May 2012 Weddings
Options

my mom has gone nuts

So, yes, my mom has gone crazyyyyy. 

yesterday we met with our wedding planners. we're having a rather large wedding, outside....my family owns a bed and breakfast with a beautiful side yard. 

as a way to be somewhat different we decided to have a curved center aisle. it's a soft curve....kind of S shaped. it will be beautiful. As a plus, since we're outside, it will also allow more people to see me walk down the aisle because it will reduce the angle issue that happens with straight aisles (when everyone is standing, you only have a small window of opportunity to see the bride walk down the aisle...mainly when she is right beside your pew/seats and when she's in front of you...unless you're very tall)

so, there's a tree in the yard....and my mom's bright idea is to sit family directly beside it...since it's relatively close to the spot we're getting married. what she THEN realizes is that that's not a great place to see me walking down the aisle..since it's obscured by a tree. there is no. reason. at. all why family should sit next to this darn tree. there's more than enough space to have them sit directly behind where we're getting married. 

instead of seeing reason, she thinks I should just walk wayyyy past the spot where the aisle starts (like 500+ feet past it...) to the whooole opposite side of the yard, just so these darn family members can sit next to the darn tree and see me for like 10 more seconds as I walk down the aisle. 

these people will have an obscured veiw of almost everything, not to mention they'll be separated out from the other 90% of chairs that we'll have set up, directly behind us. 

I tried reasoning with her...but she's stuck on the tree. so, I instructed the wedding planners to set the chairs up that morning and to do it my way (which they agree with) and let her be blissfully unaware until she arrives at the ceremony! hope she doesn't have a hissy fit about that darn tree!!
imageAnniversary

Re: my mom has gone nuts

• Options
    Haha, that's kinda funny. But I get that its frustrating. Good luck, in the end I don't think she'll care, or notice too much :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_my-mom-has-gone-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:3726dd43-0699-400d-8555-3b1570228a06Post:c7bfcb8d-aeb9-4054-808e-edfc38caeb6b">Re: my mom has gone nuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Haha, that's kinda funny. But I get that its frustrating. Good luck, in the end I don't think she'll care, or notice too much :)
    Posted by Illusae[/QUOTE]

<div>i agree with this... and i also love that you have george clooney in your siggy pic  haha  :)</div>
  • Options
    Way to be...I love it when brides stand their ground!
    photo trex2_zps7ab4e9b0.jpg
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    That's definitely the approach I would take! And honestly she probably won't even notice the day of. Congrats on keeping your backbone, I think a lot of us (me included) need to work on that. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_my-mom-has-gone-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:3726dd43-0699-400d-8555-3b1570228a06Post:45a809f8-c405-45d7-949a-e3e4beca839e">Re: my mom has gone nuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's definitely the approach I would take! And honestly she probably won't even notice the day of. <strong>Congrats on keeping your backbone, I think a lot of us (me included) need to work on that. </strong>
    Posted by caitlinc09[/QUOTE]

Yup. Good job :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Good luck! My Mom is really similar. She drives me bonkers the things she decides to be OCD about. I always want to be like "I don't have time to deal with this." Haha.
    newimagesize Anniversary Vacation
  • Options
    1. I love the curved aisle idea.
    2. This made me giggle, because I'm picturing a regular ceremony set up, with a tree off to the side that your family is forced to sit under.

Tell your mom you're worried about bugs dropping from the tree onto guests. I've actually seen this happen at ceremonies, it's gross.
    Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
    50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_may-2012-weddings_my-mom-has-gone-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:f0ca0bc1-9255-4120-8042-b40e7f3e99c5Discussion:3726dd43-0699-400d-8555-3b1570228a06Post:b03a8f28-080e-418d-88cd-dc3481d8a302">Re: my mom has gone nuts</a>:
    [QUOTE]1. I love the curved aisle idea. 2. This made me giggle, because I'm picturing a regular ceremony set up, with a tree off to the side that your family is forced to sit under. Tell your mom you're worried about bugs dropping from the tree onto guests. I've actually seen this happen at ceremonies, it's gross.
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]

1) Aisle sounds awesome (I'm doing something similar).

2) not only bugs but bird poo, pollen, seeds, small twigs, etc. I love trees but forcing guests to sit under one is probably not ideal.

good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible. ~Nora Ephron, When Harry Met Sally
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards