Moms and Maids
Options

Step Father of the Bride...

Hi ladies,

My mother and step father are fronting most of the money for the wedding. My biological father passed away when i  was 11 so my step father will walk me down the aisle and dance with me. I don't want to disregard my father during the wedding so we will mention those who are in heaven in the program. My step father has raised me since I was 7 so he's basically my father. I am having a hard time picturing a gift for him since he's not uber sentimental and all of the father of the bride gifts seem to highlight thigns when they were young. Such as "Of all the walks we've taken, this one is my favorite" and "my little girl". His daughter, my step sister, is his little girl. Her mother passed when she was little so she's daddy's little girl. I'm a momma's girl. I just feel awkward about some of the gift options getting him something sentimental but not written on. I need ideas.

Re: Step Father of the Bride...

• Options
    Treat it more like you would his birthday. A really good good bottle of wine or alcohol, maybe a signed first edition of a book he likes, a piece of sports memorabilia from a favorite team. Don't feel at all obliged to buy a prepackaged thing of that ind if you aren't comfortable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Its not necessary to buy a "wedding-y" gift for your step-dad.  You could get a joint gift for your mom & step-dad.  Do they need anything for their house that they don't want to splurge on?  Or maybe just buy them a gift certificate for a really nice restaurant that they don't normally go to.

For my parents, we got them 2 gift certificates to different restaurants.  For my MIL, we got her a new notebook computer.  She needed a new computer.  We got if for her at a Black Friday sale and held it til the RD.  My parents didn't need anything, so we went the restaurant route with them.
  • Options
    If you give him something it should be personal. I liked the pp post about a bottle of wine or scotch. What reminds you of your step dad? It could be his favorite cigars or a gift card for golf stuff. The personal touch instead of mass produced wedding memorabilia is always the way to go!
  • Options
    You do know that you don't really have to have a gift for the parents? By having him walk you down the aisle, you have given him the highest honor you ever could. A heartfelt thank you note is what I'd appreciate the most. Well, that and a photo album.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards