October 2012 Weddings

The dreaded invitation addressing

I see some of you have started to send your invitations so forgive me if these questions have been asked numerous times already (I haven't been able to be on the board much)

For our parent's friends and more traditional people I am addressing the couple the traditional way, i.e. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Smith.  I am not a fan of that but it's not a huge deal.  For my married friends who are more modern is there anything wrong with omitting the man's name i.e. just Mr. and Mrs. Smith?  I am more comfortable with that but just want to make sure it's not a HUGE faux pas.  I can't find much about this online.

One more thing: If the couple lives together but is not married it goes on separate lines right? Like Mr. Robert Smith
                 Ms. Sarah Jones

Thanks all!

Re: The dreaded invitation addressing

• I dont see a problem with omitting the man's name, but i personally like the way it looks when you write
    Mr. & Mrs. Robert Smith

for non married friends that live together
    i did
    Mr. Robert Smith
    Miss Sarah Jones

i believe its Miss, Ms is reserved for women who have been married before, etc, i think!
  • Omitting first names is fine.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_october-2012-weddings_the-dreaded-invitation-addressing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:56b9bcef-1e34-456e-81f5-cfaa107456b2Discussion:01eedd29-b27b-4a11-ae4e-870a3637f6c1Post:2998a940-418b-4ca8-81e1-666109c2195e">Re: The dreaded invitation addressing</a>:
    [QUOTE]I dont see a problem with omitting the man's name, but i personally like the way it looks when you write Mr. & Mrs. Robert Smith for non married friends that live together i did Mr. Robert Smith Miss Sarah Jones i believe its Miss, <strong>Ms is reserved for women who have been married before, etc, i think!</strong>
    Posted by mpjf1001[/QUOTE]

Oooh is this true?  Thanks for the heads up!  I will have to look into that.  I like Miss better than Ms. anyway!
  • Not true. Ms. is not just for previously married women.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited July 2012
    Ms. is for any woman over the age of 18, previously married or not. We looked this up when addressing invites to FMIL's friends & family. I'm not as particular and neither are my guests, but she is and so are her guests. I did unmarried living together on the same line such as

Mr. John Doe & Ms. Jane Smith
    123 Sesame Street

Like I said, I'm not as picky though. With most of my generation of friends I didn't use titles. :-/ including the married ones. Like I said, my guests aren't easily offended and our wedding isn't terribly formal, so I don't think it's an issue. Another reason I did this is that a lot of the married couples I know, I don't know the husband very well, so I wanted to include my friend's name on the invite. Older friends, I used Mr. & Mrs. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I think omitting the man's name is fine as well. For unmarried co-habitating couples, I have kind of just put it the way it looked best. For example if they had two very long names I split the names onto two lines, but if the names fit well and looked good on one line, I left it that way. Also, Ms. is not just reserved for women who were previously married, you can even choose to use it if you are married. I actually had a teacher in high school who explained it to us. She said she went by Ms. because "she didn't think it was anyone's business whether she was married or not." lol
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Yes, it goes on separate lines. I don't see an issue if you address your friends differently. I don't think they will really care. I am also nontraditional, so I don't see an issue with it. Although, I did address all my invites the correct way...I dont know why. Lol
    weddingpic
  • Sorry about the Miss and Ms. like i had said "i think"
    i addressed all my single younger girls under 30 as Miss and i think i had two women on my list that were previously married invited on their own and i wrote Ms.
    they've been mailed and i dont care=)
  • Thanks for all the input ladies!  I am going to try not to stress about this because the majority of my guests will not even pay attention to the envelope!  However, I know for a fact that certain FMIL's friends and family will!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards