Wedding Party
Options

They're not personal attendents, so what should I call them?

Hi all,

I have two very special older women in my life: my aunt and my close friend's mother. Both have been excellent examples of what it takes to make a marriage work, as well as being second mothers to me when I needed it. I would like to honor them in some way at my wedding. One of my friends suggested making them "personal attendents", but I don't really like the negitivity and the duties that are tied to that title! I really just want them to be there with me before the wedding as we're getting ready, to sit and laugh and give advice because let's be honest, they've been doing the marriage thing for 30 years or more! Any thoughts on what sort of recognition/title I can give these women in my program?

Thanks!

Re: They're not personal attendents, so what should I call them?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_theyre-not-personal-attendents-so-what-should-i-call-them?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:37Discussion:0e925965-c006-47e5-8fa7-5ac4f5d51c7dPost:083b56d0-e789-41f4-8c36-00572a0ff8e8">They're not personal attendents, so what should I call them?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi all, I have two very special older women in my life: my aunt and my close friend's mother. Both have been excellent examples of what it takes to make a marriage work, as well as being second mothers to me when I needed it. I would like to honor them in some way at my wedding. One of my friends suggested making them "personal attendents", but I don't really like the negitivity and the duties that are tied to that title! I really just want them to be there with me before the wedding as we're getting ready, to sit and laugh and give advice because let's be honest, they've been doing the marriage thing for 30 years or more! Any thoughts on what sort of recognition/title I can give these women in my program? Thanks!
    Posted by stacielg[/QUOTE]

Just have them with you when you are getting ready and get them a corsage and maybe a special place to sit (front row with your parents?) during the ceremony.

I think just being included in the pre-wedding fesitivites and recognizing them with a corsage will be enough.  I wouldn't list them in the program with some made-up title.  And I agree, personal attendants is an awful title.
  • Options
    Don't call them anything.  Include them in pre-wedding festivities, maybe give them a corsage and make sure they get to sit up front for the ceremony, basically I agree with cmgilpin!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't list them in the program. Why? Because I'm sure you've had a multitude of individuals who have had an impact in your life, but they are honored as invited guests.

Offering corsages is subtle and extending the invite join you for a few moments in the bride's room will be great. You could also, reasonably, include them and their husbands in your rehearsal dinner celebrations.
  • Options
    I like the corsage idea; so much better than trying to make up some bogus title. Thanks guys!

As far as adding them to the bridal party, I have 7 close friends/siblings as bridesmaids, which is already a lot, but those are the people I want with me! Additionally, I'm positive that if I actually asked them to be bridesmaids, they would laugh at me. I don't think either of them would be receptive to that idea...
  • Options
    AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-party_theyre-not-personal-attendents-so-what-should-i-call-them?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:37Discussion:0e925965-c006-47e5-8fa7-5ac4f5d51c7dPost:88831320-8512-4941-a648-be93eaee50e5">Re: They're not personal attendents, so what should I call them?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I like the corsage idea; so much better than trying to make up some bogus title. Thanks guys! As far as adding them to the bridal party, I have 7 close friends/siblings as bridesmaids, which is already a lot, but those are the people I want with me! Additionally, I'm positive that if I actually asked them to be bridesmaids, they would laugh at me. I don't think either of them would be receptive to that idea...
    Posted by stacielg[/QUOTE]

Haha!  Oh, I agree with you.  These women are not bridesmaids.  I think honoring them with coursages is wonderful.  Sit them up front.  Invite them to get dressed with you.  I'm sure they will be appreciative of all that!
  • Options
    I agree with the others, just have them with you on the special day!  They'll love being included, and it's definitely an honor to be there with the bride while everyone else sits outside and waits to see her.

In fact, I had a good friend who did pretty much the same thing.  She ended up helping me do some pre-wedding photo shots too by helping to position my (admitedly ridiculously) long train.  I retroactively dubbed her my official Train-Wrangler, which we both giggled over.  She loved it all, and had a huge smile the whole day. 
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I would make sure you take a special photo with these special ladies and maybe present them with a small token whether that be a gift or a heartfelt letter/card along with their corsage!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards