Maryland-Baltimore
Options

I think I need to calm down!

Okay, so I'm not the most planning oriented person (that's DF's thing) so I am really trying to get ahead on this wedding planning stuff. Our tentative wedding date is in September 2012. I contacted a bunch of reception/ ceremony sites so that we could meet with them when we visit MD (and my family. And his parents will be coming to meet my parents and all that mess) in April. We're currently planning from afar and are hoping the Air Force is kind to us at the end of the year and we get stationed at Ft. Meade. My problem is that at first some of the venues were all up in my email and seemed enthusiastic and now they are super nonresponsive to everything. I wanted to meet with as many places as we could stand but our list stands at a grand total of 4 right now. 

I don't know if we're being much too picky or if it really is that much harder being far away. I'm just frustrated and I don't have as much time to plan things and neither does DF because we both work and travel so much. I guess if we have to make more than one trip to MD to work on planning we will, it's just expensive and stressful. At what point does hiring a wedding planner become the best idea ever? Anyone know any awesome/ badass/ decently priced ones? Someone tell me it gets easier/ better/ more fun after the venue is chosen???? Even if it's a bold-faced lie. :)
Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: I think I need to calm down!

• Options
    iamstephiamsteph member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is easier after you find your venue! (And that's not a lie Wink) I would say that if you are going to be planning a wedding from out of state, a wedding planner might be a good idea. However, when it come to DJ, photographer, flowers, etc., the people on this message board are a great resource, so a wedding planner might not be necessary. I didn't have one, and after initially meeting with the vendors, everything else was done by phone and email. 

Keep in mind that wedding season is starting to gear up, and that a lot of wedding associated people/places take Monday and Tuesday off as a weekend, so if they don't respond right away, it's probably not a big deal. If they don't respond within a week or so, would you really want to go with that venue anyways? 

Where are you planning on looking?! Smile
    Married December 18th, 2010 :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you share with us which venues you're planning to visit? There may be some girls on here getting married at or who have been married at the venues you're looking at. We could recommend some vendors for you based on the venue or location.

Once you pick your venue, everything kind of falls into place. Since you're out of town planning, I would recommend picking a venue who has responsive wedding coordinators on site. I know at our venue, our coordinator has been very on top of things and has made great recommendations for us. We're about two and a half hours from our venue, which isn't nearly as far as you are, but our coordinator really takes a load off of my mind!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yea, we were thinking that if the place we choose has a coordinator/ day of coordinator that would do a lot to ease our minds. Especially if they're responsive. I'm mostly just disappointed that some places have just disappeared and won't talk to me anymore - not that I want to do business with them now, I'm just worried that they've cut down our list too much. We're going to be visiting: The Oaks, Kent Manor, Chesapeake Bay Beach Club, and Brittland Estates. I think the Oaks may be out of reach money-wise for a Saturday wedding for us and Brittland Estates is DF's choice (I'm not really a fan but I'm giving it a chance!). I just am worried that that's not enough places - what if we hate them all, what if they're all too expensive, what if I turn into Bridezilla of the century and wreak havoc Godzilla style?? I don't know what it is about planning a wedding that seems so damned stressful. Maybe the pressure, I don't know, but I feel like the actual getting married will be SO much easier than planning everything! Tongue out

Our budget is $30k and the things I care most about are the food and the photography (and videography if we choose to have that). And my dress. I've tried to expand our search for venues but DF doesn't like the others we've already researched. Maybe he'll be more open if the ones we look at don't pan out. Okay, deep breaths. I'm going to go hug our dog, go work out, and then re-focus so I can get some work done today! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're willing to splurge on photography, my sister was married at Chesapeake Bay Beach Club and her photog was featured in a spread in Baltimore Bride for her photography at the wedding. I'm  using her for my wedding as well at the Ceresville Mansion in October.

You should check her out! Her name is Jaime Windon of Blonde Photo LLC.

Here is her blog:
    www.theblondephotographer.com

And here's my sister's wedding entry from Chesapeake Bay Beach Club:
    http://theblondephotographer.com/2010/06/18/kristi-jon-married/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooh, nice, thanks for the photography recommendation, I'll check her page out. Do you mind if I ask what her price range is like? 

Thanks :) I feel calmer today! I mean, even if we only meet with a couple places eventually we'll figure everything out and the wedding will get planned! I think I just feel prone to mild freak-outs because I want things to be "right" (also because I'm super excited about marrying my DF!). 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My package is $5000 and I believe her most expensive package is like $6500 for wedding coverage, prints, engagement session, etc. I don't know about least expensive. I also know I booked at least year's rate so she may have changed them.

I'm aware that that sounds really outrageous to some ppl, but we absolutely love her and her style! FI and I thought photography was the most important thing to us because it's the one thing that stays with you long after the day. A good photographer can make any wedding a fabulous memory, whereas if we have an awesome wedding but a terrible photographer, photos won't convey that.

She's so bubbly and sweet and you don't even notice she's there when she captures moments at the wedding. I cannot say enough good things about her!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love when people give glowing reviews! I'm sure she'll do a great job on your wedding!! Once we select a venue I think we'll have a better idea of what we'll be able to afford as far as photography but I completely agree with you - the pictures are most important to me too. I think DF mostly agrees, haha. Or he will... ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards