Moms and Maids

Bridal Party MIA! Vent...

I would like to consider myself a pretty relaxed bride. I am almost completely indifferent about most things "wedding". Only a few things, like my centerpieces and my dress, I am really picky about. So it's not like I am a bridezilla expecting my bridal party to tie every ribbon and make sure it's straight. But it seems like my whole party for the last few months has been completely MIA. I have 7 BM, 3 of which are out-of-staters. I do not expect anything from the out-of-staters, obviously. They are doing ME a big enough favor just by coming. 2 of the other girls have new houses with children and I understand they are busy. The other 2 BM, however, are single with part time jobs and nothing but time on their hands. Yet, not ONE of them has offered to help with anything! In fact, neither of the two single girls have even gotten their dresses altered and the wedding is 11 days away! I just feel like they don't care AT ALL and they are supposed to be some of my best friends. I am really at a loss as to what do do after the wedding is over. Do I pretend my feelings weren't hurt? What happens when their Special Day comes around and they expect me to help with every tiny detail? I am just kind of shocked as to how they are so uncaring of one of the biggest days of my life. I understand they have lives and I don't expect them to help me with everything, but an offer would have at least been nice.  
Live long, laugh often, love much. Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bridal Party MIA! Vent...

• vicki0508vicki0508 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe they didn't know you needed help, so they never offered.  Maybe they just didn't want to help you with your DIY projects.  Either way, don't address it with them afterwards.  It's not worth ruining your friendships because you don't feel like they helped you enough.  If you need help with DIY projects, recruit FI.

As far as the dresses, maybe they don't think they need to be altered?  Maybe the seamstress said it would only take an afternoon.  Leave it up to them.  If they are stuck wearing an ill fitting dress, that sucks for them but really doesn't effect you at all.

Let it go.  All of it.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridal-party-mia-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:bc5b4a56-4c5f-4ddc-97f9-260440e008bdPost:07e2c5b1-6005-4075-bc55-ba11ee834798">Bridal Party MIA! Vent...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to consider myself a pretty relaxed bride. I am almost completely indifferent about most things "wedding". Only a few things, like my centerpieces and my dress, I am really picky about. So it's not like I am a bridezilla expecting my bridal party to tie every ribbon and make sure it's straight. But it seems like my whole party for the last few months has been completely MIA. I have 7 BM, 3 of which are out-of-staters. I do not expect anything from the out-of-staters, obviously. They are doing ME a big enough favor just by coming. 2 of the other girls have new houses with children and I understand they are busy. The other 2 BM, however, are single with part time jobs and nothing but time on their hands. Yet, not ONE of them has offered to help with anything! In fact, neither of the two single girls have even gotten their dresses altered and the wedding is 11 days away! I just feel like they don't care AT ALL and they are supposed to be some of my best friends. I am really at a loss as to what do do after the wedding is over. Do I pretend my feelings weren't hurt? What happens when their Special Day comes around and they expect me to help with every tiny detail? I am just kind of shocked as to how they are so uncaring of one of the biggest days of my life. I understand they have lives and I don't expect them to help me with everything, but an offer would have at least been nice.  
    Posted by smfoster23[/QUOTE]
  • edited December 2011
    They don't have to help you. It's not a requirement of a Bridesmaid.
  • Maggie0829Maggie0829 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridal-party-mia-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:357Discussion:bc5b4a56-4c5f-4ddc-97f9-260440e008bdPost:07e2c5b1-6005-4075-bc55-ba11ee834798">Bridal Party MIA! Vent...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would like to consider myself a pretty relaxed bride. I am almost completely indifferent about most things "wedding". Only a few things, like my centerpieces and my dress, I am really picky about. So it's not like I am a bridezilla expecting my bridal party to tie every ribbon and make sure it's straight. But it seems like my whole party for the last few months has been completely MIA. I have 7 BM, 3 of which are out-of-staters. I do not expect anything from the out-of-staters, obviously. They are doing ME a big enough favor just by coming. 2 of the other girls have new houses with children and I understand they are busy. The other 2 BM, however, are single with part time jobs and nothing but time on their hands. Yet, not ONE of them has offered to help with anything! In fact, neither of the two single girls have even gotten their dresses altered and the wedding is 11 days away! I just feel like they don't care AT ALL and they are supposed to be some of my best friends. I am really at a loss as to what do do after the wedding is over. Do I pretend my feelings weren't hurt? <strong>What happens when their Special Day comes around and they expect me to help with every tiny detail</strong>? <strong>I am just kind of shocked as to how they are so uncaring of one of the biggest days of <em><u>my</u></em> life</strong>. I understand they have lives and I don't expect them to help me with everything, but an offer would have at least been nice.  

You stated it...it is YOUR day not theirs.  No one will care about your wedding as much as you will.  Just because they are single with part-time jobs doesn't mean that all they do is sit around twidling their thumbs.  They have lives too so you can't expect them to help. 

How do you know that they will expect you to help with every little detail when they get married?  They are not required to help...you will not be required to help.

As far as their dresses go, are you sure they need to be altered?  It is their responsibility and if they look dumb on your day it will reflect poorly on them not you.

I also have 11 days to go but aren't expecting my girls to help out because I am stressing/nervous/excited about things.

Just breathe...they do care about you and they care about your wedding day...they just aren't showing it they way you want them to.

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridal-party-mia-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:bc5b4a56-4c5f-4ddc-97f9-260440e008bdPost:d939bcc4-d597-46ed-a3cd-7c2048eed194">Re: Bridal Party MIA! Vent...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe they didn't know you needed help, so they never offered.  Maybe they just didn't want to help you with your DIY projects.  Either way, don't address it with them afterwards.  It's not worth ruining your friendships because you don't feel like they helped you enough.  If you need help with DIY projects, recruit FI. As far as the dresses, maybe they don't think they need to be altered?  Maybe the seamstress said it would only take an afternoon.  Leave it up to them.  If they are stuck wearing an ill fitting dress, that sucks for them but really doesn't effect you at all. Let it go.  All of it.
    Posted by vicki0508[/QUOTE]

<div>All of this.  I have 1 bridesmaid who falls all over herself to offer help b/c it's just the kind of person she is.  My other bridesmaid flat out told me that she doesn't know anything about weddings and will need me to tell her if I need her help or is supposed to be doing anything. </div>
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011

Please don't express to two of your bridesmaids that your feelings are hurt. They shouldn't be. You stated that your out of state bridesmaids are doing you a favor just by coming... Why are you holding the other two bm's to higher standards? I realize this may be an exciting time in your life, but it is an exciting time in yours and FI's life, not theirs.  NO ONE will be as excited about your wedding as you are. They do not eat, sleep, dream wedding. Please do not expect your in town bridesmaids to be any different than your out of state bridesmaids.

• graysquirrelgraysquirrel member
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pps-- helping with projects isn't their job. I understand that you'd think that as friends they'd want to help because that's what friends do, but I'd look at this like any other project. Would they volunteer to help you paint your kitchen or weed your garden? Probably not. Don't take it personally. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    So,

here's what I don't get about all this "they're not required to help you" snippy little posts.

First of all, rawwwwwwwwwwr, people certainly love passing judgement on the internet. I guess I do too though, because here I go!

I think every Bride is going to have a different dynamic with their Bridesmaids. Usually they are carefully selected and good friends. I don't know what kind of friends other people have, or how strained the relationship is, but I know for a fact none of my girls would say yes to being in my wedding and then not do a thing wedding related with me untill the big day. Eff that- why bother? And they're all busy ladies.- One of them lives across the country!

I think this "bare minimum" &  "you can't tell an adult what to do" attitue is pretty rampant around here and it stinks. 

I've been a bridesmaid three times - - sometimes it's a pain in the bum, and a financial strain, but most of the time it's really amazing to share the experience with the bride. I cried like a baby after my best friend's wedding. I am busy, self-supporting and not doing amazing financially, but I made it work for the weddings I was in. I would never dream of saying yes, just buying a dress and being a total Bitch to the bride.

I believe that if you're in a wedding, be -in- a wedding. Enjoy it. It's a beautiful thing - two people are in love and celebrating it.... if your ladies can't be bothered to be involved then why are they in the wedding?

:-) I'm not a bitch, I'm really nice I promise - just putting in my two cents on what I've seen from lurking on this little board.
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridal-party-mia-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:bc5b4a56-4c5f-4ddc-97f9-260440e008bdPost:769f8aed-a623-449b-82e4-5a69eb56eb0e">Re: Bridal Party MIA! Vent...</a>:
    [QUOTE]So, here's what I don't get about all this "they're not required to help you" snippy little posts. First of all, rawwwwwwwwwwr, people certainly love passing judgement on the internet. I guess I do too though, because here I go! I think every Bride is going to have a different dynamic with their Bridesmaids. Usually they are carefully selected and good friends. I don't know what kind of friends other people have, or how strained the relationship is, but I know for a fact none of my girls would say yes to being in my wedding and then not do a thing wedding related with me untill the big day. Eff that- why bother? And they're all busy ladies.- One of them lives across the country! I think this "bare minimum" &  "you can't tell an adult what to do" attitue is pretty rampant around here and it stinks.  I've been a bridesmaid three times - - sometimes it's a pain in the bum, and a financial strain, but most of the time it's really amazing to share the experience with the bride. I cried like a baby after my best friend's wedding. I am busy, self-supporting and not doing amazing financially, but I made it work for the weddings I was in. I would never dream of saying yes, just buying a dress and being a total Bitch to the bride. I believe that if you're in a wedding, be -in- a wedding. Enjoy it. It's a beautiful thing - two people are in love and celebrating it.... if your ladies can't be bothered to be involved then why are they in the wedding? :-) I'm not a bitch, I'm really nice I promise - just putting in my two cents on what I've seen from lurking on this little board.
    Posted by Dani191719[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for adding your two cents to a thread that was 3 days old.  Good job.
  • smfoster23smfoster23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @ Dani....you frickin rock...thanks!
    Live long, laugh often, love much. Wedding Countdown Ticker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_moms-maids_bridal-party-mia-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:357Discussion:bc5b4a56-4c5f-4ddc-97f9-260440e008bdPost:c257d551-25b8-4147-9596-17871c732f0c">Re: Bridal Party MIA! Vent...</a>:
    [QUOTE]@ Dani....you frickin rock...thanks!
    So, you are taking the advice of the ONE person who validated you?  What about the other 99% of posters who said you needed to readjust your expectations?
  • edited December 2011
    So Im posting 2 days after the last post but I dont care!! LOL
    I %100 agree with Dani's comments.

I have been a BM many many times, and the "buy the dress and show up" crap on this site is laughable.

Flame away! :) I really dont care..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards