Indiana-Indianapolis
Options

Grrr.. Just needed to vent about my cake issues!

We went in and had a tasting at Heavenly Sweets back in October.  I have to admit, they have the best cake and buttercream that I have every tasted.  That being said, I am so frustrated and down right angry about what has happened.  We had to downsize our wedding due to me losing my job and our budget and guest list having to be cut.  I spoke to Tanya about it at a Bridal show and she said to just call in and make the changes, and that she has had to lower prices due to the turn in the economy.  

So, I did just that and was asked what our new budget was.  I told them that I wanted to keep it around $250.  I gave her the details of the changes I needed from our 4 tier $900 dollar cake for 175 guests to a single tier with 75 cupcakes.  She took my changes and told me she would call me back with my total.  When she called me back I was politely informed that I was going to be charged and additional fee of $50.00 because I made a change. And that my single 8" cake was going to cost me over $125!! I was shocked.  I told her that I had already given her my bottom line price point, and I felt like it was unfair to charge me an additional fee for the change, since my wedding is still 4 months away!!  It isn't like I decided to change it 2 weeks prior to the date.  

Am I just over reacting?  I have to say I am kind of hoping they will waive the change fee, because I really want their cake  :o(

Thanks for listening,

Rae

Re: Grrr.. Just needed to vent about my cake issues!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We're also using Heavenly Sweets but booked just a month or two ago, and she must have since reduced her prices even more because our 4 tier cake and two sheet cakes is going to be less than your original quote.

Anyway, it does say in the contract, at least ours does, that any changes to the package/design will cost you 50 bucks. She explained to us that too many brides in the past would come in and keep changing their cake which can add or detract from her labor/expense/

Example: You book your original $900 cake, and she then decides that that weekend your cake is going to be it, she can't handle any more because of the size/design/whatever. Another bride wants to use her for the same day after you've booked and she turns her down because of time. Now, you change your order to a much less labor intensive design and she has to have someway of recouping potential loss.

It sucks, but it's there in black and white in the contract. For what it's worth, her cake is fabulous, but personality wise we definitely don't click.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess my major complaint was that I spoke to her about it specifically and she told me that if I called in my changes there would not be an additional fee, and she charged me anyway.  I agree if we had put down a deposit and if she had held our date I would owe a change fee, but with that being said, I did not put down a deposit when we met with her and she wrote out what we wanted for the cake.   Since to hold the date she requires a deposit, and she has not held the date for us, so I see no reason for her to charge me the additional $50.00 change fee.  And I completely agree that she makes the best cake and buttercream that I have ever tasted, but I am not sure I am willing to pay that additional fee, especially since I have gotten quotes from several other bakers as to cost for what we are wanting and she is 75-100 more, and I don't think that I am willing to over pay for even the best cake ever.  I would prefer to take that extra money and spend it on our honeymoon.

Thanks for the reply.

Rae
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    even if you didn't put down a deposit did you sign a contract? that's the most important thing. if you never signed anything that said you will be charged $50 for any changes, then there's no way she could charge you that fee.

Was your design really complicated initially or were you using some of her more expensive flavors? We booked I think in early December and we're getting a 4 tier cake and two sheet cakes for a little over $600, but we are using textured buttercream and nothing sculpted/decoration, etc.

If you signed a contract and verbally agreed that you didn't need your deposit, then I think you would be stuck with the fee. But not contract, no fee. But, with this economy you may be able to try and talk her out of it or at least decrease it. Schmooze her and say you only wish you could still use her cake, but the added fee puts you overbudget or something. Good luck!
  • Options
    Luvngrl247Luvngrl247 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, if you didnt sign anything then you shouldn't owe the fee.  Call her again and explain the situation and see if she is willing to help.  If not, if you didnt sign a contract or pay a deposit look elsewhere.  I went to Classic Cakes in Carmel last week for our tasting and LOVED it!  And I went to school with the girl there! haha But our 3 tier cake, with a custom cake flavor and a filling with fondant was about $500. (which we only have to pay a portion of since our reception venue pays some)
    But try them if you are not locked in, they are very willing to work with you!

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What are you wanting for a cake now? I didnt catch what your downsize went to as far as people and cake size. Let me know because I actually work as acake decorator for a place called Serendipity in Plainfield and I absolutely love the way her cake taste. Maybe a little partial :) Anyways just curious so I could help see prices and everything. It is crazy how you can say the word wedding and the price jumps greatly. I would be frusturated too girl!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards