Getting in Shape
Options

Newbie with a sweet tooth!

Hey ladies!
I'm new here...needing to lose about 8-10 pounds in the next 5 months (my dress arrives in January!). I have been in crazy good shape before, so I know I will regret looking less than my best for our wedding!
My problem is emotional eating...after a rough day at work I have been known to go nuts on candy, ice cream, or anything sweet and indulgent! :( I've also just moved from chicago to a very rural and lonely place and so the lonely/bored/overwhelmed by change eating is spiraling out of control!
Anyway, I'm here to get inspired and motivated, and hopefully I'm able to give some support and encouragement too!
I look forward to getting to know you all! :)

Re: Newbie with a sweet tooth!

• Options
    Maybe you can make a list of things that you can do when you are feeling emotional instead of eating such as going for a walk, calling a friend, listening to music, ect. 
  • Options
    I need to lose about 50 by February. Sweets is my downfall too. I think the thing about staying motivated to lose is to keep busy and maybe get a personal trainer. I am in boot camp however, I need to change up my eating ha its some. Maybe we can motivate one another by challenging each other each week until you lose the pounds.
  • Options
    I've read that it takes ten minutes for a craving to pass. Doesn't sound like much until you're having one! lol

I agree with PP, make a list of things to do instead of eating. Also, make it less fun. Every time you want to eat something, make sure that you sit at the table. Don't eat in front of the tv or standing up at the counter. Every time you want to eat for comfort, have a glass of water.

Start thinking of food as fuel.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    J&K10910J&K10910 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_newbie-with-a-sweet-tooth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:77e54030-4a7d-4992-ab34-f9892bf64844Post:1c1fa3ea-b3e5-4841-b938-cd448c488f1c">Re: Newbie with a sweet tooth!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe you can make a list of things that you can do when you are feeling emotional instead of eating such as going for a walk, calling a friend, listening to music, ect. 
    Posted by shaina925[/QUOTE]

Yup.  And try to do these things before you even get home.  I have a 30-60 minute commute, and I use my commute to wind down and de-stress.  I blast showtunes in my car and sing, call a friend to catch up, etc. 

I agree with Jenny's advice of always eating at the table too.  I used that to help get my emotional/boredom eating under control.  Also, always portion things out.  Want some chips?  No problem.  Put a reasonable portion on a plate or napkin, put away the bag, and sit at the table to eat them.  When you're done, find something else to do.  The things that I KNOW I tend to overeat I portion out as soon as I get it home from the store, and store in reusable containers or ziploc bags in reasonable portions.  I can grab one baggie and know that it's a reasonable portion, and then I'm done. 

Also, sometimes just the hand to mouth and chewing motions are helpful.  So replace your normal emotional eating snacks with healthier snacks that give you the same motions.  Edamame, unbuttered air popped popcorn, baby carrots, frozen corn, grapes, etc.  Figure out what your favorite emotional eating foods are, and don't keep them in the house.  If you're truly craving them badly enough to go out and get them, get a single serving (no big bags of candy bars!) and enjoy it. 

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    I can't keep sweets in my apartment, they disappear to quickly. However, I have become a fan of somewhat healthy, individually portioned things like chocolate Special K bars, Skinny Cow snacks, etc. I limit myself to one per day which is easier considering they're individually packaged instead of a bottomless bag of chips.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions! :) I've done pretty well so far by just chewing sugar free gum when I'm dying for something sweet. And looking at my wedding dress pictures helps too! I'm focusing on cutting back on sugar and empty carbs...I can't believe even carrots have 5 grams of sugar in them!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_newbie-with-a-sweet-tooth?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:77e54030-4a7d-4992-ab34-f9892bf64844Post:e3b4ed2b-1512-4ce4-90c1-5f5f9c3867af">Re: Newbie with a sweet tooth!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all of the suggestions! :) I've done pretty well so far by just chewing sugar free gum when I'm dying for something sweet. And looking at my wedding dress pictures helps too! I'm focusing on cutting back on sugar and empty carbs...I can't believe even carrots have 5 grams of sugar in them!
    Posted by FruitSnack84[/QUOTE]

Great job!! Keep it up!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards