Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Guest dress help

I've been searching for a dress for FI's cousins wedding that is in three weeks for forever now. It's down in Chattanooga and they're all Southern Baptists who are pretty traditionally rooted. The dress I wanted to wear FI has deemed too short/inappropriate for a southern church wedding. I've been trying dresses on like crazy and finally found one I liked last night. FI told me it was too long (knee length..?) and that it looked like a date night or Christmas party dress. I'm at a complete loss. I'm not a church person, though I know what is appropriate. But at this point I'm frustrated and have no idea what to look for anymore. I'd love to hear some suggestions for dresses that would be appropriate for a Southern Baptist church wedding in December. 
                                                                              Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Guest dress help

• Options
    I'm not sure, haha. My first dress that I already own is above the knee and apparently too short. The one I tried on and liked last night was just below my knee caps and he thought it was too long. So now I'm totally confused about length. 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    If it's too long, it can be hemmed.

Also, pictures might help.
  • Options
    What time of day is the wedding?
  • Options
    Could you put a wrap or cardigan with the dress for the ceremony, that way your shoulders and back are covered?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_guest-dress-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:9981b8e9-703b-48b7-8e95-978f984d5432Post:78b8e00b-6e9c-4395-bdd7-1e6eab8a5824">Re: Guest dress help</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I have no idea what is appropriate at a Southern Baptist Church, but I would stop listening to FI about length, since he obviously has no idea. In general, I consider a hemline that touches the top of the knee to be conservative. A conservative hemline with breasts and shoulders covered and shoes that don't show too much foot (peep toe, or something with closed heel open toe, or open toe but closed heel) should be fine. But <font color="#0000FF"><strong>maybe you should ask his mom just in case</strong></font>.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

Best. Idea. Ever.
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_guest-dress-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:9981b8e9-703b-48b7-8e95-978f984d5432Post:8a503eb9-64ff-4775-8317-8ac634be80fa">Guest dress help</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's down in Chattanooga and they're all Southern Baptists who are pretty traditionally rooted.
    Posted by cnf2013[/QUOTE]
    Oh mercy, I know that feeling. My fiancé's father's side of the family is also strongly Southern Baptist. That said, I've always worn knee-length dresses and even ones that a tad low cut to church and events with them and no one's been scandalized. I'd ask one of his female relatives -- guys don't know fashion.

• Options
    Thank you all for the responses!

We went to Macy's and I let FI pick out a bunch of dresses for me to try on. I got one that has a high neck line with straps and that touches just the top of my knees. I'll definitely go with close toed shoes. I'm actually going to wear the ones I bought for our wedding and take the opportunity to break them in.
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards