January 2012 Weddings
Options

Stand Up for Yourself (NWR) Long

First before I say anything else I want to thank everyone on this board for being so kind, understanding, and supportive. We are all going through so much right now with finding "real jobs" or even new jobs, any job, in the city or state where our soon to be spouse now resides. We are all in the final month of planning the most AMAZING day in our lives and to top it ALL off it is right in the middle of the holiday season.

I had a touchbase with my store manager yesterday. We went over my Perfomance Improvement Plan. We also talked about why I am not being scheduled more than 32 hours a week. My SM told me it is because she always has to have someone finish the work I don't get done or have someone finish the work I do.

I told my FI about the conversation I had with my Store Manager and he told me to email our District Manager about the conversation.

I told my DM in the email that I am not the only one making mistakes and we all need to be helf accountable for them. I told her how my SM doesn't make the schedule properly and sometimes doesn't even have someone scheduled to open the store. She tells us not to tak lunches at times etc.

My FI read the email when I got home and was so proud of me. The thing is now I am worried about retaliation if my store manger reads it or the dm talks to her about things in the email I sent. There is a good chance I may be fired from my job or laid off before the New Year. What do I do???? Advice.... Words of Wisdom.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFetus Ticker BabyName Ticker

Re: Stand Up for Yourself (NWR) Long

• Options
    Is it possible that you could schedule an in-person meeting with the DM to discuss not only the concerns in your email but also your concerns about potential retaliation?  If there is other problems where you work, I'm sure the DM wants to see those taken care of as well as retain a loyal employee.
  • Options
    I am pretty sure she is coming next week. She is coming to talk about the progess on the Performance Improvement Plan they put me on almost a month ago and possibly issue me a written/final warning. Apparently the plan they put me on was my verbal. The job is just so stressful anymore.... I really wish this weren't happening with the wedding so close. My FI says they won't fire me so close to the wedding. Also they won't fire me because of them having to pay unemployment. They will just make work miserable for me until I quit. I'm searching for jobs, but the market is rough.
  • Options
    I'm proud of you for standing up for yourself. I will still be praying for you that you'll have peace and continue to work through this stressful situation. Also, have you peaked at your handbook? Is there a policy about the open door policy or chain of command. I know when I worked in retail there were policies about going above your SM to DM and being able to speak openly without fear of retaliation, but as Mark said is it possible for you email her back and let her know you want to speak openly but you are concerned about retaliation.
  • Options
    There is an open door policy. The problem I have with these is I always tend to wait way to long to tell anyone I am being treated unfairly. I will put up with their meaness etc. and in the proccess my work productivity goes down. This is what happened. So my Store Manager has been talking to my District Manager about my poor job performance for 2 months now. I so hate this situation. I've done it once before, but believe it or not it was worse than this.
  • Options
    Good job on standing up for yourself. My advice is to look for other work. Hopefully you will get the job at the daycare. Any word on that yet?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No. I'm going to call them on my way in to work today. I called the other day and they took a message but didn't call back. The local YMCA is hiring part time pre school teachers so I am going to look into that after my short work day. 9-1. So thankful for that!
  • Options
    Hang in there Megan!

When putting my HR hat on I want to tell you that your boss cannot retaliate against you for going to her boss to report an issue. However because they already put you on a PIP retaliation may be hard to prove.

My suggestion is to do your best to go above and beyond the expectation placed on you. If you do that it will make it that much harder for them to let you go. You're right though, they most likely wont fire you because they do not want to have to pay unemployment.

All I can say is just hang in there, hopefully it will get better for you! I will keep you in my thoughts and hope that a new job comes your way!
    Wedding Items for Sale!! http://wedding12712.weebly.com/ Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    Great job standing up for yourself!

I pray that you find peace with work. Remember when it rains it pours, but you have to hit rock bottom first before you can go back up.
  • Options
    Meg- I need your email to send you the timeline. I sent you a PM.
  • Options
    I think you should've addressed your problems with your manager first. Trying to do everything possible to resolve it before going over his/her head. You could be black balled for doing this; I don't have any other advice for you. Hope everything works out for you!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddingchannel.com/main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_stand-up-yourself-nwr-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:3ddc6f19-06aa-470d-ab0e-ebf653d39c2bPost:0164d035-5234-4e24-9ab1-33cb449616de">Re: Stand Up for Yourself (NWR) Long</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stand Up for Yourself (NWR) Long : You are right about this. But everything ended up working out in the end. My DM had an hour long Touchbase with me on the phone about everything addressed in the email I sent her. I also apolgized to my Store Manager for not going to her first. I think we are in a good place at least for now. I take things very personally and feel like everyone at work is ganging up on me, especillay since being put on the PIP. My DM told me I need to stop acting like a victim and take ownership of the mistakes I've made etc. She said I need to be selfish and accept humility at the same time. My FI is very proud of me for standing up for myself regardless of everything!!!
    Posted by MeganNN12[/QUOTE]

I'm glad it worked out for you! :)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_stand-up-yourself-nwr-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding Club BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:3ddc6f19-06aa-470d-ab0e-ebf653d39c2bPost:871397bb-cc73-49fb-85c4-2ba7cc1152db">Re: Stand Up for Yourself (NWR) Long</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I think you should've addressed your problems with your manager first. Trying to do everything possible to resolve it before going over his/her head.</strong> You could be black balled for doing this; I don't have any other advice for you. Hope everything works out for you!
    Posted by Rdh2MrsOMFS[/QUOTE]

You are right about this. But everything ended up working out in the end. My DM had an hour long Touchbase with me on the phone about everything addressed in the email I sent her. I also apolgized to my Store Manager for not going to her first. I think we are in a good place at least for now. I take things very personally and feel like everyone at work is ganging up on me, especillay since being put on the PIP. My DM told me I need to stop acting like a victim and take ownership of the mistakes I've made etc. She said I need to be selfish and accept humility at the same time.

My FI is very proud of me for standing up for myself regardless of everything!!!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_january-2012-weddings_stand-up-yourself-nwr-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:5a1804e7-e8c8-4829-9e61-b9d49f3a9b5fDiscussion:3ddc6f19-06aa-470d-ab0e-ebf653d39c2bPost:0164d035-5234-4e24-9ab1-33cb449616de">Re: Stand Up for Yourself (NWR) Long</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Stand Up for Yourself (NWR) Long : You are right about this. But everything ended up working out in the end. My DM had an hour long Touchbase with me on the phone about everything addressed in the email I sent her. I also apolgized to my Store Manager for not going to her first. I think we are in a good place at least for now. I take things very personally and feel like everyone at work is ganging up on me, especillay since being put on the PIP. My DM told me I need to stop acting like a victim and take ownership of the mistakes I've made etc. She said I need to be selfish and accept humility at the same time. My FI is very proud of me for standing up for myself regardless of everything!!!
    Posted by MeganNN12[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I'm so glad to hear that things worked out for you!.. Maybe just chalk this up to a learning experience.  If anything, hopefully this will help you to realize your flaws and be able to fix them!.. Good luck :-)

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards