Florida-Central Florida

String Quartet needed

Hello all!

I am in desperate need of a string quartet or duet. We don't have a lot of money to spend on this but I would just need them for about 45 minutes to play Claire De Lune by Debussy while I walk down the aisle. I've tried emailing my school's string teachers to see if they could ask their students but so far no reply. We are just not willing to pay 300 dollars for an hour's worth of playing. Any suggestion? Who are you/did you use? My next step is asking the DJ to set up a sound system outside and play it!! The wedding is on 1-1-11 and we're almost at the 2 month mark, help!!
~ Jess & Marie 1-1-11 ~

Re: String Quartet needed

• edited December 2011
    I booked my string quartet for an hour through gigmaster.com I payed a grand total of $350. Hope this helps 
  • edited December 2011
    The lady who is doing ours is a friend of the family but she's fabulous. http://www.classicmix.org/about.html Not sure on pricing but it's worth contacting her. :)
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not trying to be rude but perhaps you should just use a CD.  You're not willing to pay four people three hundred dollars to play at your wedding.  That's less than one hundred dollars per person.  These people have to spend time rehearsing the piece that you give them and getting it right and they have to spend gas money and time driving to your wedding.  As a musician,  I wouldn't do this for anything less than a hundred dollars and I don't know any other musicians who would.  That piece is lovely on the piano.  Perhaps you should just hire a pianist instead so you would only have to pay one person.  Another thing to think about:  walking down the aisle is YOUR moment.  It should not be ruined by anything.  If you are insulting to the musicians you hire by refusing to pay them a standard price for their work, you're going to get sub par musicians and sub par playing.  Do you really want musicians who haven't rehearsed your piece at all or who don't start or stop playing at the right time or who are late to the ceremony or dressed unprofessionally?  The amount that you pay them will really determine these things as well.  
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_string-quartet-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:b602c89c-7ba2-4a83-b691-763c3683a1dePost:236b5f44-f4cb-47b2-90b4-0bbf7583205a">Re: String Quartet needed</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not trying to be rude but perhaps you should just use a CD.  You're not willing to pay four people three hundred dollars to play at your wedding.  That's less than one hundred dollars per person.  These people have to spend time rehearsing the piece that you give them and getting it right and they have to spend gas money and time driving to your wedding.  As a musician,  I wouldn't do this for anything less than a hundred dollars and I don't know any other musicians who would.  That piece is lovely on the piano.  Perhaps you should just hire a pianist instead so you would only have to pay one person.  Another thing to think about:  walking down the aisle is YOUR moment.  It should not be ruined by anything.  If you are insulting to the musicians you hire by refusing to pay them a standard price for their work, you're going to get sub par musicians and sub par playing.  Do you really want musicians who haven't rehearsed your piece at all or who don't start or stop playing at the right time or who are late to the ceremony or dressed unprofessionally?  The amount that you pay them will really determine these things as well.  
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]

Oh no, I completely think all musicians deserve at least $100 each for this, I really do!! <strong>I</strong> just can't afford to pay that. My maid of honor is actually a drummer at a theater and she's the one that told me the price was unreasonable. I'm looking for students so I don't feel so bad about not paying them as much as I should. Not everyone can afford professional musicians, we are paying for the whole thing ourselves unlike all of our friends who's parents paid for everything so we can't afford the full price. I wasn't asking for recommendations of professional musicians, just if you knew anyone who does this on the side, Also, I was told by ALL musicians I've spoken to, professional or not, that the piece I want is not only easy but everyone knows it and don't need to rehearse. Also, I was looking for someone local so I wouldn't have to pay a travel fee.
    ~ Jess & Marie 1-1-11 ~
  • edited December 2011
    Marie, the woman I recommended is a violin teacher and is actually having 2 of her students play my wedding. (she will be there also) I would suggest contacting her (tell her Becky sent you) and asking her if she has any students who would be willing. I am certain she most likely will. :) 
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand the budget issues, I just wanted you to make sure you're hiring someone who will do a good job and not ruin your wedding. If they mess it up, it's not worth the money you saved or the money you paid.  If you can't find a quartet, I highly suggest hiring a solo pianist.  It would still be really beautiful.  You might even be able to hire just a string duo.  It just gets more expensive the more people you add.  
  • Blonde407Blonde407 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used Elysee music or something (info in bio).  I used them for pre-ceremony, ceremony, and the entire cocktail hour (so about 2 hours) and it was about $650 for a harp and flute duo but they have several different packages and are good to work with.
    **Blog Sale - UPDATED 04/03/2012**
    First weight loss goal - 40lbs... DONE! Second weight loss goal - 17lbs... LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_string-quartet-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:b602c89c-7ba2-4a83-b691-763c3683a1dePost:8a4dcd7c-9165-4435-b6e5-f98fae1a1dc4">Re: String Quartet needed</a>:
    [QUOTE]Marie, the woman I recommended is a violin teacher and is actually having 2 of her students play my wedding. (she will be there also) I would suggest contacting her (tell her Becky sent you) and asking her if she has any students who would be willing. I am certain she most likely will. :) 
    Posted by x3Harmony534[/QUOTE]

Thank you so much, I will contact her tomorrow!
    ~ Jess & Marie 1-1-11 ~
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_florida-central-florida_string-quartet-needed?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:66Discussion:b602c89c-7ba2-4a83-b691-763c3683a1dePost:b978468a-561b-4709-ac90-9cd44a278439">Re: String Quartet needed</a>:
    [QUOTE]I understand the budget issues, I just wanted you to make sure you're hiring someone who will do a good job and not ruin your wedding. If they mess it up, it's not worth the money you saved or the money you paid.  If you can't find a quartet, I highly suggest hiring a solo pianist.  It would still be really beautiful.  You might even be able to hire just a string duo.  It just gets more expensive the more people you add.  
    Posted by Theresa626[/QUOTE]

I actually thought about a piano player, but we're having our ceremony outside so I don't think it's an option anymore. But I understand what you mean about hiring someone to do a god job. Although the money doesn't always reflect the job. My friend hired a thousand dollar DJ and he forgot ALL her music in another state, she had to ask her guests to get CDs from their cars, can you imagine!! Also, my friends that have had students play their weddings said that they put much more heart into it and it sounded great, unfortunately it wasn't in Florida so I can't call them up! I definitely want a string duo if I can't get a quartet. Thanks for the suggestions!
    ~ Jess & Marie 1-1-11 ~
  • edited December 2011
    I just booked Valerie at Classic Mix with 2 of her students!! I'm extremely happy :) 2 violins and a viola woohoo! Thanks for all your help everyone, especially Becky!
    ~ Jess & Marie 1-1-11 ~
  • edited December 2011
    Yay! I talked with her & she's sending the same 2 students who are doing my wedding with her. :) Hope it all goes wonderfully!!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Hey Ladies!

Does Classic Mix allow you to request specific music you'd like played for a cocktail hour or do they provide you with a list of the music they will play? I'm really interested in hiring someone for the cocktail hour but would like to mix both classical and newer music.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards