Indiana

Barn venue within 30 miles of Lafayette

Does anyone have suggestions on a rustic barn that could be used for a reception in the Lafayette area? We are expecting roughly 200 people. We're looking at Prophetstown, but they're pretty expensive, and we would have to rent a tent for the extra people. I saw some great places (the Orchard) in the northern part of IN, but they're too far away. I was hoping to find something similar closer to here.

There's a family rumor that there was a barn by Flora that was used for a wedding, but nobody can come up with a name.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

Re: Barn venue within 30 miles of Lafayette

• mrsalbeemrsalbee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been searching for one as well! The only one I found was the one you mentioned. I looked into the barn at Connor Prairie, but they have alot of restrictions and I didn't like that about it. I wish I could have it at the Orchard, too! I havent heard of any over by Flora, I will ask around my family to see if they know anything. My father and Grandpa used to work in Flora! I can send you a message if I find anything out! Good luck:-)
    "I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you." imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • amylynn121amylynn121 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could check the lake county fair grounds in Crown Point, but thats still a bit of a drive. Other then that I dont know....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ya, Crown Point is too far away, unfortunately.

Thanks for the snooping, Mrsalbee. Let me know if you find anything out!

• Birdie1483Birdie1483 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Purdue sororities and fraternaties do barn dances every year. Maybe you could contact the presidents or house moms and ask where they book their dances? I remember one we went to was outside of Attica.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks, Birdie! That's a great idea! I'll try them.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know if this will help, but you could look into U-Pick orchards or pumpkin patchs. Sometimes they have barns that host other activities.

I would suggest contacting Exploration Acres to start. They are only 5 miles south of Lafayette. If nothing else, they may be able to point you in the right direction as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion of Exploration Acres. I had never heard of them before. I sent them an email.

For others looking for barns, I'm trying to track down information on a barn on the Fossnock Farm somewhere down by Frankfort, and the barn in Flora is Pat's Country Barn. Once I get some info on these barns I'll post the information.

It seems like finding a barn venue is like pulling teeth around here. You'd think these people would advertise!

Thanks for all the help!
    edited December 2011
    I know this is like a needle in a haystack, but I remember specifically going to a big barn near Attica, IN for one of our dances. We took the exit on 65 that has the BP gas station and like NOTHING ELSE. It was in that area.

I remember it because I drove all of the way there to get our cooler the next day without directions thinking I would recognize the grain mill near it, only to realize apparently everyone has grain mills in that area. I had to drive all of the way back to Lafayette to get directions!

• edited December 2011
    Well, this one south of Lafayette is sounding pretty good so far. I'm going to schedule a time for us to go out and see it, but the owner said that they'd held dances out there with probably 400 people, so it must be a pretty big barn! She said it's all open, with a concrete floor, and the loft has been turned into the DJ area. She said it's very rustic. She said they also have plenty of parking.

I hope to go see it in the next weekend or two. I'll report back when I do, for those who are looking for barns.
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome! From what I remember, most of the barn owners are pretty nice people. They'd have to be pretty nice and patient to deal with 400 drunk college kids. :)
  • edited December 2011
    Have you looked into The Trails in West Lafayette? My friend just had a wedding out there last weekend and she was expecting 150, so I know it can hold a lot. Its a beautiful place. My fiance didnt like it because the outside looks like a barn but thats what your looking for! :) Its all wood on the inside and its like i said just beautiful! Nicely decorated, good food, and has the rustic touches like a stone fireplace and wooden beams. And I dont believe they are too expensive. Just a thought for you...good luck on your search!!
  • edited December 2011
    Pat's Country Barn is pretty nice...rustic, but more formal than say a barn with a hay loft...It would be a good location for your caterers, DJ, and easy acess to restrooms. If you're looking for something more "barn-y" I'd say call around to the farmers...I live and work in Burlington which is a few miles further than Flora from Lafayette, but I'll ask around!
  • edited December 2011

My sorority held our formal at Pat's Country Barn...and we LOVED it.  It's an older couple that own it and they are SO sweet!  Also, they have decorated the barn with old farm advertisements and old local business signs...very cute!  Another plus is that the food is FANTASTIC! 

• edited December 2011
    Ok, I went and looked at the Fossnock Farm barn and Exploration Acres. The Fossnocks were a very nice couple, but their barn isn't what we're looking for. It's more of a machine shop. ;-) I can see that it would be fine for barn dances, but it's not nice enough for a wedding. There's only plywood on the walls and the concrete is stained with oil. And I don't know how they fit 400 people in there!

Exploration Acres, however, was totally different. I was really excited about their barn. I talked with Tim, one of the owners. He said they haven't done a wedding or reception yet, but they wanted to get into doing it. He's done a great job of fixing the barn and all the other buildings on the farm. The barn itself is the classic red barn with an open, timber frame interior. They even have a nice wooded area that would be great for the ceremony! And Tim was really accomodating and very nice. Of course, we still have to come up with a price, but I think he will be reasonable. He says the barn should hold around 150 people seated at tables. So I'm hoping to work out a deal with them and have the ceremony and reception there. I would definitely recommend them!
  • mrsalbeemrsalbee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Prophetstown State Park! I am having my ceremony on the front steps of a replica of a 1918 farmhouse!! It is located on an actual working farm! There is a barn, it comes with all the fixin's like, pigs, cows, horses,chickens, cats...etc. The owner is verrry nice and accomodating. This is a small venue and I am only have about 30-35 people inside the farmhouse for the reception afterwards. It will be in Novemeber, so it will more than likely be cold.

Theyhave a barn there, but I dont think that it can be used for a sit down dinner. The animals uhh LIVE in there...stinky haha
    "I love you not only for what you are, but for what I am when I am with you." imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ya, I'd looked into Prophetstown, and was really interested in it, but since we're looking at having around 100 people, their barn just wasn't going to be big enough. I'd have to do a tent alongside it. The lady that I talked to on the phone there did seem very nice. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Girls....I'm new to the board, but have been running into the same problem!! So, me being a geeky website person, I just started collecting any and every barn in Indiana that I could find. Maybe it will continue to grow and turn into something really cool, maybe not. But here is what I have listed so far! Hope it helps!!

• edited December 2011

NancyC 1970 
    Where is Exploration Acres located?  What city?  I am interested to see how everything works out for you.  Please keep us informed.  Good Luck!

Let the Lord Lead... and follow Him.
  • edited December 2011
    Exploration Acres is about 15 minutes south of Lafayette. Here is their website:

http://www.explorationacres.com/

• edited December 2011
    NancyC. . . Any update on the location yet? I am interested in hearing how everything works out? I didn't realize when I suggested Exploration Acres that they hadn't done weddings before. Sorry, but I'm glad they are interested in accomodating you!

Anxiously waiting to see how things work out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Hi AbHostetler,

I was just going to do an update. ;-) They came back with what I think was a really reasonable price. We get to use the barn for the reception (which includes tables and chairs), their country store building for a changing room for the bridal party, and their wooded campgrounds for the ceremony. They will have people there to set up everything (including hay bales for people to sit on during the ceremony). Since it's their off-season (they're usually closed in June), we get the whole place to ourselves, and we have access to the buildings the day before and after for decorating and cleanup. I don't know if it's kosher to post the price or not, but it was quite a bit less than Prophetstown quoted us, for a lot more building use and labor. The only thing it didn't include is portable restrooms, which I'm going to get through Midwest Rentals.

So I'm really happy with how it turned out. Tim was really accomodating.

Thanks for the suggestion!
  • edited December 2011
    I'm so happy to hear! It sounds like it is going to be wonderful! Thanks for sharing the update.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • hakeefer1hakeefer1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm most likely doing exploration acres as well, but came across wea creek orchards which actually has two barns.  I'm going to look next week then make my final decision.  A really great thing about EA is that Tim will let us have a bonfire which we want in order to make smores.  He's been so helpful, as well as his sister who is the co-owner.  
  • Does anyone know the capacity of the barn at Exploration Acres? I've tried calling and emailing but I haven't gotten a response yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards