Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

How soon is too soon to reserve hotel blocks?

Hi Ladies! First post ever right here...

My fiance and I are getting married in Fort Worth (close to downtown) on October 26, 2013. We just moved to Texas 3 months ago so everyone else is coming from out of town for the wedding. As we are not fans of any Texas football teams, I did not look at TCU's schedule when reserving the date. But now I've learned that Texas is playing at TCU that weekend. That would be considered a big game, right? A big enough game to make it difficult for our guests to get decent hotel rooms in Fort Worth that weekend? How soon is too soon to reserve hotel blocks? Any tips?

Re: How soon is too soon to reserve hotel blocks?

• I would consider that to be a big football game, especially with the TCU stadium having been recently renovated to expand the capacity. I would reach out to hotels early to ensure that the blocks are in place as early as possible since that weekend has the potential to book hotels solid. I would imagine that in anticipation of the influx of visitors to FTW, hotels will increase the price of rooms as well, so to lock your guests in at a low price early will be great. This way, you can get the information out to your OOT guests and stress the importance of booking under the block. It doesn't cost anything to create the block, and this is one of those things that is easy to take care of early.
  • edited December 2012
    I think we set up our block in April for our November wedding.  Like Courtski said, it doesn't cost anything to set up a block and it's nice to have it out of the way.

Plus, the earlier you book, the easier it would be to add rooms if you find out you'll need them later.
    Anniversary

• Agreed. We did it about 5 months out, but there was nothing big going on that weekend in Dallas. I would do it as soon as possible.
  • Hi!  We are getting married in Ft. Worth in March and just now locking in our room block.  I don't know if it's just the downtown hotels but most of the ones FI has contacted will make us guarantee a certain percentage of the rooms we are blocking.  If we don't make the percentage and the hotel is not able to sell the rooms, we'll be on the hook up to that percentage.  The only one that didn't require that was a lower end hotel.  So... ask lots of questions about the contract and what your responsiblity will be if the block is not all used.  It's not a huge deal but it is making us look a lot closer at how many rooms and nights we will need for sure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards