Christian Weddings
Options

Colossians 3:12-14

Hey ladies,

I'm considering putting this Bible passage on our wedding programs.  I'm looking for something besides the 1 Corinthians 13 passage... well, because we kind of feel like it's been used in almost every wedding we've attended the last 5 years... Although I know that sounds selfish.  I'll have to rethink using that vs. this one, but anyway... I came across this passage and wanted to know your thoughts.  Are there others you think might have some of these same ideas (unity, together, love, etc)? 

Colossians 3:12-14
Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.  Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone.  Forgive as the Lord forgave you.  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!

Re: Colossians 3:12-14

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I should add... Here are the last 3 verses from the section.  Should we include ALL of this (3:12-17), or cut it at 14 where I originally cut it?  Ideas, thoughts? 

Colossians 3:15-17
    15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
  • Options
    fpaemp2011fpaemp2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We used Ephesians 4:1-6, which has a similar theme about unity

I, then, a prisoner for the Lord,
    urge you to live in a manner worthy of the call you have received,
    with all humility and gentleness,
    with patience, bearing with one another through love,
    striving to preserve the unity of the spirit through the bond of peace:
    One body and one Spirit,
    As you were also called to the one hope of your call;
    One Lord, one faith, one baptism;
    One God and Father of all,
    Who is over all and through all and in all.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's a lovely passage. The only thing I have to say is that I try to avoid taking things out of context, so I don't usually like Biblical quotes that start with "therefore," but that's me being really persnickety.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah, yes, I know about the therefore issue... my pastor talks about it all the time!! :-)  He says "you see a therefore in your passage, what is it THERE for?" and makes us find out.  Might have to remember that... 

Thanks for the feedback!  More is certainly appreciated.  Gotta run to choir practice!! :-) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like it! If you just wanted to include a small part of it due to space issues on the program, I would do this:  And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. 

Or this: And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

But, if you have enough room to include it all, go for it! It's good. I also like 1 John 4:10 (it is short though and you might be looking for something longer)

PS I couldn't figure out how to get the font that I copied from your post to go away, haha! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL, I couldn't figure out how to make the font all one type either, that's why it looks so wonky!! :-)

I'll have to run it by the FI and see what he thinks as well.  He's OOT on business and I tend to get the most "planning" done when he is OOT, so you girls are a wonderful sounding board!!  Thanks for all the input.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that its an awesome and thoughtful passage to use and I say go for it. But I would leave out verses 15-17, as they make it run on a little longer than some people's attention spans, and ending it on how everything is tied up in love is a really perfect stopping point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love the whole passage of Colossians 3:12-19, but my FI and I are also trying to highlight the ideas in vs. 18-19 so that might be why. I think it is such a beauitful culmination though, after you have said all these wonderful, sacrificial ways to live with one another and you end with how it relates to marriage. But, I know people on the board have varying perspectives, just adding my own two cents =). Great passage choice, I think I might talk to our pastor about it (was already thinking about it when I read it in "This Momentary Marriage" by John Piper, he uses it in several chapters).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Anna!  We're not meeting with the pastor for a few more weeks so we still have some time, but I wanted to have all my ideas down so we can rip right through that stuff and focus more on the pre-marital counseling part of our meetings!! :-) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We felt the exact same wasy.  Don't feel bad about it- trust me, our pastor said he was thankful we didn't do it, because he said he is running out of things to relate back to it in the sermon!

Anyway, here are the passages we used.  Our pastor was really happy we chose "different" passages for the wedding, and he thought it got the point across fantastically.

Galatians 5:22-23
    Psalm 100
    John 15:9-12

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I love that Ecclesiastes passage too... lots to consider!! Thanks!!! :-) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards