Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Humorous Vows?

I am a funny person, and my family enjoys humor. Andi (my partner/groom/bride/person) is slightly opposed to using humor in our vows...but humor is who I am. This is what I'm thinking:

I take you as my wife to have and hold, love and cherish, to honor and mostly obey. I promise to make you number one in all of my life's biggest decisions. While I don't promise not to make you mad, I promise to apologize...when I think it's my fault. I want nothing more than a long and happy life together. Do you?

She was irritated when I shared them because of the "mostly obey" part.

I guess my question is: where does humor belong in a wedding? Vows?
"Come what may, I will love you until my dying day"

Re: Humorous Vows?

• I don't think humor belongs in the vows themselves.  

I just don't see the meat and potatoes in these vows.  The mostly obey doesn't belong in there.  Most women refuse to say the obey part anyway.  Where is the part that reflects sticking together through everything whether it is good or bad, rich/poor, sickness/health?  You don't have say that stuff in the traditional way if you don't want to, but that is where you are promising to stick together through the really tough times and be there for each other.  I also don't care for the final line, "do you?"
  • If you're writing your own vows, they should reflect your personality--and if that means you infuse them with some humor, I say go for it! That said, I agree with pp about the "mostly obey" (because it seems forced and frankly uncomfortable) and the "do you" .. presumably that's why you're getting married..'cuz she does. =)
    You can infuse your personality -- including some light heartedness -- with the serious stuff.
    We wrote our whole ceremony and it had some humor because, like you, that's who we both are. But we also tried to keep it balanced. This is sweet and kind of funny without trying too hard: "While I don't promise not to make you mad, I promise to apologize"
    Good luck!

• For me, your wedding is a direct reflection of your personalities.  If you and your FI want to incorporate humor in your vows, I say go for it!  There's no reason why you should have to subscribe to the formal stuff.  I think a good balance of both is the way to go.  My suggestion is to write your vows down on a piece of paper and then fold them up and put them away for about a week.  Then go back and reread them and see how you feel.  Imagine reciting them to your FI on the big day.  Make any changes you feel necessary.

My DH and I are very untraditional people and we wanted to write our own vows.  Everything we researched online didn't suit us.  I get that marriage is a serious commitment but if there was one moment in our lives that we wanted to reflect US, then it was going to be evident throughout our day. We are avid hockey fans (but root for different teams) and surprisingly we both worked that into our vows and it was great.

If you need any help, PM me.  I can send you a sample of our vows if you need something to get the ball rolling.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fiancée and I have been together for a number of years and one thing that attracted us to each other and has helped keep us together is humor. I can't imagine not having humor in our vows because our humor is apart of WHO we are!. I think it depends on the people getting married and that's all it needs to depend on!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards