Maryland-Baltimore

HELP! I need a venue!!!

I've actually been engaged since last May but since my sister got engaged 15 days after me and decided to marry in December, my plans were put on hold. I've spent the last 4 months looking for a venue to book and have had NO luck. We wanted to do early Nov. 2011, since the rates go down for most places and I'm also totally ok with a Friday or Sunday. The tricky part is we have roughly a 10k budget and that includes EVERYTHING. So for the venue/catering we basically have about 6k to spend. Originally our gust list looked like it was going to be impossible, I've whittled it down to 125 and am willing to cut it down to as small as 100 or even a little less.

So all that being said, I've been unable to find a place in the Baltimore area (even as far out as Bel Air) that I would be willing to drop $ on and not live to regret it. The only place that has come close to meeting our budget was the Overhills Mansion but for some reason I pretty much hated it after the tour. So, any suggestions? I'm running out of time and frankly sanity. :)

Re: HELP! I need a venue!!!

• edited December 2011
    The Other Barn in Columbia, MD. It's $1300 I believe, for 7 hours, no matter what time of year. They provide table and chairs. You are also allowed to use any caterer of your choice, or bring your own food. Same for alcohol. If you want something earlier in the year (assuming you were just worried with price beforehand), you can have the ceremony outside in the garden.

Good luck!

ETA: I think it can hold up to 200.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ashlidieashlidie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im actually going to look at Howard county conservancy tomorrow, just outside ellicott city.  $1800 with tables and chairs for 100 (can rent more as necessary), they allow any caterer and alcohol (as long as they are licensed caterer and the alcohol distributer is also).  Look at Leiters fine catering, they have prices online which seem VERY affordable.  They are willing to supply a licensed bartender too if you want to buy your own alcohol (much cheaper)  The space can accommodate 130 comfortably, and I think the room is pretty from the pictures, the lighting on the walls makes it very bright, perfect for our April/May wedding.

I will try to remember to get on here after I visit tomorrow with my impression.  BUT you and I share the same wedding budget, and right now it looks like we are about $100 over, which isn't bad.
    June 2013 - Shoe Inspiration
    imageimage
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Check out Kahler Hall in Columbia and Ten Oaks Ballroom in Clarksville.  They're both affordable and you can bring in any caterer (I believe).

Or The Great Room at Savage Mill.  As far as caterers go, look at Zeffert and Gold - they're fabulous.
  • LoveKissLoveKiss member
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We just rented a small space at Boordy Vineyards this past Sunday, and found out that you can rent the tasting room for $800 for 4 hours. The tasting room had a lovely rustic feel to it, and would make for a great wedding space. Plus the grounds of Boordy are very bucolic.

If I remember correctly from my early searching, Liriodendron was also pretty affordable on their rental fees.  I had lovely visions of a wedding brunch there before we decided that we wanted something smaller in scale for our wedding. And FYI, brunch seemed to be a much more affordable meal to feed everyone.

Mt. Hebron House in Ellicott City was also pretty affordable on their rates, and you can use a caterer of your choice.
  • edited December 2011
    I am having my ceremony and reception at the Kahler Hall. Kathy was great when I booked my event and I can have it for 6 hours. They also set the table and chairs up for you. I can also get there as early as 8am to decorate and set up the ballroom. They charge 1000 for the six hours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • actomaiactomai member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll check out the winery but since we are trying for November the weather is tricky so any space that is more outdoor than in will be tough. We did go see the Liriodendron Mansion last weekend and even with the cheapest caterer it would be $8,000 which is over our budget.
  • actomaiactomai member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We haven't ventured as far as Columbia but definitely need to check that out! Thanks you!!

P.S. I am jealous that you are eloping! :)
  • pjsparkle03pjsparkle03 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Overhills mansion in Catonsville is reasonable
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards