California-Los Angeles
Options

Counting Calories...

Ok Ladies, am I the only one "stressing" about this. You see that ticker right under my photo...it's like mocking me everyday. I've set a goal 30lbs by Sept 25, 2010. 

I get up at 4:30am go to the gym. I come home like 6:30. I've gotten rid of my favorite foods.My diet consist of chicken ( I LOVE RED MEAT) egg whites, and salads. Now what the hell, do I do? I've only lost 10lbs! SERIOUSLY: Is starvation really the next step? 

Maybe some of you could share what you are doing...cux my plateau is killing me! 

Re: Counting Calories...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I post on the Getting in Shape board, and I recommend that you check it out! It's full of ladies going through the same issues, and they are all really supportive.

I would say to look through a few pages of posts first, and you can learn a lot about what people are doing.

If you have questions, there are some REALLY wise people on that board that know what they are talking about.

There is a daily accountability post that I participate in- we wrte down what we will eat for the day and what exercise. It helps to see it in writing, sometimes.

There are also days where people share inspiration, motivation, progress, tips, etc.

But to answer your question- no, starvation is not the answer! Weightloss can be a slow process if you do it right, without "quick fixes" that don't last. Think of it this way- it took years to put that weight on, so it could take a year/years to get it all off the RIGHT way. If you resort to crash diets, etc, the weight may come off initially, but you'll gain it right back as soon as you get off it. I assume you want to be healthy for longer than just the wedding...so it's a slower process. It sounds like you are eating healthy, working out....it's all a matter of math- calories in vs. calories burned. And a combination between cardio and strength training.

Good luck, and come check us out on GIS! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel your pain! Losing weight is hard. Because you are working out--you may only need to lose 20 lb instead of 30lbs because you are toning your body not just losing fat--does that make sense?  Inches are more important than pounds!  Are you down a size or two yet? If so, that is a big deal!

Are you snacking too much?  Are you eating more than you think?  It sounds like you are going everything right to me! :) Good Luck!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have a question about your gym routine.  Do you do any weight lifting?  I have been working with a trainer for a few months now and I have lost a ton of inches all over because I do 30 minutes of cardio and then and hour of weight training. Your muscles have to get stronger to loose weight I don't exactly understand it but it has worked for me.  Maybe you could switch up your routine, your body might be too used to what you do everyday. 

I think you look great already and I'm sure this is just a temporary thing and you will start loosing again. GL!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Muscle burns more than fat at a resting metobolic rate, so you need to be lifting heavy weights, not just doing cardio. A lot of girls on the GIS board like "New Rules of Lifting for Women."

Also, are you eating ENOUGH calories? Your net should be 1200 a day. So if you burn 300 at the gym, eat 1500 calories a day. I track what I eat on sparkpeople.com and it is VERY helpful. I also print it out and show it to my trainer. I highly recommend a personal trainer once or twice a week too.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    CRNota- Thank You for sharing...I think I will go check it out :)

My gym routine is about an hour or cardio, weight training...not really. I use to do 800 sit ups a day but I thought it was getting pointless so I started doing crunches with 25lbs weight on them. My stomach is very hard by that...but sometimes I wonder if I need to loose MORE weight to be doing thatUndecided

FI's cousin is going to introduce me to a personal trainer on thursday and we r going to "boot camp" for an hour. Wish we luck!

I'm thinking of going back to the nutritionist, slumped as I walk in and say " Marina I'm back" she was awesome 2 yrs ago. I lost 50lbs with her guidance, but I gained 25lbs last year. I was enjoying the engagement toooooo much!

LADIES WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I must say this though...Marina the nutritionist I had...I asked her the very same question back then...she was TOTALLY AGAINST me lifting weights. She thought I needed to get my heart beating during cardio. She thought I was too heavy to be doing that and to loose some weight and then consider lifting weights. Also she didn't want me running either.

WeirdUndecided

Time for a different nutritionist?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hm that is weird about the nutritionist. Everything I've ever read and heard about from trainers, etc suggest lifting weights- for people of ALL sizes. Unless maybe it was one of those people that are so morbidly obese that they can't get out of  bed or something, but obviously that's not you!

Strength training really is an important component to weight loss. I suggest asking the trainer you are meeting with. While a nutritionist specializes in FOOD, she may  not really know what she is talking about on the exercise front. A trainer would.

Of course, you DO want to get your heart beating, so cardio in combination is important. Also, if you are lifting heavy enough weights, your heart will be beating from that! I burn as many calories lifting heavy weights as I do with cardio, and I am sweating/out of breath/etc.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's possible that you need to change up your routine a little.  Your body gets used to doing the same kind of exercise.  So maybe instead of going to the gym for a week, go for a hike, or a swim.  Start affecting different muscles and see if that jumpstarts your body into losing again.

I've been on many diets and the plateau part of it was always the killer. Definitely starving isn't gonna have any lasting results.  Maybe you'll lose a little water weight but it comes back with a vengeance in no time and isn't sustainable!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely lift some weights!!  If you want to burn fat, build muscle because muscle burns fat!
    For example, I had always done cardio not much weight lifting.  I started a program called ChaLean Extreme [I mix in cardio also] and it's all about heavy weight lifting with minimal reps.  Im in the 2nd month and I've lost 16lbs and 2 dress sizes.  I'm not saying that to compare, I'm saying it so you know heavy weight lifting CAN help you lose weight!  Cardio can only do so much.  I do suggest if you do weight lifting, keep with your cardio because they go hand in hand. =]

Also, you could not be eating ENOUGH.  Sometimes we think eating less all the time is the answer [for the most ppl it is] but I know it's happened to me in the past where I wasn't eating enough.  If you're not eating enough for your body to burn, you'll come across a block you can't seem to get past and in some cases it's going to counteract.

Also I suggest when doing weight lifting or sit ups or squats etc, doing them slow with control.  10-12 reps on each side is way more effective than doing 200 fast because when you do them fast, you are going off of momentum not your actual muscle.  If you go super slow while flexing your muscle, it's 10x harder and THAT's when you know you are working your muscle.

Good luck girly!  If you have any other fitness questions I'd be glad to help!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    krissilanikrissilani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    HI!
    I think 10 lbs. is great- but then again I don't know how long you've been dieting! :)
    Though the foods you mentioned sound all good, I would look out for hidden sugars.  You can eat alot and lose alot if you cut out refined sugars and white flour. Fat in the diet isn't the culprit- it really is the sugar.  I cut out all sugar and lost 10lbs. on that alone. I filled up on meat, salads, veggies, whole wheat pasta.  (And if you have to have a sweet, eat a fruit, like an apple or pear that is lower on the glycemic index comparitively). Also, try and stop eating by 7pm at night, you want to go to bed a little hungry.  Good Luck, and I'm sure you'll be beautiful no matter what weight you are on your big day!
  • Options
    geal3456geal3456 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

All points are good, but its important to eat like every 3 hours. Not major meals, but nutritional things. They say it helps keep your metabolism going and it works for me. Also ditto about the weight lifting.

• Options
    Vans18Vans18 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you are doing the right things, although since you lost so much weight before then gained some back, its double the work to loose that weight again.  Rule number one is that if you loose weight, try not to gain any back because it'll be harder one you. So I think that's what happened. Be patient...you will eventually loose it again just takes time.  I also agree with ellefirst, you prob need to lose inches instead of weight, because if you are lifting weights and doing cardio you will loose fat, but gain muscle...so it looks like you aren't loosing weight but you are. so in the end you are loosing fat and converting it to muscle that's why you don't see your weight number changing. This is really hard to explain I hope you get it. hehe.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Got it lifting weights is essential...I'll have to try that tomorrow. Thanks for all the wonderful advice ladies.

Candee-WOW!!! I need to be drinking out of your water Wink Congrats on that wonderful weight loss.

Vans-I thought the same thing...this time around was going to be MUCH harder. And it comes to prove me right! GRRRR! Also lets add the fact I'm older tooEmbarassed

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's all about variety in working out.  I love going to spin class.  It kicks my butt and I sweat like crazy, but after an hour I'm all done!  I also purchased Jillian Michaels's 30 day shred video and wholy guacamole, it really gets my body going!  I like to do it when I get home later from work and don't want to go to the gym b/c it only takes 30 minutes.

WATER, WATER, WATER!  I have stopped drinking pretty much everything else, unless I'm treating myself.

Take a basket of fruit to work each Monday.  I make sure that by the time I leave work I have eaten 3 pieces of fruit.

Get rid of any temptations you have lying around the house.

You can do it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    pajarito81pajarito81 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I started training with a physical trainer recently, and she has me doing circuit training on a 1500 calorie diet a day . I have heard that its good to "shock" the body all the time so that you are doing different things all the time for excercise. Have a variety of things you are doing for exercise for routine, not just the same. I don't know if you are working with a trainer or not, but it might not be a bad idea to get some certified help involved if you are on a time crunch and struggling. My trainer is good, and very affordable if you want her info, let me know.
    pajarito81@hotmail
    Mrs. F 9-18-10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards