Moms and Maids
Options

Dress Shopping

Who did you bring dress shopping with you? Is there an etiquette to this? Am I supposed to invite my FI's sisters and his mom?

Re: Dress Shopping

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went with my Mom the first time. I definitely agree with Retread. Taking a bunch of people with you can be more stressful and confusing. You will many opinions, dislikes/likes and it will be hard to sort them all out and distract you from finding your dream dress.

Once I had narrowed my search down to a few dresses, I took my MIL and SIL with me b/c my Mom couldn't come.
  • Options
    casims3casims3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I took my mom, sister, and MOH with me the first time. (My MOH flew in from out of town specifically to come with.) But I agree, it can be overwhelming with too many people. Once I had the final dress picked out, I have my FMIL and FSILs come see it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ShakeUpTampaShakeUpTampa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm actually taking my sister (BM), my MOH, my other BM and my good friend Clyde who is doing all the music is meeting up at the first store..both the MOH and Clyde can only be present for one appt due to schedules so they might or might not see me pick my dress. If it's too complicated and stressful I will make future appointments until I find what I want
    Nichole Tampa, FL BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    bstentbstent member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's totally a personal choice, if there is etiquette I haven't heard it and I dont think it matters! For me, I want my mom, MIL, and two sisters to be there  because it'll mean a lot to me and to them. Plus I know my mom and sisters will be completely (but nicely) honest with me about what is and isn't flattering. 
    The biggest thing to keep in mind is who you want to share the moment with (if picking your dress is a big deal to you). Also keep in mind the personalities of the people you're inviting and what you want from them (for example don't invite your very opinionated friend who doesn't have a filter if you don't want brutal honesty, or don't rely solely your amazingly sweet friend who couldn't hurt a fly if you want the honest answer about how a dress looks).
    Make it fun, light, and special!
  • Options
    mcskatcatmcskatcat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's no cut and dry rule.  I would stick to those who know you best.  My ILs were a thousand miles away, but honestly they don't know my style or personality well enough to have been invited dress shopping and to have had an opinion in the matter.  Invite the people you feel know your style and attitude best.  I tried on a few that some people thought looked amazing, but they knew it just wasn't me. 

Also - don't bring anyone really pushy.  I didn't have anyone pushy in my group, but I've watched enough Say Yes to the Dress to tell you not to bring anyone that is bossy or will try to talk you into something. 
  • Options
    barbie92barbie92 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I just took my mom the first time we went to look. I honestly didn't think I would find the dress, but it was the second one I tried on!
    My grandma was upset, but as soon as I found it I had her go look at it with me the next day before I said that it was for sure my dress!

IMO- The less people the better!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image Robby James born 2.24.12 @ 23 weeks due to preterm labor
    Remembering Robby
  • Options
    KnibletKniblet member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went by myself.  There's not really a rule.

Although, I will say that I think it's best if you don't take too many people.  Too many opinions will drive you nuts. 
    vacation vacation vacation vacation
    It's almost here! Weeeeeeee!
    my read shelf:
    Jaime's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    43/70 books read

Back in June 2010...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I only took my mom and grandma. I tried on my dress for my MOHs when we went bridesmaid dress shopping.
    -This is not legal advice- Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPiclarger_image
  • Options
    phunluvin82phunluvin82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

It is totally up to you!  I took my sis, my mom, and my grandma.  MOH and FMIL were both invited also but couldn't come.  They both made it to fitting #1 so they still got to see the dress and be included even though I'd already made my choice.  Was prob better that way anyway...too many people's opinions can = confusion like a lot of PP said.

• Options
    edited December 2011

My DD went a different direction.  We invited everyone to a first appointment at Davids Bridal....BMs, MOH, MOG, a couple of friends.  She tried on all different kinds of styles, whatever anyone wanted her to try.  Then we went out to lunch with everyone.  It was a lovely day.  Then, she and I did the real looking and found the dress three stores later.  Everyone felt included and we still had our special time.

My baby girl is a married woman...and now my baby girl HAS a baby girl. Time unfolds in such an amazing way. I've been blessed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards