Michigan-Detroit
Options

Cleaning candles from votives?

What is the best method to get old, melted candles out of votives? I have a ton of votives that I would like to reuse for our reception, but found that it is a pain to get the candle out of the votive to replace with a new one. Does anyone have any tips that are quick and easy to clean them? TIA!
PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker PhotobucketBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cleaning candles from votives?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Freeze them and they should pop right out with the help of a butter knife.
  • Options
    emarston1emarston1 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The freezer trick didn't really work all that well for me since I had substantial amounts left in votives I bought from another knottie. 

So I found that letting the candle burn for a few minutes (so the wax softens) worked the best.  That way you could just pull the entire candle out, almost like taffy.
  • Options
    sunkissed212sunkissed212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I bought about 150 votive holders from another knottie that still had varying amounts of candle left in them. I froze them overnight and then just popped out the candle by either tapping it on the counter until it popped out or (some of them) I helped the candle out with a butter knife. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
    TTC #1 since 8/2010...2 years, 6 IUI's and 1 m/c later...
    08/2012 IVF #1, 2 5-day blasts transferred 8/19 = BFP! Beta 1 (8/28)=241, Beta 2 (8/30)=457, Beta 3 (9/5)=3,813, u/s 9/13=Twins!, u/s 9/21=Surprise...there's one more! TRIPLETS!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    klreese0213klreese0213 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i worked in a candle gift shop for 3 1/2 years.. the method we always used was running hot water in the jar/glass/candle holder/(whatever the candle is in), let it run for about a min or so... then take a spoon and kinda scoop it out. Then to clean the holder, if it's glass, use windex
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards