Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cake flavors?

Hi everyone,

My MOH is a professional baker and is making my wedding cake- so I'm super excited!

The problem is, I am not a huge cake person and neither is my FI, so we have no idea what kinds of cake combos and flavors are out there. I asked her what she thought and she said she could do almost anything... but that didn't help me much with ideas. 

What are some cake flavors / fillings that you guys have had that were really good or that you would suggest? All I know is that I am not a huge fan of chocolate (only in small doses) and I would like something more interesting than vanilla or marble cake. 

Are there fruit flavors? What about coffee? What goes good together? Any suggestions for ideas would be great- my friend wants me to come up with some ideas for a tasting. :) Thanks in advance!!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Cake flavors?

• Options
    We are having strawberry with a key lime mousse filling, red velvet with cream cheese mousse, carrot with cream cheese mousse and then plain white for those who don't like interesting flavors. Fruit flavors are great if they use real fruit!
    Photobucket photo 899306-2148.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    We are doing white cake with chocolate mousse.  We tasted it and it was heavenly and figured most people would enjoy it!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    We are having a red velvet and carrot cake (my fiance' loves red velvet, I love carrot, so we got our favorite flavors)

My cousin had a choclate and red velvet cake. (red velvet is kind of the classic wedding cake flavor)

I wouldn't worry about what goes good together. Most people just have one slice of cake. 
  • Options
    Since you're planning a fall wedding (if your ticker is accurate), you could do one tier in a seasonal flavor -- apple, pumpkin or maple spice.
  • Options
    I was just at a wedding that had a choice of red velvet or traditional white.

The white cake was the most in demand! It may initially seem "boring" but a lot of people love it.

This particular white cake had raspberry filling and it was super tasty.
  • Options
    I prefer simple and traditional flavors when eating cake, but I am just boring when it comes to food.

I would definitely have a layer that is more traditional (white cake white icing) for boring people like myself and then have the other layers a bit more unique...like the fall flavors suggested above

• Options

We had yellow cake (our bakery told us this is richer due to the yolks being used) with Passion Fruit Mousse. Everyone loved it, but that's a really rare combo.

I personally love lemon cake with either blueberry or raspberry fillings, they go together really well and have a nice fruity/crisp flavor.

I also agree, if you are having your wedding in the fall, heavier flavors will be good.

Almost any flavor can be turned into a mousse filling.......mocha, chocolate, any fruit. These are in my opinion better than the pure fruit flavors you might have that are similar to a jam.

You don't say whether you are having multiple different layers, or simply one flavor for all. You can't go wrong with yellow cake and a simple vanilla or rich buttercream filling. Everything I mentioned above would be more avante garde, for foodie types.

• Options
    Mine is almond with raspberry filling and red velvet, both with cream cheese icing. FI's grooms cake is peanut butter with peanut butter icing.
  • Options
    I really dislike fruit flavors inside of a cake, but as I can see I'm in the minority here.  We had chocolate cupcakes with a coconut creme frosting.  
  • Options
    We had chocolate cake with strawberry ganache and champagne cake with raspberry ganache.   We used a professional baker so I do not know how she did the champagne cake.  We considered a lemon cake filled with fresh blueberries and whipped cream.  Since our wedding was in the fall, fresh blueberries were not avaialable so we decided against that one.  

• Options
    We just did our cake tasting and had a bunch of different flavors to choose from.  Here's what we're going with:
    Main wedding cake (3 tier) - lemon cake with raspberry mousse filling and buttercream frosting (may sound different or odd, but it tasted amazing)
    Sheet cakes (3)
    German chocolate
    white with bailey's mousse and whipped topping
    pink champagne with whipped filling and topping (again, another odd selection, but delicious when we tasted it)
  • Options

My cake lady has 50 different flavors to choose from so tere is about a million different combos out there to choose from. Blackberry Chai is something different that tastes amazing

• Options
    In Response to Re:Cake flavors?:[QUOTE]We had yellow cake our bakery told us this is richer due to the yolks being used with Passion Fruit Mousse. Everyone loved it, but that's a really rare combo.I personally love lemon cake with either blueberry or raspberry fillings, they go together really well and have a nice fruity/crisp flavor. I also agree, if you are having your wedding in the fall, heavier flavors will be good. Almost any flavor can be turned into a mousse filling.......mocha, chocolate, any fruit. These are in my opinion better than the pure fruit flavors you might have that are similar to a jam. You don't say whether you are having multiple different layers, or simply one flavor for all. You can't go wrong with yellow cake and a simple vanilla or rich buttercream filling. Everything I mentioned above would be more avante garde, for foodie types. Posted by SuenKevin[/QUOTE]

We had yellow with passion fruit mousse too!! We wanted classic yellow since it was a wedding cake and wanted the novelty to be the filling. I was afraid not to do chocolate but we had a Viennese table for those who preferred something different. Get what you like, maybe ask your friend if you can try some classic flavors and what is trendy right now. Good luck!
  • Options

I would go also with the plain but delicious vanilla cake. Everybody loves it so everybody will eat it. I may do something a bit adventurous with the filling, like a mouse or garnage. That was people can still eat the cake and just leave the filling out if they don’t love it.

I been in weddings where they have unique and different wedding cake combinations and you can just see all the cakes going to wasteSurprised

• Options
    Im late to the party, but I'll post anyway. Im a huge fan of anything chocolate orange so we're doing a chocolate almond cake with orange curd filling. I may do a different layer just on the bottom of vanilla with lemon filling.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards