Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Irish or German Traditions

Anyone know of any Irish or German wedding traditions? My fianc is Hungarian and my father is Polish and we are doing a couple things to represent that, but my mom is Irish and German although she doesn't think it's nessecary I think it would be nice to include something from her side as well.
Bunny ??

Re: Irish or German Traditions

• We had my BFF who is an Irish fiddler play at our wedding ceremony.  There is also a tradition about carrying a horseshoe.  DH found a bracelet with shamrocks and horseshoes on it and my florist attached it to my bouquet. You could also do a handfasting. 
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • We had an Irish themed wedding on St. Patty's Day.  Although we didn't do them here are some that I know of- bride wears her hair in a braid, the horseshoe, handfasting.  We did have a bag piper play during our recessional.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • There's not very much on this that I've found, but there's a similar tradition to the Celtic Handfasting, called Handsal.  I was looking for things because my DH is German and Ukrainian, but we're both Pagan, so the Handfasting worked for us. 
    image Don't mess with the old dogs; age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited January 2013
    Stage, I just wanted to tell you that your Tiding Stones was where we got our idea for the river rock "guest book" that we did. Back when I was a lurker, I had seen you post about it and thought it was the coolest thing, so we did a simplified version and just had guests sign river rocks which we keep in a vase on the mantel. Our guests loved it, too. 

So thanks! Smile
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Thanks for the suggestions!!!
    Bunny ??
  • German-- sawing a log together as your first challenge as husband and wife; done outside the church. German-- bride and groom toss coins to the children who attended the ceremony as they leave the church.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards