Pennsylvania-Philadelphia

your dress

I've been having a hard time with gown shopping.  If you live close to Philadelphia, where did you/where do you plan to buy your gown? I posted something similar a few months ago but all of the recs were pretty far from me.  I'm looking for a place either in Philadelphia, Chester County or even Wilmington will do if they have  reasonable prices.  I need some suggestions. TIA!
Photobucket

Re: your dress

• edited December 2011
    I am getting my gown from David's Bridal on the Blvd. They have my price range and I fell in love with a couple of gowns online.
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked in south Philly? They have some really good shops down there also...
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    What's your price range?

I HIGHLY recommend you visit Brides and Grooms in Newark, DE.  They are really popular on the DE board (I would say 95% of brides there at least visit, and most end up buying from there).  I believe BP also got her BM dresses there, and was happy too.

They were so awesome to deal with.  I cannot say how happy we were there- I am a plus size bride, and we went on a Saturday (don't recommend that, it's so busy- go on another night), so there were lots of people around.  I was very self concisous about going out in dresses that didn't even zip up, but Faith (LOVE her!) was so supportive, telling me that I am beautiful, my FI thinks I am pretty, and that's all that matters; she made me feel so much better about myself.

Then, when we went to get my dress, they only carried in the store a few samples of Alfred Angelo dresses, so we decided to head to the AA store in Lancaster (I recommend you go there to try on dresses, as they have all dresses in all sizes).  I found my dress, and they told me that it was originally $800, but they were having a sale and it was $650.  My mom went out to the car and called Brides and Grooms, and they could get it for $520!  Another price story:  My best friend from HS is getting married this summer, and I went with her to B&G to get her dress.  She was prepared to spend $1000.  She managed to get her dress for around $700 (a Mori Lee)!

Also, another reason they are so popular is because they price match, including online competitors.  So, when you get your BM dresses, don't pay them yet.  Get the numbers and how much they would charge, and then find the cheapest price online!

Finally, when you get your dress there, your BM automatically get 15% off their dresses.

The store is a hole in a wall, and jam packed full of dresses, but don't judge a book by it's cover.  They carry many different dresses- Mori Lee, Alfred Angelo, Impressions, Da Vinci, Maggie Sotero, Sotero and Midgely, Watters, Casablanca, and many more.  They also carry many different bridesmaid lines- AA, Dessy, Jim Hjelm, Bari Jay, Bill Levkoff, and others.

My two cautions:  like I said, don't go on a Saturday; they are the most popular shop in DE, so it's CROWDED.  Also, get your alterations done elsewhere; they don't have that great of a reputation

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask the DE board, or private message/email (msbriarrose@gmail.com) me with any questions!  They are so worth the drive from Philly, and they are right off of 95!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with MBR what is reasonable?
    I bought mine at POB at a sample sale.  
    They always have some sample gowns, worth a try.

For sure check out The Sample Rack

and Sabrina Ann's

Also try Lizelle, she told me she keeps her gowns $1500 and below.

I'm not sure where you are exactly, but Belle of the Ball in Trooper is fab as well.  My sister and I went there for her prom dress last year and the ladies were great.  They kept track of who bought which dress at each HS so no one bought the same dress, they also made great suggestions for her.  

GL, let us know if you need more help.

• ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Brides and Grooms in Delaware for BM's and the help was lacking a little, but they were all really really nice. They actually had the dress I bought at RK bridal, for 200 bucks cheaper (shh don't tell my mother). They had a lot to chose from, and had I known about the place then, I probably would have gone to check it out for me as well.
  • Stacylynn702Stacylynn702 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry I wasn't specific at first.  I don't really know what "reasonable" is as far as gowns go.  I was hoping to keep it under 1,000.  I don't know if that's impossible other than DB.  I went to Lizelles.  Their bridal gowns weren't too bad but I felt like their BM dresses were pricey.  I was hoping to find a BM dress under $125.  I didn't see anything in there under $150.  I didn't find "my dress" at Lizelles.   I also tried DB in Springfield back in the fall.  I may have to try there again.

I am a petite size (which I've posted before) and that's part of my problem.  No stores in the area carry them to try on.  It's making things difficult for me.
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, I'm in South Philly.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Dress's didn't quite fit me either, although they were a bit small.  And I agree it's difficult to tell what they might look like.  

Try Sabrina Ann's as they have actual gowns, worn and unworn.  So I would think there would be smaller gowns.  

I spent $1000 on my POB sample dress.

Have you considered J Crew, Ann Taylor, and dept. stores for BM dresses, you can get deals when dresses are on sale.  You can also get J Crew and Ann Taylor dresses on Trash to treasure, Wedding Bees, and e bay.  
  • ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I spent 1k on mine, and like i said, it was 850 at brides and grooms (grrr).

The BM dresses were around 130 there, I got Alfred Angelo BM dresses, but as briar said if you get your dress there, it's 15% off... they all got different dresses, all were the same price. Also, no tax there.
  • larmoserlarmoser member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i found a dress i loved in marlton, nj....but it was over  my budget. i went to frank bernard in wilimington, de and even though they didn't have my dress for me to try on again, i ordered it there and got it for a little more than half of what is was in nj. they were sooo friendly there and have a decent amount of dresses there.
    http://www.frankbernardltd.com/
    good luck!
    Photobucket

Lauren & Dave
    wedding website
    Photobucket
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah, I definitely recommend Brides and Grooms- especially because they price match.  All of my girls gowns were around 130, but I have found them online for less than 100, and they honor online pricing.

Sounds like a trip down to Delaware is in order!
  • edited December 2011
    I definitely recommend Sabrina Ann in Ardmore. They were so helpful and the gowns were amazing. I got so much individual attention there and the woman who was helping me was such a pro. I actually ended up getting a dress for under $500 that I love. I tried a bunch of dresses around the $1,000-$1,500 range, but then the woman who was helping me brought me the $500 one. I couldn't believe that she showed me a cheaper dress when I was about to buy one for $1,500, but that's how good they are: they want you to be happy, even at their expense.

I totally sound like I work there, but I swear that I don't. I just had an amazing experience and wanted to share it.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks girls.  Delaware is definitly a destination i expected.  I figure it's worth the tax free shopping!
    Photobucket
  • SunRun11SunRun11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

If you're willing to try South Jersey, I recommend Irma's on Route 70 in Cherry Hill.  She has a lot of inventory and it seemed to me that most dresses were less than $1K.  I recommend making an appointment and bringing lots of pictures to help her understand what you want.  It can get very hectic in there, esp on the weekend!

• Sasha071711Sasha071711 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a hard time as well finding wedding dresses in this area. I ended up just searching online and came across this website www.blowoutbridal.com. I ended up finding what I was looking for and it was only $100.00 They told me too that if there was anything I did not like about the dress I could send it back. I just got it and it needs a couple of alterations but it fits great.
  • dtrost3184dtrost3184 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Country Bride on Street Road in Bensalem. It is an Alfred Angelo dress. It was very affordable most of the dressed i tried on were under $1000.  We also got the BM dresses there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards