Wedding Photography and Videography Forum
Options

Photographer stress

Hello ladies, I've been a lurker here for a couple of weeks...my fiance and I are in sort of a strange situation.
We're getting married in Maui in 2 months (yikes!)  We got engaged 4 months ago, so the planning has been very fast.  We booked a photographer about soon after we were engaged.  They weren't my number one choice, but I was confident I'd be happy with them.  They have a FB page that they update frequently with their work.  I started getting a nagging feeling that I wasn't quite as happy with what I was seeing as I originally thought.  FI and I started having second thoughts.

It's been quite a stressful ride.  We found a new photg that we loved and who was available- until he realized he thought our wedding was in 2013.  Lame.
My fiance (who is an amateur photographer) found another photographer.  They are new to Maui, so they don't have the history of many well established photographer.  I have a good feeling about their work- they are techinically savvy and artistic.  I just get a good feeling from them and the way they've handled our inquiry.  They've also offered us an unbelieveable deal- because they are trying to establish their business. 

I'm just a little nervous about taking on a new photographer who isn't well established (they have over 10 years experience though) and doesn't have a lot of reviews.  They did offer references and I asked to see more photos since their website it a work in progress. (www.mauicreativephotography.com)

I also feel like they might be right for us though and I have the thought that everyone needs a chance to get started?
Any thoughts?

Re: Photographer stress

• Options
    Depending on your budget, you should consider Edward Keating, pulizter-winning photographer and NYTimes Staff photog for 12 years. He doesn't book up fast because he doesn't only shoot weddings. While he is based in NYC, he has done weddings across the globe. Not Maui yet, but I know he'd be thrilled to check it out.

Send me an email if interested: sales@edwardkeating.com

-Alon
  • Options
    <div>Hey there!</div><div>
    </div><div>Totally understand where you're coming from. I'm engaged myself and planning my wedding and I really want someone who I know 100% will be good! But I just went to a cousin's wedding last weekend and she used this company called Capsule. It was awesome! It's basically a private photo sharing app for the iPhone/Android and a private webpage. My cousin paid for the package but then all of us guests downloaded the app on our phones and posted our OWN pictures to a "capsule"! It was like we were all photographers. Totally cool...seriously considering using this for my own wedding.  Maybe you'd like to check it out?</div><div>
    </div><div>their website is <a href="http://www.trycapsule.com" rel="nofollow">www.trycapsule.com</a></div><div>
    </div><div>Hope this helps! </div><div>:)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photographer-stress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:2040bca9-4f63-4969-a22f-d53018afa177Post:2a765f8a-1ca8-4700-a350-87ed9625fb79">Photographer stress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies, I've been a lurker here for a couple of weeks...my fiance and I are in sort of a strange situation. We're getting married in Maui in 2 months (yikes!)  We got engaged 4 months ago, so the planning has been very fast.  We booked a photographer about soon after we were engaged.  They weren't my number one choice, but I was confident I'd be happy with them.  They have a FB page that they update frequently with their work.  I started getting a nagging feeling that I wasn't quite as happy with what I was seeing as I originally thought.  FI and I started having second thoughts. It's been quite a stressful ride.  We found a new photg that we loved and who was available- until he realized he thought our wedding was in 2013.  Lame. My fiance (who is an amateur photographer) found another photographer.  They are new to Maui, so they don't have the history of many well established photographer.  I have a good feeling about their work- they are techinically savvy and artistic.  I just get a good feeling from them and the way they've handled our inquiry.  They've also offered us an unbelieveable deal- because they are trying to establish their business.  I'm just a little nervous about taking on a new photographer who isn't well established (they have over 10 years experience though) and doesn't have a lot of reviews.  They did offer references and I asked to see more photos since their website it a work in progress. ( <a href="http://www.mauicreativephotography.com)" rel="nofollow">www.mauicreativephotography.com)</a> I also feel like they might be right for us though and I have the thought that everyone needs a chance to get started? Any thoughts?
    Posted by stephcap32[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    <div>Hey there!</div><div>
    </div><div>Totally understand where you're coming from. I'm engaged myself and planning my wedding and I really want someone who I know 100% will be good! But I just went to a cousin's wedding last weekend and she used this company called Capsule. It was awesome! It's basically a private photo sharing app for the iPhone/Android and a private webpage. My cousin paid for the package but then all of us guests downloaded the app on our phones and posted our OWN pictures to a "capsule"! It was like we were all photographers. Totally cool...seriously considering using this for my own wedding.  Maybe you'd like to check it out?</div><div>
    </div><div>their website is <a href="http://www.trycapsule.com" rel="nofollow">www.trycapsule.com</a></div><div>
    </div><div>Hope this helps! </div><div>:)</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_photos-video_photographer-stress-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:30Discussion:2040bca9-4f63-4969-a22f-d53018afa177Post:2a765f8a-1ca8-4700-a350-87ed9625fb79">Photographer stress</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello ladies, I've been a lurker here for a couple of weeks...my fiance and I are in sort of a strange situation. We're getting married in Maui in 2 months (yikes!)  We got engaged 4 months ago, so the planning has been very fast.  We booked a photographer about soon after we were engaged.  They weren't my number one choice, but I was confident I'd be happy with them.  They have a FB page that they update frequently with their work.  I started getting a nagging feeling that I wasn't quite as happy with what I was seeing as I originally thought.  FI and I started having second thoughts. It's been quite a stressful ride.  We found a new photg that we loved and who was available- until he realized he thought our wedding was in 2013.  Lame. My fiance (who is an amateur photographer) found another photographer.  They are new to Maui, so they don't have the history of many well established photographer.  I have a good feeling about their work- they are techinically savvy and artistic.  I just get a good feeling from them and the way they've handled our inquiry.  They've also offered us an unbelieveable deal- because they are trying to establish their business.  I'm just a little nervous about taking on a new photographer who isn't well established (they have over 10 years experience though) and doesn't have a lot of reviews.  They did offer references and I asked to see more photos since their website it a work in progress. ( <a href="http://www.mauicreativephotography.com)" rel="nofollow">www.mauicreativephotography.com)</a> I also feel like they might be right for us though and I have the thought that everyone needs a chance to get started? Any thoughts?
    Posted by stephcap32[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    I think you should give them a chance. The photos on their website look very nice. Some of them could be a bit sharper, but that could just be the computer and for the most part they look very nice. I'm starting out in photography as well, and know I would want someone to give me the chance and not disregard me just because I'm new. If they showed you images of their work, and you like it/their editing style/quality of the images, and the deal is good, I say go for it! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards