Getting in Shape
Options

Starting C25K Help Please!

Put a lot of thought into it and I decided I want to try the C25K program. Downloaded the iPhone app and everything! I have never been a running and I'm a little scard to start. I'm doing it for two reason, I want to lose that extra 20lbs and I want to be in shape again. Anyone have any suggestions on the program and what I should or should not do?

Re: Starting C25K Help Please!

• Options
    Get your gait analyzed at a running store and get the propper shoes first.

Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate.

Music helps a lot when you start running.

We're getting to the warmer months, run in the first hours of the morning or at sunset to help avoid the heat of the day (I run before the sun comes up in the summer).

Again this is the hot season, the sun is bearing, SUNSCREAN!
    DIStickers.com Ticker
  • Options
    Along with dew's comments, make sure to really read the program intro.  If you're not acclimated to running, you need to start SLOW.  Don't start the program at your max or even your ideal running pace, instead, focus on completing the program once through using a slow running pace.  You can re-do the program at a higher pace once you get comfortable and if/when you want to work on speed.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Don't get frustrated if you need to repeat a week.  It's a general program that isn't ideal for every person.  There are a couple of big jumps that give a lot of people problems.  Either redo the previous week, or create your own intermediate week.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    jjswinjjswin member
    First Comment
    Thanks for all the advice. I finished the first workout last night and I think I did well. Hoping to keep pushing along.
  • Options
    I highly suggest running for distance instead of time. A lot of people who run for time get to the end and haven't run a 5K.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_starting-c25k-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:95cd5867-6ebb-4899-b61e-60b0824722b5Post:e5f8561c-c6fd-417a-9c16-39bc76983876">Re: Starting C25K Help Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I highly suggest running for distance instead of time. A lot of people who run for time get to the end and haven't run a 5K.
    Posted by kristinanddan[/QUOTE]

While I know what you're saying - I think it depends on the person. For me, when I did C25K I ran for time so that I could increase my endurance, but I was very out of shape. When I did week one for the first time, I couldn't do all of the running segments (only 6 out of 8 I think). By the time I finished the program, I could run for 30 minutes straight. I definitely was not running 5K though in that 30 minutes; so I suppose if someone is training to actually complete the 5K, then yes run for distance, but if you're just doing the program so you can learn how to run, I think running for time is okay too. I think it all depends on your fitness level and your goals :)

I now have spent time working on running for distance. I don't go fast, but I can run 5K, it just doesn't take 30 minutes. Closer to 42. Which I am okay with for now, one day I'll be 30 minutes.. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Drink lots of water.  I mean you should always be drinking a lot.  But, you should really get a bit of extra in within an hour of starting your run.

Breathe.  Seriously, if you don't breathe properly you will get cramps.  And they suck.  Take in deep even breaths.  Some people do 2 short ones in a row and then one big exhale.  I personally like to take in a deep breath.  Whatever works, just make sure you are taking in plenty of oxygen.

Journal your foods on running days.  Everyone needs different things and burn different foods differently.  Pay attention to how much water and what foods you're eating the days you run and then keep track of how you felt. 

Have fun.  And if you want to give up, which is easy to do, set yourself landmarks.  So, if you're running down the street in your neighbourhood and you want to quit, make youself go to that lightpost.  And then once you hit it, tell yourself you'll go til that mail box, and then the stop sign, and so on.  It's easier to set small goals. 

Don't give up.  Keep at it, it's amazing at how quickly your body learns to run.  Amazing.  Absolutely amazing.  And if you fall off track for a week or two, don't be scared to start back up, because your body remembers.  Your first run out won't be as easy as it was 2 weeks ago, but it won't be like starting from scratch.

"It's shart week." -georgiabride
    "This post is seriously retarded." -Stackeye210
    Miss
    Mrs & ZOMG we built a howse!
    being healthy. blog.
  • Options

What I have learned when I started my running program was whey protein is a key to keeping the muscles from fatiging and major injury. I am doing and following the advice of the Unicus Fitness wedding boot camp nutrition you can go to their site it will explain it to you

Happy Running . . . .

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_starting-c25k-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:95cd5867-6ebb-4899-b61e-60b0824722b5Post:b9a4b81c-d382-47bc-8e55-5126a10a206c">Re: Starting C25K Help Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What I have learned when I started my running program was whey protein is a key to keeping the muscles from fatiging and major injury. I am doing and following the advice of the Unicus Fitness wedding boot camp nutrition you can go to their site it will explain it to you Happy Running . . . .
    Posted by LORIITRICH[/QUOTE]

This site isnt for your advertising....I just reported you after noticing all 3 of your posts were promoting whatever garbage company you are associated with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_starting-c25k-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:238Discussion:95cd5867-6ebb-4899-b61e-60b0824722b5Post:e97f5ffa-3362-4293-99a9-68e4e204b15a">Starting C25K Help Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Put a lot of thought into it and I decided I want to try the C25K program. Downloaded the iPhone app and everything! I have never been a running and I'm a little scard to start. I'm doing it for two reason, I want to lose that extra 20lbs and I want to be in shape again. Anyone have any suggestions on the program and what I should or should not do?
    Posted by jjswin[/QUOTE]

Same here...I have downloaded it and will start on Monday. Good luck to us both!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_getting-shape_starting-c25k-help-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:238Discussion:95cd5867-6ebb-4899-b61e-60b0824722b5Post:21445d79-532c-40f0-b62c-7f6ee9e8e021">Re: Starting C25K Help Please!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for all the advice. I finished the first workout last night and I think I did well. Hoping to keep pushing along.
    Posted by jjswin[/QUOTE]

How's it going are you sticking to it?  Don't worry if you don't hit three days a week as recommended right off the bat, just keep going!   I just started as well, and I'm really "easing in".  I ran one day the first week, two days the second week, and this week I'm determined to actually get three days in!  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards