Louisiana-Baton Rouge

Update on my vendor list

Hey ladies!  I know I haven't been active on here for a while - life gets in the way.  But here is my list of vendors:

Cake: Janice Browning - very excited her samples, fillings, and icing were amazing!

Rental Compnay: Tiger Canopy Rentals - Bobby is a great guy, but a little unorganized, so stay on top of him.

Catering: LA Bayou Bistro - couldn't be happier with them so far; very organized and are seasoned pro's at the wedding thing.

Photography: Ron Carr - has done our engagement shoot, and absolutely love his work; although can be a little hard to get ahold of at times.

DJ: Complete music - I have loved working with them so far, very organized and are quick to reply to emails, and you can pay online, which is a great help these days.  Very professional so far.

Flowers/decorating and officiant are both personal friends, so sorry no details there. 

Did I forget anything?

Our big day is less than 3 weeks away, so I will post reviews when it's all said and done!

Re: Update on my vendor list

• edited December 2011
    Yay! Have a great wedding! Thanks for the (p)reviews!
    Anniversary
  • edited December 2011

Would you happen to have a phone number to your DJ? You're the second person to mention them to me! We have a band but my best friend who's getting married in May, her DJ cancelled like two days ago! Now everyone she is calling is booked!!!!

• edited December 2011
    Also, does your baker have a website??
  • edited December 2011
    Irig, I saw the Complete Music booth at the bridal show last weekend. They seem like really great guys. Very upbeat and professional. I think they do video as well.

I didn't need a DJ, but I did notice them. Friendly bunch of guys. :)
    Anniversary
  • billylou84billylou84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My baker does not have a website.  She was a contact through some friends but it is her full time job. 

Janice Browning 225-261-2782.  She runs it out of her house (everything was very clean, so no worries there in my opinion) and is super friendly.  Unfortunately she isn't very tech savy, so her answering machine rarely works - you might have to try calling her a few times.

Complete Music 225-769-2229.  I have nothing but good things to say about my experience SO FAR with this company, and yes, they also do videography if you are interested.  We are not using that service.
  • edited December 2011
    I met one of the guys from Complete Music last year at the bridal show at the River Center. I am definitely considering them for our wedding in October. We only have one other DJ that we are considering and that is because he is a friend of my fiance' but I really liked everything that I heard from Complete Music. They also had a website that I've looked at a few times. I like how you can choose from a few different people, but I have no idea who I would choose lol!
  • edited December 2011
    I have spoken with the guys at Complete Music...SUPER NICE and PROFESSIONAL! Thanks for the reccomendations. My friend booked them last week for her May wedding. Thank GOODNESS they were available on her date :)

Also, the reason I asked about Janice Browning, thats my dads cousin! I didnt think there was more than one Janice Browning in the BR area who did cakes but you neevr know! haha Yeah, she has DELICIOUS cakes! We look forward to Mardi Gras because of her king cakes! lol
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Alright, for the long awaited vendor review:  ...bear with me, it's probably goign to be long

LA Bayou Bistro/Catering: AMAZING!  Presentation was excellent, food was super tasty, staff looked nice.  The only thing that I would say they could have done better was the lady doing the bar tending for us wasn't the nicest.  I had a few guests make some comments to me during the reception.  ...which if they said something to ME about something like that, it must have been somewhat significant.  We had tons of left overs, so make sure you have room in someone's refridgerator when your reception is over. 

Overall grade = A!

Complete Music/DJ:  GREAT!  Our DJ, Chris, did a great job of feeling me out during our conversations before the wedding - they call the week before to talk through everything and try to get a feel for how you want the night to go.  He also did our ceremony music and nailed it.  Everything went off without a hitch.  He did a great job of making announcements when we wanted him to and was very professional throughout the entire event. 

Overall grade = A!

Tiger Canopy Rentals:  So we had some timing issues the week before making sure the grounds were completed (wedding/reception was at a newly constructed home), which was unavoidable with the weather/rain/cold temperatures, etc.  We had to reschedule a few times for set up, which was frustrating for both parties, us and them.  They did a great job of working with us and making sure that everything was goign to be set up before hand.  It all got set up just fine.  Then one of the chandeliers we rented was shorted out and wouldn't work, so they had to bring a new one.  I wish they would have checked before coming with everything else - they guy setting up had to make a special trip out to our location to bring a new chandelier.  The chandeliers were nice enough, but the paint on them were chipped and some of the light bulbs were burnt out.  There were little things like that my FI (now husband) noticed.  Some of the chairs were dirty (not overly dirty, but spots on some of them).  I thought the tents could have been cleaner - good enough, just not emaculately clean.  ....PLEASE NOTE: these little nit-picky things are things that we noticed, not things that our guests necessarily noticed.  Of course we were looking at EVERYTHING with a very critical eye.  After all we paid a good bit of money for these things.  The linens were nicely pressed and clean - no other comments needed there. 

I think my biggest "complaint" with the company is that, in my many conversations with Bobby, the owner, he made it sound like everything was amazing and emaculate and setup/tear down was a seamless process.  There was one guy setting up and tearing down, and it took him several (4-5) hours to complete.  Bobby said there would be a crew and it would get done in about 2 hours.  So I think maybe my expectations were a little off by what he was telling me over the phone.  And on multiple occasions he said he was goign to email me pictures and never did - a pet peve of mine (not following through when you say you are going to do something). 

Overall grade = B-

Janice Browning/Cake:  Cake looked great, tasted even better!  She was great to work with, but maybe a little difficult to reach at times.  We had a stand that we borrowed from her.  It looked nice but was a little shakey for everyone's comfort who was setting it up. 

Overall grade = A-

Ron Carr/Photographer:  LOVED HIM!  We did not have a traditional wedding.  We wanted to have a blast and enjoy ourselves.  Ron fit the bill.  He did not have the best setting/lighting to work with in our location, but he did the best he could with what he was given.  I love his style and our pictures turned out great (currently at the beginning of his intro on aimeezingfaces.com).  The only thing he could have done even better yet was to do more fun shots of me and my bridal party.  (We got married on a water ski lake and the guys got to ttake pics on the boats, but we didn't.)  Our pics were very pretty and cute but not so much fun.  (He didn't want to mess up our hair, but that's what hair spray is for right?!)  Other than that he worked with us through every step of the process and was wililng to do different things with us - we had him take pics of the whole party on the ski boats while he was following our boat in another ski boat, which he had never done before. 

Overall grade = A

M and M Nails:  THis is where we got our nails done - Bluebonnet near Perkins.  They were great.  It was probably the best manicure I've ever had - the paint didn't chip for a few days!  They were great and reasonably priced.  If you call, talk to Steve. 

Overall grade = A

Aimee Carr/Hair:  I know there has been some back lash with Aimee's reviews, so please don't jump down my neck.  I really enjoyed working with her.  She is super sweet and is great about returning phone calls/emails.  She really worked with me and my girls to make sure we got exactly what we wanted.  She even provided chocolate covered strawberries and a bottle of champaign!  She knew we were on a time constraint, and she worked really hard to get all 5 of us done in about 2 hours!  Their new studio in Denham is going to be great. 

Overall grade = A

My flower/decorations, make up, and officient were done by personal friends, so sorry, no tips from me there. 

I hope this helps at least one person, let me know if you have any questions or comments.  Our big day went off wonderfully, but I am glad the planning process is over!

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the post!! I'm using Bayou Bistro for my wedding in May, so your reviews were really helpful!  You mentioned the leftovers...do they let you take whatever's left over?  I want to be prepared so I can make sure my mom knows what to do. We aren't leaving for our honeymoon until 2 days later so I can see myself munching on some leftovers on Sunday. haha Thanks!
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     They leave all the left overs, including stuff from the bar (if you are using that service).  We had so much left over that about half of it had to get thrown away because we couldn't eat it fast enough (spent about 4 days munching on it).  So be prepared!  Enjoy them; we had so many compliments on the food, as I'm sure you will too!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards