Students
Options

Step 2!!

Any hints or tips for step 2?  Both parts?

Re: Step 2!!

• Options
    I used first aid for step 2 CS and CK.  For CK, I also did all of USMLEworld, and took notes in the margins of CK as I went through the questions.  For CS, I just read through first aid.  I guess you could do practice cases with friends, but I don't even know if it's necessary (I didn't, and I passed).  On the day of the exam, just don't forget to do all of the silly things you need to do (like introduce yourself to each patient, call each patient by his/her name, drape the patient, pull the footrest out, ask the patient if he/she has any questions, etc.).  And relax!  I think that tons of people (including me) leave the testing center with a terrible feeling that they failed.  And sooooo few people do.  So no worries, you will do great!
  • Options
    Ditto Melanie - for CS = just read through First Aid, didn't do any practice sessions with friends/family and hadn't been on rotation for ~1 1/2 months and still passed :)

For CK = I did all of USMLE World and Kaplan Qbank (yes, a tad overboard...) with very good results :)  I didn't really use first aid at all for CK; I used select books (First Aid Psych, BRS peds, BRS ob/gyn, Step Up to Medicine) to read sections on questions I got wrong. 
       - I also used a sheet of paper folded in half and wrote things in a Q & A format (Q on one side, A on the other) for things I either got wrong or were just guessing on.  Then went over those sheets of paper at the end of the day and beginning of each day; with backtracking to previous days every 3rd-4th day --- yes ---- I am OCD :)

Best of luck!!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thanks!  I just signed up today for CS - and I have to go to Atlanta - I was so scared, that I now have to buy a plane ticket because I pushed it off so far.
  • Options
    Definitely sign up for those alerts they can send you when a spot in the place you want to take it opens up.  I initially was going to go to Chicago, but within a few weeks, I had a spot in Philly (where I wanted to take it).  I'm not sure how soon your test date is, but if you still have a while, definitely hold off on getting airfare and try to get another date.  Good luck!!
  • Options
    Hi Ladies, I saw that you were discussing boards...any pointers for Step 1?  I'm toying with the thought of either taking this summer completely off or refreshing on anatomy, biochem, physio, etc. My school will be offering a Kaplan review course next year before we all go off to take boards, but it's the first time it will have been offered (one of our professors has been fighting for it for years and it was finally approved).  
    I've talked to current 2nd year students who have all said that they intended to study over summer vacation but never did, and the same for the rest of the year.  They've recently started studying and are finding it difficult to balance current studies and refreshing on 1st year material.  I'm not sure what it's like at your schools, but my profs try to make our exams similar to the USMLE & COMLEX exams - I go to an osteopathic school.  I've purchased a few of the BRS books to help prep for exams, my plan was was to buy some of the ones that I'm lacking and review a little over break.  

Good luck one step 2!! When are you taking it?

• Options
    I took Kaplan Step 1 as well.  I'm not sure how your timing works out - but in my school, classes ended 4/27/09 and we needed to have taken the exam before 7/1/09 in order to begin 3rd year on time.  I started a Kaplan Qbank (about 200 questions a week in March) and the class from early May to about May 30th (I remember having class on Memorial Day, which pissed me off) - I set for the Exam on June 17th.  I second Melanie and her First Aid rec.  BRS is great for subject review, but in the days prior to the exam, it was too dense. 

Mel - do you know what site has the "open spot" thing - I'm scheduled for late Sept in Atlanta - and being that my school is in Philly, I'd love to switch and save the 200 bucks in airfare. 
  • Options
    USMLEWorld Questions--do them twice! seriously.  I also used Step Up to Medicine, and First Aid.  Good luck
  • Options
    I used step up for my medicine rotation and loved it - think I'm going to purchase World this week.  My school has also purchased a qbank (uwise) for obgyn (current rotation) so i'm working through those now.
  • Options
    I didn't use the Kaplan classes for either Steps - just did their question bank + UWorld's question bank and of course First Aid for Step 1 -- didn't find the FA for Step 2 particularly helpful. If you can get your ands on the Goljan lectures for Step 1 that is also pretty key; they are VERY helpful in my opinion.

I totally agree with PP that your summer b/w 1st & 2nd year is one that you should be having fun during & not focusing on studying b/c I don't think you would gain much from it and would be missing out on your last "real" summer.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I agree with PP that you should not study over the summer.  Will most likely forget a bunch of stuff and will have to study everything over again before the exam.
  • Options
    SteveandKris- I took CS in Philly, so spots definitely eventually opened up there.  I initially registered for it in March for an October test date (and was forced to register for a spot in Chicago), but signed up for the alerts for a spot in Philly in October, and was able to switch to the date/location I wanted by the middle of April.  So it happened pretty quickly.  They notify you via email and the spots fill up pretty quickly, so just be sure to be an email checking fiend until you're able to get what you want.  Good luck!  I hope it works out for you.

I also loved Step Up for medicine!  What a great resource.
  • Options
    Thanks Mel!

I second the Goljan lectures!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards