Wedding Reception Forum
Options

Wedding Scavenger Hunt?

I heard of some couples having a "wedding scavenger hunt" at their receptions.  Our ceremony and reception are at the same place, so I am looking for activities during the cocktail hour (besides the bar) for our guests while the BP is taking photos.  Has anyone tried this at their wedding?
PitaPata Dog tickers

Daisypath Wedding tickers

Re: Wedding Scavenger Hunt?

• Options
    I would just let your guests enjoy drinks, food, and conversation.  If you're wedding is at all formal, people aren't going to want to run around on a scavenger hunt with their drinks.  Adults can entertain themselves.  
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I agree that food, drinks and maybe some background music playing are all I really need as a guest during cocktail hour to keep me entertained. Most adults can entertain themselves by socializing with other people.

I also think it depends on the formality of your event. If it wasn't a super formal event, and you had, say, lawn games available for those who wanted to participate, I think that's fine. But the key thing is to make it just available, not put any guest in a position where they feel like they have to play.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    The bar, something to snack on and good company is all I need to keep me entertained at a cocktail hour.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    My only suggestion, if you do this, is to make sure it is both optional and practical. There was a couple on Four Weddings that had a scavenger hunt between the ceremony and reception. The problem was, it was on the beach. Many people complained about having to go pick items off the beach in nice clothing and heels. I do agree with pp that cocktails and a bite to eat is all you really need, though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DItto PP. Adults don't need games to mingle. Good food, drinks and good company is all they need.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-scavenger-hunt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b30cf84e-9311-488f-ae45-9527e330126ePost:ec214530-ce3f-4f0b-a32a-a493c141fda5">Re:Wedding Scavenger Hunt?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My only suggestion, if you do this, is to make sure it is both optional and practical. There was a couple on <strong>Four Weddings that had a scavenger hunt between the ceremony and reception. The problem was, it was on the beach. Many people complained about having to go pick items off the beach in nice clothing and heels.</strong> I do agree with pp that cocktails and a bite to eat is all you really need, though.
    Posted by VJones1981[/QUOTE]

I saw that episode.  It looked like a hot mess.  Anyways, scavenger hunts are for kids bithday parties and not really appropriate for a wedding, IMO. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    You could also consider a photo booth, which is really popular right now. In addition to drinking and food, some guests could be doing that.
  • Options
    Why do so many brides think grown adults are not capable of mingling and making conversation for an hour?  I don't know any who want to play games at a reception.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-scavenger-hunt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b30cf84e-9311-488f-ae45-9527e330126ePost:e6e35110-0063-4ff3-ad16-f5718dc8a766">Re: Wedding Scavenger Hunt?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do so many brides think grown adults are not capable of mingling and making conversation for an hour?  I don't know any who want to play games at a reception.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

I know right?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-scavenger-hunt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:b30cf84e-9311-488f-ae45-9527e330126ePost:e6e35110-0063-4ff3-ad16-f5718dc8a766">Re: Wedding Scavenger Hunt?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why do so many brides think grown adults are not capable of mingling and making conversation for an hour?  I don't know any who want to play games at a reception.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Cosigned
             Maire

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_wedding-scavenger-hunt?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:b30cf84e-9311-488f-ae45-9527e330126ePost:f52f0194-3ddf-4722-954e-e8d1238284ab">Wedding Scavenger Hunt?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I heard of some couples having a "wedding scavenger hunt" at their receptions.  Our ceremony and reception are at the same place, so I am looking for activities during the cocktail hour (<strong>besides the bar</strong>) for our guests while the BP is taking photos.  Has anyone tried this at their wedding?
    Posted by leoael[/QUOTE]

Trust me, the bar during cocktail hour will be enough.
  • Options
    Cocktail hour has always struck me as a "mingle and converse" time, and games and icebreakers don't seem necessary to me.
  • Options
    The only time I think a scavenger hunt would be fun is during a bachelorette party.  
  • Options
    all i can say is make sure some type of music is playing and your guests have adequate snacks. just went to a wedding in september and sat for an hour in complete silence. it bored everyone to death. we left early.
  • Options
    The only type of scavenger hunt I've seen at a wedding was back in the day when there were disposable cameras on the table and a list of suggested photos.  I was also 20 (as were all my friends) and it was a fun, totally optional, non-organized thing, but I'm not sure that it's practical anymore, what with digital photography.  You could put out a list of "See if you can catch these photos!"  They were always more random things, like

The bride dancing with a friend
    The groom laughing
    The mother of the bride sitting down
    A guest dancing
    Someone with red shoes

Totally random, and each list was different.  Like I said, it was fun then, but I was 20 and stoopid :-P
  • Options
    I agree with everything so far. What kind of guest book are you having? maybe do something more interactive like one of those fingerprint trees? Or maybe like a Photo-guest book with polarioids? Or a "date night" guestbook? This may bring some more laughs  without being an "activity"  Also, maybe have some trivia napkins with fun facts? Idk what your budget is, but those may be conversation starters :)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the input! The wedding is going to be more casual and outdoors, so now I feel confident the food, drink, and scenery will be enough! Although some of your ideas with photos seem cool too.
    PitaPata Dog tickers

Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards