Wedding Etiquette Forum

Service Charge Help

Hi,

We are planning our wedding/reception at a state lodge in Ohio.  There is a 20% service fee surcharge on all our food/drink purposes.  When we asked our sales rep, she said the 20% was not gratuity, but was used to pay the worker's wages.  It was not a terribly clear answer.  Is it typical for service charges to NOT be applied to gratuity? Do waitstaff at lodges like this typically not receive full wages making additional gratuity expected?? Help!

Re: Service Charge Help

• A service charge is not at all uncommon and if she told you it does not cover gratuity then you should tip as you normally would (presumably in the 20% range).
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_service-charge-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:d2c30fba-066b-4788-97b6-b7c33b19fc8dPost:a8168fee-53c7-467b-a918-0406bdf05c86">Re: Service Charge Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]A service charge is not at all uncommon and if she told you it does not cover gratuity then you should tip as you normally would (presumably in the 20% range).
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  My venue also included a 20% tip that did not include gratuity because their workers were paid full hourly wages rather than the scant wages that most waitstaff who depend on tips receive.  However, they are still providing a service to you, and I would strongly urge you to tip them normally.  After all, you'd still tip a vendor like a DJ, even though they already get paid by the hour or per event.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • xxstardustxxstardust member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited February 2013
    Where I have worked in the past, the service fee was how we got paid. That portion of the bill was how our salaries got paid. That money went to everyone a party - waitstaff, chefs, dishwashers, etc. There was no gratuity added onto the contract.

However, while our service charge is our regular pay, we do make more than regular waitstaff. We were paid $120/shift for a wedding, which was roughly 8 hours (with setup and cleanup), so $15/hr.

I will say, however, that a gratuity was always nice. It became much more unexpected, however - people do assume that the service fee is a tip and we rarely saw little else in the banquet halls. I don't think they would be completely shocked not to get a tip if that's the way the language in the contract is presented (and if that's the way the office staff was explaining it, only when questioned) - they probably don't always get one. The staff does work very hard, however, so if it's in your budget and if the service is excellent it's always nice to consider adding a gratuity.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• I think it depends highly on the location. At my venue, the 20% service charge DOES cover gratuity. I would ask her to clarify.
  • Our venue charges at 18% service fee, but also include the 20% gratiuity as well. Are you sure your contract doesn't include both? 
                                                                                  Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Our contract has a service charge and gratuity and taxes .. All if which you can get quoted based on a high estimate of people attending so you can have them included in your budget. At least that was how it worked with my venue. I wasn't sure how they applied them so I asked and I got an estimate statement based on the highest number of people that would attend the wedding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker ~~December Sept. 2013 Siggy Challenge~~ Now & Then Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • At our venue the service charge does not include gratuity. We asked for a list of employees that will be working our wedding, and plan to include tips in thank you cards for all of them.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards