Illinois-Chicago
Options

New to board- Planning a Wedding in N.Chicagoland from Alaska!

Hello Ladies!
I thought I would introduce myself here since I will no doubt be around. 

I am planning an early summer wedding in 2011 in a Northern Chicago suburb (the church is actually in Volo, IL, though the reception probably wont be.) from Fairbanks, Alaska (we don't even have a bridal shop here!).  I will only be able to make one pre-wedding trip down there for about a week in December (around Christmas) so I will be doing much of my planning over the internet.  My FH and his family is from the Wheeling area, so I will have some help from them.

Any advice you ladies can give would be enormously helpful.  I kinda freak out when I think about venues, caterers, DJs, florists, etc.!!

Re: New to board- Planning a Wedding in N.Chicagoland from Alaska!

• Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!  We live perhaps 10 miles directly south of Volo.  It is a lovely, country-esque area but close to just about anything and everything you may need!  Venues can range from country club/golf courses, hotels/banquet halls, barn and country settings, theatres....any vision you have you can find in this area! 

My daughter is also getting married next June in Buffalo Grove, which is right next to Wheeling.  My "knot name" mobkaz actually stands for "mother of bride" and my initials. 

I am sure your husbands family will be most helpful to you.  But if you need any insights into just about any category, please feel free to ask away!!  I am not particularly "savvy" when it comes to this format, but I tend to check almost daily here. 

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks mobkaz!

His mom volunteered his 18 yearold sister to be my wedding planner.  Since we are the 4th sibling in the family to get married, she has more wedding experience than I do!

Right now I'm trying to find a venue that I can afford that I actually like.  I really like the idea of a rustic/barn reception and was looking at the Byron Colby Barn and the Vehe barn but the vehe looks too small the I've read that the Byron Colby event coordinator can be difficult which I really don't need when doing this from accross the world!  Do you know of any other barn venues?

Im also seriously considering hotels since it would make it a ton easier on out of town guests.
  • Options
    MobKazMobKaz member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Hi CurlyKaty...

I am familiar with both the Byron Colby barn and Vehe----I can literally walk to the Vehe barn---not even a mile from my home!  I have not been inside, but the outside ---well.....looks a tad run down.  It is also extremely busy with soccer games on the weekends.  I don't know as much about the BC barn altho it is quite pretty.  You could try finding reviews on Yelp.com

A few other suggestions that come to mind:

Independence Grove in Libertyville (events at Independence Grove.com)
    The Chicago Botanical Gardens
    Ravinia (just started doing weddings) in Highland Park
    The Lake County Museum
    Kemper Lakes Golf Club in Kildeer
    The Seasons of Long Grove IL
    The Country Squire in Grayslake
    Brae Loch Banquets in Grayslake

None of these are actually barns but all offer a countryesque setting.  Many venues also have patio areas that can be used in addition to their indoor dining.  I also believe, with the exception of possible Brae Loch and Ravinia, at most of these venues you would be the only wedding party.  That was important to us.

As far as hotels, many, many venues, not just hotels per se, now offer complimentary shuttle service from private venues to their hotels.  My wedding venue, a golf course in Buffalo Grove, partners with 4 different hotels within a 4 mile radius, that offer complimentary shuttle service in addition to block room rates.  Even tho not as many of my guests are from out-of-town, a lot of the bride/grooms friends will take advantage of this service so that they do not have to worry about their drinking at the reception.

Sounds like you are marrying into a wonderfully experienced family.  I am happy to "piggy back" any of their suggestions. 

Good luck!! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ooo That Seasons of Long Grove looks absolutely gorgeous!  It may be just what I want, though a little stretch in my budget!  It's definitely one to send his sister to.  I also requested information from the Marriott in Lincolnshire this morning.

Thanks again Mobkaz!
  • Options
    lunacydresslunacydress member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got married at Byron Colby Barn last month and would be happy to give you any info you'd like!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards