Wedding Photography and Videography Forum

thinking about this with photographers

but I want to know what people think.
Photographers are just crazy expensive.
I don't even know if it's advisable to do but I remember reading about a way to get lower quotes from vendors. It wouldn't work with all of them like a florist but where you can you simply say you are having a party or a special event and you request a quote for their services for x-amount of hours.
I can understand people doing that. It seems as soon as I say wedding the price jumps. I say that seems unfair. Is it just me?
Would you try this?

Re: thinking about this with photographers

• You could try it, but if I were a vendor, I wouldn't want to work with you after you lied to me.

And FWIW, I found the "wedding mark-up" to mostly be a myth, in my own personal experience.  The only place we encountered that charged more for weddings versus generic events was our reception hall, and that's because they serve an additional course at weddings, so the "mark-up" was accounted for.
    imagemy to-read shelf:
    Steph's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • edited August 2012
    The thing is, I don't know how that would work. I guess if you just wanted pricing, but most photographers post their prices on their website and you can easily find out without talking to them at all.

Also, if you asked for, say, them to photograph a party, that would probably only be for a few hours. You will most likely want them for more than that on your wedding day. I mean, as soon as you seriously started talking with one, it would come out that you were actually doing a wedding and they would change the price on you then. Their price for a 2 hour party does not equal their price for a wedding. Until you have something in writing, you aren't going to get them to stick with the original price you got from lying to them, KWIM? The logistics just don't seem to work here.

And even if you said up front, "I'd like your services for 8 hours," they would immediately get suspicious it's a wedding. They would start asking for more details, and then you would be lying about everything.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Most photographers, for special events, charge their hourly rate (which in most cases is how they come up with their pricing for weddings).  I would not try to do it.  Being deceptive to get a low rate is not the way to go. 
  • Also keep in mind that if you hire a photographer under the pretense that it is for a "party" and they show up and it is in fact a wedding you are in breach of contract. Therefore, via most photographers contracts, they would just leave your wedding without taking a single picture and legally be able to keep all of your money since you acted fraudulantly. 

Are you willing to risk your photographer bailing on the day of, just to hypothetically save a buck? I'm not.
  • The photographer would probably show up and still shoot your wedding despite the fact that you weren't honest with them. They may be less prepared and ceratin shots might be missed because there's a lot more planning and equipment necessary when shooting a wedding (why it might be more expensive than a regular event shoot). Your photographer might be royally pissed at you for lying to them (personally, on my special day, I don't want my photog being irritated with me). And lastly, if you signed a contract, there's a very good chance that you voided that contract when you lied. You will probably receive an additional invoice for the extra work the photographer had to do and you will probably not see a single image until it's paid for. 

I would advise against doing this. It's also just wrong and extremely dishonest. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards