Getting in Shape

Back on the wagon

I lost a ton of weight due to an illness, had surgery, and then gained it all back. I was ironically my most physically fit prior to my surgery. Going to the gym daily. 

We went to FBIL's wedding last weekend and he and his now wife are both gym people. She actually manages one. Made me feel like the fat sister. :( 

But enough pity party. Tomorrow, I am going to the gym, and Saturday too. And every day after that. I started the Live Fit Challenge on bodybuilding.com and I plan to start again. I got two weeks in and everything just gave out. 

Do you ever feel like you're just your own worst friend? 

Re: Back on the wagon

• We are our own worst enemies, it's true. I am always so hard on myself in every aspect of my life, not just fitness. Sometimes I just have to step back and realize how far I've come. There's a fine line between accountability and obsession, and I don't think I've crossed it. I try to think of my workouts as 'me' time, and allow myself to have treats. I'd rather this be a slow and steady thing, because I know that I can keep that up...

OP, you talk about family...

My sister has been yo-yoing for years, AND she has a fitness business. She's a self-proclaimed life coach and has done some figure competitions, but goes from one extreme to another. She's so obsessed with it that her dd has taken to hiding 'junk' food from her mother, just so she can have a taste. My sister is so controlling over it all that her kids have missed out on a lot of childhood things - I'm not advocating a diet full of cakes and candies with cotton candy for breakfast or anything -  but these kids can honestly say that they've never had, say, a piece of gummy candy. She's too far the other way. I'm striving for a balance.

So... welcome back to the wagon! We're all here together, the accountability thread is an awesome place to hang out and everyone is supportive and friendly.

Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes. 100%. 
    I do 3-4 Les Mills gym classes a day M-F, and two on Saturdays because it tends to follow up with a long hike or some outdoor and active activity. I try to run on Sundays but it depends on how my body is feeling. 

But it still doesn't feel like enough. I'm sore every single week in one way or the other, but it never seems enough. I think, "I could have done more tricep dips" or "I could have pushed a little harder in that step class" "I could have added another plate in the bicep track of pump" 
    Non-gym goers think I'm crazy and I know that. 
    But ultimately, when you see the limits your body has, you know when you slack even a tiny bit.. or when you could have pushed PAST that limit a little. 

Now is the time for you. You are coming off an injury so you need to be careful, but it's time for you to figure out your limits again. They may not be as high as they once were, or maybe some other body parts can be pushed more now from all the resting. 
    Get excited. Don't let yourself think of it as this daunting task that will take forever. 
    Tell yourself that it's freaking EXCITING to see your body's limits and push them! You have incredible muscles that neeeed to be pushed. Remember how awesome it is when you can put more weight on that bar. Progress rocks. You got this. :) 

• Yes, I have been my own worst friend many times. I have recently been thinking about how I used to look and how I would complain about that. This morning when a client said the same thing I thought, "well I am going to look back on this and think I looked good now so enjoy it."

Also, the challenge for today on Bridalicious (not word for word as I can't remember that) is to get a box or container or jar and everytime someone compliments you about your looks or what working out has done for you put a note in the jar so you can read the slips on days when you are feeling down. I am excited about this challenge.

Today I put my muscles feel tighter and stronger.
    Aug 2013 Brides - January Siggy Wedding Site, Pinecrest Lake: imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • These are awesome suggestions. 

It's just strange because when I lost all the weight from the illness, I thought, "I hate my body" because it wasn't ME that wanted to lose the weight. It was like I was an involuntary bulimic (not to make fun of bulimia, because it is an awful illness). Essentially my body wouldn't let me hold down any food that wasn't oatmeal and saltines. SO NOT HEALTHY! 

So anywho, when I could eat again I was like on a buffet 24/7. So now I'm watching what I eat. This weekend I roasted some pumpkin for puree for protein bars, and roasted spaghetti squashf or lunches next week. I need to make the tuna salad (I use more mustard and cayenne pepper for jump start the metabolism) and last week I went on 3 walks on my lunches. Also Saturday I biked 4 miles to my son's soccer game (Dad drove him) , so that was 8 miles total. 

I am bound and determined to not only look amazing in my wedding dress, but look amazing every day after that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards