be chocolate (just plain ol' chocolate).
    Top tier will be vanilla with strawberry mousse filling if we can.
    Frosting will be white and vanilla lol.

Groom's Cake:
    If I surprise him with one, I'll hopefully be doing cookies and cream if I can - he LOVES oreos and cookies and cream lol.  And I'll do it in the shape of a motor or tools or a truck or something.  He's a diesel mechanic.  :P

CW Siggy : Favorite Flower
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Any and all God created. Each one is a masterpiece. :)

I'm married!! As of May 1st, 2011. :)

Daisypath Vacation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards